[Improvised]The Melancholy Sound of the Guitar

Scarlett Reviews' Archives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title

Personally, I found the title a bit long however it's quite fresh and original! First off, the capitalisation is right - an aspect that's usually neglected. Also, it makes me what the story would be about and I love the juxtaposition behind it.Why? For starters, guitars are usually associated with happy events however the term 'melancholy' twists it as it's used when describing a sad time. Moreover the term 'the' kind of hints that perhaps the story would revolve a certain guitar, thus it made me curious on what makes that guitar special. I couldn't really place my finger on what kind of plot just by looking at the title however I did guess that perhaps there might be angst by looking at the word 'melancholy'. Questions did pop into mind after looking at your title such as:

"How can a tune sound so melancholy?"

"Why is it melancholy?"

"What's so special about this guitar?"

"Why is the guitar so special?"

Moreover, it makes me wonder on why the guitar is special, to presumably the owner, and what she/he has gone through to think that the sound of their guitar sound so sad. So indeed, your title did pull me in.

I think perhaps the main disadvantage of your title is that it's simply too long. However, I couldn't think of another way to re-word your title. I thought of 'The Guitar's Melancholy Sound' however it didn't give off a special vibe in comparison to yours.

 

 

Appearance [Foreword; Description; Poster (if any); Readability}

Let's start off with the poster. This is my opinion but I didn't quite like it. There wasn't particularly artistic nor special about it. Well, if there was one thing that was good about it, it was that I learnt who the main characters were and the importance of the guitar was highlighted as well. Moreover, two fonts were used which is alright however it didn't really compliment with each other as one gave a soft vibe whereas the other was a bit more bold and chunky. I managed to get the main colours however the rest just didn't seem to fit or blend well. Now, I think you don't have to dwell in this aspect if you don't want to but this is just my opinion. 

For the background, I see its relevance to the story. It's simple and it didn't distract me at all as well and it fit well with the mood of the story.

For the readability, you don't even have to mind this part! The font was easy to read although I was wondering why you chose grey instead of black, however you stuck with it so I wasn't bothered by it all. Also you weren't all over the place! The paragraph spacing was balanced as well so overall I had no problem with it

Onto the description, it didn't draw me in to be honest. There wasn't anything particularly special about it, and in my opinion it seemed really simple. It was straightforward and gave us the information we needed. Now I was quite torn as I felt you perhaps gave too much information, yet it was vague at the same time. The last sentence gave out presumably where the plot starts whereas the first gave a background of Jiyeon's past. Now, I feel you didn't have to mention that as the readers could find that out for themselves when reading the story. Moreover, by removing that first sentence, the last sentence alone sparks questions as to why Jiyeon sang on the street corners and why does she depend on it to survive. I feel that the description needs to be improved as it for starters, if you just eradicate the first sentence, the sentence left doesn't have enough seem to be enough to drag you into reading the story. 

At first, I thought you were going  to do a character profile just by looking at Jiyeon's picture. My thought was 'Why did you need to include a picture of Jiyeon? Doesn't the poster show what she's meant to look like?' ; so at first, I had a bad impression of your foreword already. Although I don't really see the importance of it, the paragraph that you written was quite beautiful. I wouldn't have realised how much it actually shows about the story after reading your story so in a way so I suggest you don't change it. Why? Because your foreword alone shows a lot about the plot. It explains a bit of Jiyeon's character and her loneliness and dependence over her guitar. Moreover, it makes me  interested on who Jiyeon's referring to as 'you', though by looking at the poster I was guessing Myungsoo. However, it makes me wonder on what he may have done to Jiyeon to make her feel so heartbroken. That perhaps makes me interested in reading you story.

So overall, your description and poster needs a little more work whereas your foreword and readability was alright! 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter