The One That Got Away| chaniel

Scarlett Reviews' Archives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

First, I will like to apologise if this isn't an ideal review with the format that you wanted; since we changed back to our original format of reviewing. This will be a review without rubrics or marks; just pragraphs of facts that I will point out. Be it compliments or constructive criticism. So, be prepared! If you do have thoughts that about an incomplete review without much points covered. Please be reassured that I will cover any necessary points stated in normal rubrics. Thank you for your attention! Let's look at the review.

Actually, I do find the title long so it did not impress me much initially. I do prefer shorter titles and honestly, your title didn't have the effect that could attract me. So, sorry but I had to confess that if I had seen this title in the 'Latest Updated Fics', I will not click on the story to read on it so it wasn't my cup of tea; mainly because it sounded boring? Sorry if I sound harsh but this is my personal opinion as a reader and I will like you to know. Treat it as constructive criticism?

Okay, for me, a good title is a title that has adjectives or special and cool words that will catch the writer's attention. Actually your title did have connection with the story, it is a great thing however the title just sounded plain and dull. Try adding some adjectives to it, it might be better but I did appreciate the fact that it had a connection with the story as many writers fulfill this requirement. So, good job regardless of the dull words.

Let's have a look at some mistakes or stuff that I want to point out in your story.

Original: ""Oh, hi," he greeted politely once he stepped inside it, bowing to the old lady that lived one floor above him."

I won't suggest using 'one floor above him' as using one in that same phrase makes the sentence sound awkward as well as disrupting the story flow. It did sound weird when I was reading it; it will be best if you can change one to 'a floor above him'. This may sound better in sentence phrasing.

Edited Version:""Oh, good morning!" He bowed and greeted the old lady that lived a floor above him politely; after stepping inside the lift."

Doesn't the sentence sound better in the sense of story flow and sentence structure. I will recommend using 'good morning' instead of 'hi' as you did mention that Chanhee was greeting an elder thus it should sound formal in a sense. 'Hi' is used around people that are around the same age as him as well as giving an informal tone. So, good morning will be better. As for the changes I made, I did hesistate when you wrote this part: "greeted politely once he stepped inside it..." I did find the introduction of the old lady a little too late; initially, I did have thoughts that Chanhee was a little crazy since you did not mention that grandmother inside. I thought that he was greeting the lift. So, try to mention the characters at the first part to avoid misunderstanding.

I do have to say that I am hesitating whether I should say that your writing style is good or not; okay, simply saying, it does have both pros and cons. I really appreciate writers that spend time writing their stories in a detailed manner, not missing a detail. Let's take your writing for example: You did explain in detail so that we will know more about the character. Take the old grandmother for example, you did mention about her living a level above Chanhee. It was great and I got to understand more about this old lady; so it wasn't vague. This is the pros of your writing style. However, I have to introduce to cons in your writing style now.

Something bad about your writing style is it is too detailed. You must be thinking that I am crazy because I did mention above that I love detailed writing but yours' aren't the type of detailed that I was talking about. Detailed writing comes from a writer when he/she explains the main scene in detail; however you seemed to be over-doing this. You were explaining every in clear detail in every scene and it did irked me when I w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter