Startling Encounter

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 17 Startling Encounter

 

A large group traveled through the convenient road of Hakumei. Glamorous outfits and prideful nature adored every single one of the traveler. The troops guarding the noblemen wore the uniforms that everyone recognized even at first glance. Their eyes shined under the sun, reflecting the confidence of beholder. The horses lined up in discipline order. The warhorses they rode alone could send chill to the people who passed.

Far ahead they stared at the high building that signified the power of their host, the Royal Palace of Hakumei. On the front row of the caravan, the two most significant persons sat regally on their stallion. The younger smirked upon seeing the view. For him, the palace looked like a doll house; it would be too easy to crush with a single blow. The soldiers guarding it seemed so weak and thin, nothing compared to his men. Reminiscing about the plan his father told him for their visit, the conqueror spirit in him anticipated the fun he would have in a time ahead.

It was the first time for him to visit Kingdom of Hakumei officially as the crown prince of Seiryoku. Yet, he could recognize the two figure heading toward their direction, the two jewel of this kingdom, his long-life rivals: Prince Keito and Prince Ryosuke.

His hosts dismounted their stallion so he and his companions did as well. It had been five years since the last time he met them, but he could tell they did not change much. Keito was modestly warm and Ryosuke still as cold as ever.

“Welcome to Hakumei, Your Majesty, King Arata of Seiryoku,” Keito bowed and addressed his father. “And to you too, Prince Ryunosuke. It’s an honor to receive your visit.” To him Keito nodded in acknowledgement.

Ryosuke followed his brother giving the proper reverence.

“Ah, isn’t it Prince Keito and Prince Ryosuke? You’ve grown to fine young men,” his father greeted.

He stepped forward, “Long time no see, Keito-kun, Ryosuke-kun.”

He saw Keito smiled returning his greeting, while, to his dismay, Ryosuke stoically greeted back.

“Kamiki-kun.”

After exchanging greetings, the hosts guided him and his father, followed by his general and guarding squad to enter the palace, while most of his troops stayed outside the gate as the safety protocol allowed.

Throwing his glance around, he found nothing interesting. He might only look forward to spar with either Keito or Ryosuke, or their captains for entertaining his stay in the kingdom…..or might have fun with the ladies. He smirked at the latter.

Reaching the front of the throne chamber, he narrowed his eyes as he trying to make out the descending ladies. One had the appearance of the pregnant lady, so it must be Keito’s wife, but the other lady looked slim and slender. Seeing Ryosuke advanced toward her to receive her hand, he assumed that she must be his wife. He would have been indifferent as he did not like involving himself with the married ladies, yet something sparked his interest.

As Ryosuke and his wife stepped closer toward his group, he tried to make out the face of the lady. She was familiar. When they had arrived in front of him and he could see her clearly, a smirk could not be stopped from appearing on his face. Keito and Ryosuke introduced their wife. When it was his turn to greet Ryosuke’s wife, the thrill in him awaken as he saw the lady widened her eyes seeing him. He recognized her and it seemed she did as well.

Shida Mirai, so that’s her name. Seems this visit’s going to be so much fun…

**********

Keito had been restless since the letter informing the visit of the king and the crown prince of Seiryoku came. It was a big shock for the entire council. They had just closed the royal campaign assault case that involving the poison which somehow related to Seiryoku and then the messenger came. Seiryoku was currently the strongest kingdom among all that Hakumei had no choice but to accept the visit. Denial might encourage them to declare a war toward Hakumei.

His father had bestowed him the tasks to welcome and guide them through their days in Hakumei because his father was not in good condition to do that, while Ryosuke would host them in the Outer Palace. A friendly visit it was, stated in their letter, yet he knew there was no way a king would travel out of their kingdom only for a leisure walk. The fact that they visited when his father was ill worsen the sentiment. The royal council had been aware of the threat came into sight.

It was not an understatement for saying them as a national threat as Keito witnessed the troops following the king and the crown prince. They had brought their large force to the maximum limit as Hakumei’s protocol allowed; and he sensed they still had more in their sleeves. When he met eyes with Ryosuke, he knew that his brother felt the same. Of course, he thought, Ryosuke had always been observant that it was impossible he did not notice it.

Smiling warmly as he welcomed the caravan, he had to stifle the irritation rose upon seeing the smug on the crown prince’s face. Kamiki Ryunosuke… was so full of himself as always.

As the future king of Hakumei, he must not pose unpleasant manner and not display any inferiority at the same time. Thus he was grateful having Ryosuke as he was. While he would play the courteous host, Ryosuke would add the menace in Hakumei’s stance. He applauded in his mind when he saw Ryunosuke’s smirk faltered slightly upon Ryosuke’s almost indifferent greeting. Indeed, I will need Ryosuke when I rule the kingdom.

**********

The meeting of the two kings was witnessed by all the members of royal council of Hakumei. Though the friendly hugs and smiles had been exchanged, the tense in the air had not dispersed.  As the conversation between them going, Mirai stole a glance once in a while to the figure of the crown prince stood beside the king of Seryoku.

No, it can’t be him…

She unconsciously clenched the skirt of her dress tighter.

At some point in the past Mirai could see her younger self run through the forest near the north border of Hakumei. She had been traveling with her brother, yet somehow she was separated with him. Blame her curiosity over a deer. She had proudly proclaimed herself as an adventurer that she often distressed her mother for her sudden disappearance due to her mischievous exploration. Yet, being alone in an unfamiliar environment made the little girl in her trembled in fear.

She had wandered around the market where she thought Hikaru might visit. Yet, until the dusk fell, she didn’t see even his back. Thinking to search a place to shelter her for the night, she unknowingly walked to a deserted alley and stumbled upon a group of unfriendly-looking men. Right, she had learned how to defend herself, but there was no way she could beat them all.

She staggered to escape, trying to not make a single noise that would alert the men. However, the fortune was not in her side. The sound from the broken twig she stepped on invited their attention.

“Well, well, what we have here? A young beautiful lady grace our time.” One of them smirked.

“Looks like a rich one,” the other joined.

“I… I don’t have anything for you,” Mirai staggered away.

“Think we can bring her to boss?”

“He will give us a good price for this.”

“That after we have fun with the little one here.”

Sensing the danger, Mirai pushed her trembling feet to run. That was how she ended up in the forest.

She had run with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter