Hidden Sentiments

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 48 Hidden Sentiments

 

 

Kota was pushing his brain to work harder, thinking about a way to save Nami and Akari when he heard the news that the former King Advisor Arioka Eichi had died in the dungeon. The old man should be the third in the list to be executed. Now, there was only Morimoto Akagi left before his father turned to Nami or her daughter. Fulfilling his promise was not only the cause he had to succeed in protecting them, but it more because he was worried about Suzuka who was currently with Ryosuke. If they died and the news reached Ryosuke, he dared not to bet Ryosuke would not harm his sister regardless his reputation.

As he walked passed by the Royal Palace training ground, he saw Ryunosuke doing horse-riding. The crown prince was maneuvering with his war horse flawlessly, sparring with his head of guards. He admitted that he was no match to the prince in physical strength, but he would never lose in wit.

Ryunosuke was dangerous not only because his superb skills, but also because of his sadistic character. Though it was not an unusual trait in Okamoto clan, it was still a bit unnerving to see it in Ryunosuke. He needed to be more careful as he sensed that Ryunosuke was keeping an eye on him. He also realized that the prince had not trusted him and his father. But who in their right minds would trust someone who betrayed their own kin? He was sure Ryunosuke had not been aware about the fact that Keito was not an Okamoto.

He strode to the throne chamber to meet his father. Remembering about his father, he was reminded of his aunt, Okamoto Yumi. Her suicide was surprising yet expected at the same time. He should have known for a proud lady of Okamoto like her, living with shame was way harder than death. His father, too, no matter great his hatred was toward Aunt Yumi, his father could not evade the trace of love inside him. For when they found out about her suicide, he was the only witness of his father shedding silent tears over her dead body.

When this cycle of punishment will end?

He wondered whether his father would react the same way to Suzuka. He remembered how his father went livid when he found out about Suzuka’s runaway. Despite all neat plans he had arranged regarding Suzuka and Keito, he could not help but worry because his father was a Prime Minister and head of Okamoto clan not for nothing. Yet, he himself was also the best and youngest negotiator in Hakumei’s history for reasons. He could confidently mask his wrongdoings in front of his father and their people’s eyes. Again, the only reason for him to worry was the presence of the crown prince of Seiryoku.

He stepped into the throne chamber and saw his father discussing something with one of their ministers.

“Greeting, Father,” he bowed as reverence.

“Ah, son, it’s a convenient coincidence for you to come here right now,” his father beckoned him to come closer.

“Did something happen?” He asked when he saw the pale face of the minister.

“It seems you have to hold the whip hand in this matter,” his father signed to the minister to explain things they were discussing before his arrival.

Listening to the explanation, he recognized the new problem brewed. The Kingdoms Alliance Court, the highest court consisted of appointed representatives from all seven kingdoms—Hakumei, Seiryoku, Ryūsei, Komāsu, Kyōkai, Sabaku, and Heiwa—had sent an inquiry about Hakumei’s circumstance. He, Kawashima Nobuo and Arioka Shinichi were Hakumei’s representatives in that court. The other two had been assassinated just before his family started the assailant of Royal Palace, and he himself had withdrawn from the court without giving any notice to the board in charge. So it was just a matter of time until the inquiry sent to them. It was not unforeseen for he had counted it in their calculation.

“Should I handle this by myself, minister? What will be your work then?” He threw a cynical gaze to the minister.

“Pardon, Your Highness, the court has not been satisfied with the explanation we sent,” the minister’s voice was slightly trembled.

“You’ve explained as I told you?”

“Yes, Your Highness, but they demand for our representative to give a presentation in the court.”

“That’s why, Kota, you’re the one should go,” his father concluded.

He mulled over things and came to a consideration.

“Could we discuss this matter only between us, Father?”

His father dismissed the minister and guards, leaving only them in the chamber.

“What is it?”

“Should I really go, Father?” He answered. “Couldn’t we leave it to cousins? They’ll be capable enough I think.”

“We can’t risk anything, son. Getting the court out of our way is important.”

“I’m just worried leaving you with Ryunosuke,” he voiced out his thought.

“Don’t worry. He is still too green to take me off guard. He is just a spoil brat that has more physical strength, but not mentality, and as long as he is here, Arata will not step into our territory,” his father looked composed and confident.

“I understand,” he replied. “I’m still wondering why he is so obsessed with Ryosuke though.”

“Doesn’t matter. It only benefits us. You just take care of the court.”

“I’ll do as you wish,” he obeyed his father.

A short silence passed before he spoke more, “Father, I never ask anything before, but please grant my request just this once.”

His father looked at him with searching gaze, “Yes, son, I shall give anything you want as long as it is harmless to our plan. What is it?”

He firmly requested, “Please spare Nami and her daughter’s life.”

His father narrowed his eyes, surprised and disagreed, “Why should you want that?”

“I believe Ryosuke will not budge from his stance against us even though their life is in danger. He will be just like King Shohei that will prioritize the kingdom over his family. I suggest we falsify their death and keep them as hidden custody.”

“If that’s the case, why don’t you suggest the same for Morimoto Akagi? You hide something from me, Kota?” his father’s eyes were piercing.

He was unyielding when he said, “How if I say I want her for myself?”

His father gave him a look of amusement, not anger, and he had predicted that. “Ah, that’s a good news, you’re finally interested in woman, but why it should be her, Kota? She has been tainted by a Nakajima.”

“I apologize for saying this, but you’re the one that made her so, Father. It’s not her fault. She only served our family as an obedient bride and she doesn’t have anything to do with our predicament.”

He remembered clearly that the arrangement of Keito and Nami’s marriage was in his father’s hand. It was a rule in his family that the members of main branch of Okamoto clan should marry one from their lineage to keep the purity of Okamoto’s bloodline. Thus they made Keito married Nami. That happened before they found out that Keito was not an Okamoto. Had they known about the truth, they would not let a pure blood of Okamoto like Nami married Keito.

“Yes, you’re right,” his father shrugged, “But why you suddenly have interest in her?”

He recited, “You asked me before why I had not thought about marriage, Father, and though you’ve tried to force me into one, I would not concede.”

“Yes, and you always evaded to answer me.”

He answered this time, “It’s because you had given the only woman I wanted to Keito.”

It was not a total lie when he said that. He did love Nami in the past. Nami was a year older than Suzuka and six years younger than him. Despite came from the second branch, Nami was raised in the main branch of Okamoto, living with him and Suzuka until she married Keito in her sixteen. It was only a childhood crush, born only because he had not understood about the responsibility as the future leader of Okamoto and had not known that Nami had been betrothed to Keito since she was five. Now, that everything had been clear, the only thing in his mind was his family welfare, or more accurately in this case, his sister safety.

His father searched his face for any sign of joking, yet he did not show even one. His father sighed and replied, “So, that’s the reason. Why did you not say anything back then?”

He retorted, “Would you change your mind if I told you that, Father? I believed you wouldn’t.”

His father chuckled lightly, “You’re right. I would never change the plan.”

“That’s why I didn’t speak.”

His father taunted, “Then why now you still want her? You intend to marry her?”

He softened his gaze, trying to act as if he was suffering, “No, I can’t marry a tainted woman. I just want her to stay alive.”

His father raised a brow and he added, “You should have known better, Father. It is easier to see our loved one living in pain than not seeing them at all, isn’t it?”

He referred to his father and his aunt’s relationship.

His father inhaled a deep breath, “So, what exactly you plan about her and her daughter?”

“Spare them, Father. We can falsify their deaths, and as my gratitude, I won’t object to your choice of bride for me anymore.”

“Fine. It’s a good exchange and it’s a reward you deserve.”

He bowed in gratefulness, “Thank you, Father.”

**********

Yuma was inspecting the troop. A thousand and four hundreds soldiers were under his responsibility now, and though Keito and Hikaru had helped, he still had to handle the biggest part. Keito should not been exposed too much, thus Keito took a part behind the curtain. Hikaru had not been fully recovered, thus he could not strained himself, besides Hikaru would lead the escape caravan and needed to prepare for that too.

He counted the days. A week remained until the winter ended. When the spring arrived, he would lead the troop to travel down the mountain to join with the rest a thousand and five hundreds soldiers at the ground base. Thus he had started preparing for the journey. He assumed that Nakajima and Arioka’s troop which was a thousand in aggregate would remain in the South-East Province, preparing to move to the south if the negotiation with the rebels had positive result. Based on what Ryosuke told Keito, they also had a thousand of Morimoto’s men spread out all over the regions and five hundred additions from Yaotome and several minor clans. He took a breath imagining the battle before his eyes.

Reaching a certain part of the training ground, he saw the medical team. Among them he spotted the two ladies he was in charge of, too. Mirai a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter