Unprecedented Turns

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompany Song: Together Forever (Hey! Say! JUMP)

 

Chapter 33 Unprecedented Turns

 

A week had passed and the days had really embraced the arrival of winter. It had been too cold to go out without a warm coat or stay in the room without kindled fire. Only a matter of time until the first snow of the season fell and they would be isolated at the top of the mountain, too dangerous to travel down the freezing roads. Thus Ryosuke had pushed himself harder to map out his plans after making the decision to accept his fate.

Between his times sinking in his own thought, sometimes he wondered whether it would give a different result if he took a longer time to think about it. Yet, he always shrugged it off right after the thought appeared, because he knew by the dire state and the very limited time they had this time, he might only regret it if he took longer time just to make up his mind.

And now, after the plans had been finalized, he should carry it out fast. That was why today he had three names in his list to be summoned. He sighed for the last time before instructing the guard to call Yuto into his study chamber.

**********

Yuto had received words that Ryosuke had agreed to take the lead, not only for the Alliance, but also Hakumei’s throne. For the past week, he had seen many people entered and exited Ryosuke’s study chamber one after the other, seemed to be summoned and given tasks by Ryosuke. He was worried and jealous at the same time. Not that he resented his duty to protect Mirai, but knew Ryosuke making steps without involving him arose his bad feeling about their relationship. That was why, when finally Ryosuke summoned him, he could not predict what waited for him ahead.

He entered the chamber and saw Ryosuke sitting behind his desk, scribbling something on the paper.

“Just sit down,” Ryosuke said without looking up from his work.

He did as he was told and waited until Ryosuke finished. Seconds after, he saw Ryosuke put the paper away then faced him.

“Yuto,” Ryosuke started with his commanding tone, but he was a bit relief seeing the eyes were not as cold as they were the last time they met.

“Tell me about Keito’s father,” Ryosuke demanded.

He gathered up his memories before proceeding with the explanation, “His name was Yasuragi. He was my father’s younger brother. He was assigned to guard the queen. Though, actually without anyone noticing, he was Lady Yumi’s lover even before she married King Shohei. We found out about it after the sin happened. I didn’t know him personally, because he was no longer alive when I grew up.”

“How did he die?”

“He committed suicide.”

Ryosuke went silent to contemplate then suddenly asked.

“Was that the reason you ended your relationship with Suzuka?”

This turn of conversation caught him off guard. He was at loss.

“You and Suzuka were almost similar with your uncle and Lady Yumi; a secret love between Nakajima and Okamoto,” Ryosuke continued when he did not respond. “You felt guilty toward Yamada Family because of that. Am I right?”

He was surprised Ryosuke could read him so easily, but eventually he answered, “Yes.”

Hearing that, Ryosuke intertwined his fingers and put them in front of him; slightly covered his chin and mouth, while his elbows propped against the desk. His gaze was somehow piercing but tender at the same time.

“Personally, I didn’t mind you have relationship with Suzuka, Yuto,” Ryosuke said, “I don’t believe that someone should bear the burden of another’s sin. No matter what lineage she comes from, she has her own life. You, too. So, don’t feel guilty because of that.”

He listened obediently to Ryosuke not only because he had to, but also because Ryosuke never talked to him like this before.

“Instead, you should feel guilty because you had hid it from me,” Ryosuke added.

“I’m sorry,” he said with the regret in his heart.

Ryosuke went silent again for awhile before continuing, “And about the recent truth… I am angry with the predicament, and maybe it will last for a long time before I can forgive anyone involved in this. But, I don’t resent you because you’re a Nakajima.”

“I was mad at you and I still am, but it’s not because I hate you. It’s because you’re my most trusted friend that having you kept secrets from me hurt me so much.”

He felt tears started welling up, not only because the guilt of hurting Ryosuke’s trust, but also hearing Ryosuke’s confession. He was trained as a warrior that supposed to not shed tears easily, but now it was too much.

“Now that my fate has been sealed, I can’t be as ignorant as I was. I value our friendship, Yuto, that’s why I offer you an option.”

His heart started to pick up, “What is it?”

“Though it is cruel, you have no other choice but to stay in this turbulence with me. However, I want you to choose where you’re going to stay: be an ordinary member of my council and stay at arm length, or be my right hand and stay by my side.”

He gulped while forming his answer that had always been clear to him, but Ryosuke added.

“I warn you, though. Being my right hand, I demand an absolute honesty from you, and I don’t know whether I can give you as much as I take from you.”

He understood the consequence. He had sworn to himself since long time ago that he would be Ryosuke’s shield as long as Ryosuke wished, and also to fulfill the vow his family declared to Yamada Family. He had hurt Ryosuke’s trust once, and now that he was given the second chance, he knew what he should do.

“I want to be your right hand.” He answered firmly.

Ryosuke kept the silence stretched out before he stood. He followed him to stand.

“Give me your hand,” Ryosuke instructed.

He held his hand out which Ryosuke took immediately.

Ryosuke placed something in his palm and said, “Don’t disappoint me again, Yuto-kun.”

He noticed the return of the honorific and smiled, “Never. I promise.”

Ryosuke released his hand and dismissed him, “You can go now.”

Before Ryosuke sat down, he reached out to him and pulled him in an embrace, the desk between them made only their upper body held onto each other. It was just a brief brotherly hug, but it was more than enough because Ryosuke responded to it.

“Thank you, Ryosuke.” He said before bowing and left the chamber.

He opened his palm and smiled seeing the thing in it. It was a square gold badge with Yamada Family’s crest craved on the surface, and when he turned the badge around he saw a five-edge star craved on the other side: Yamada Ryosuke’s insignia.

**********

Yuri saw Yuto left Ryosuke’s study chamber with a big smile and wondered what happened inside. Not long after Yuto left, the guard in front of the door bellowed his name. He sighed before exiting his hideout. Since they arrived at the castle he could no longer able to sneak in and out freely as he usually did because Ryosuke forbad him, so he should entered the chamber normally by walking through the front door.

“Sit down, Chii,” Ryosuke said when he arrived before his desk.

“Do you need me to do something?” He asked after taking a seat.

Ryosuke gave him a smile which successfully took him in silent astonishment. When was the last time since he saw Ryosuke smiled? It was on Ryosuke’s twentieth birthday surprise did by Keito, Yuto, Daiki, and Mirai while he himself hopelessly watching from the shadow. Yes, that was the last time he saw Ryosuke smiled, so what happened now? Somehow Ryosuke smile did not give him a good feeling.

“Yes and no.” The smile still attached on Ryosuke’s face.

“I don’t get it.”

“Ne, Chii, since when we’ve been together?” Ryosuke evaded explaining.

“We met for the first time when we were nine, when you choose me as your shadow, and we’ve been together ever since. So, almost twelve years I count.”

Ryosuke’s smile softened, “Do you know the reason I chose you?”

“No, you never tell me.”

Ryosuke eyed him for awhile, a hint of mischievous glinted and once again he wondered when the last time he saw it, “Because you were so cute and small, like a squirrel.”

He frowned, “Oi, Ryosuke!”

“That’s a compliment, Chii.”

He saw Ryosuke’s smile faded away until vanished completely, replaced by a ghost of sadness in the eyes, and suddenly something in his stomach dropped. Ryosuke was up to something.

“Maybe that’s why I always thought you as my little brother though we’re in the same age. You’re so loyal and incredible. I always envy how you can move so fast, you know.”

He frowned deeply. He sensed the conversation led to something he would not like.

“We grew up together and depended on each other. Or should I say I depended so much on you. You always accompany me in my solitude without complaining. I’m really grateful. I wish you happiness, Chii, that’s why…,” Ryosuke brought a small craved box to sight and pushed it across the desk toward him.

“What is it?” He asked cautiously. His heart beat faster, anticipated what he would see inside the box.

“Just open it,” Ryosuke instructed.

He immediately opened the box, fear crept up in him. Once he saw the content, it was as though his heart stopped beating. His chest tightened. Inside the box was a dagger, a very beautiful one. The steel craved with his initial name on its upper surface, glinted brightly under the chamber’s light. The hilt was craved with stylish tendrils of black, gold, and red color, and he could see pieces of little diamonds planted artistically along the hilt.

Without him noticing, a lone tear escape his eyes, dropped on the dagger. He understood what it meant. When his substance gave him a weapon, it only meant that…

“I’m freeing you, Chii. You’re no longer my shadow.”

His tears flowed harder. He looked up to Ryosuke and asked, “Why? Did I disappoint you?”

“No. You never disappoint me,” Ryosuke answered soon. “I have wanted to do it since a long time, but I don’t have the power. I want you to have your own life, Chii. You deserve a freedom, not chained to someone else.”

“But I live with the purpose of protecting you all this time… now… how can I live…”

“Then find another reason to live. Like finding your brother, Kei, maybe, or protecting Ami-san. Or anything you can do. Just live for yourself, Chii.”

Silence stretched out between them.

He was struggling to compose himself when Ryosuke said, “Or you can be my council.”

He looked up, “Be… your council?”

“I don’t know if you want it, though, since you don’t like politics and such.”

He indeed did not like politics and bureaucracy, and he might not be any help to Ryosuke though he became a member, but was that the only way to stay at Ryosuke’s side? Was there no other way? Reel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter