Hello, Counsellor

Scarlett Reviews' Archives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hello counsellor” by Epione.
Reviewed by Nicolaaahearts.

Title. 
As with any title, usually it’s explained in the foreword, or it comes to light within the story. This story comes under the latter. Until a few chapters in when she finds Jongup’s phone and starts to give advice, then the title starts to make sense. I do like it though, because her role as an advice giver, or councillor type role is integral to the story. I didn’t mind that it took a while for it to tie into the story though.

Foreword and Description.
Both are short, and I think you could have done a lot better with them. In the foreword, you mention that it’s Daehyun that thinks the phone swap is fate, but I think it should be Youngjae that is included in it, seeing as he was involved more in the story and he actually knew of the phone swap.

The description is you basically giving an introduction to you and the things you have done, which I’m fine with, but this can always be added at the bottom as an afterword. A lot of authors do this, which is always nice as it’s a more friendlier interaction with a reader, but the foreword should include some of your story- an excerpt perhaps- or at least introduce your characters more, giving the reader more insight into the actual story they’re about to read.
If you put a more detailed one in, then the story title would make sense from the get go, rather that having to read for a while to understand.

Writing style and language.
From the first sentence I noticed a grammar mistake, you had put “were” instead of “was-“- “You weren’t the type of girl who were interested in boys” should be “Who was interested in boys.”
Throughout the story I did find a few silly mistakes like that, such as “sniffled” instead of “sniffle” but these are easily rectified. You also used “Gods” instead of just “God.”

Throughout the story, I did find it a little mechanical, as in to say I couldn’t get into it as thoroughly and deeply I would have liked because of how stiff the story seemed to be written. I think if you had included more back stories, more about each characters personality, it would have added another depth and made it a more enjoyable read.

Plot.
As I got through the story, I did start to enjoy it more, but overall, I wasn’t too interested. Mostly I couldn’t get into it because I couldn’t relate. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter