Number 9

Scarlett Reviews' Archives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Title After reading your story, I thought 'How does the title even matched the story?'. Now, I vaguely remembered a song called 'Number 9' by T-ARA, and after that thought came up, I went to looking up the lyrics of it and fair enough, the song lyrics did match the story. Now looking at the tags, I understood why you wrote 'songfic'! To start off, by looking at your title I would't say I'd be pulled in just by glance. Yes, I might've been interested in it, but I don't think I'd click on your story. Why? It doesn't have that something that would drag me into reading it. I would've thought it was just another story that had a number as title. It doesn't really have anything special about, and if I didn't know that T-ARA made a song with the same title, I wouldn't have been interested into reading it.   I was actually curious as to what the number 9 meant so I did do a tiny bit of research on it as well. Nevertheless, the results I got were interesting and somewhat had relevance to your story! Spiritually, 9 can be used a sign of achievement, and fair enough both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol did achieve their goal at the end. Other aspects of the number also include truth and personal integrity - this is something that definitely has relation to Kyungsoo which also might change one's thoughts on the said character. Just by looking at these ideas, I can see why perhaps you and T-ARA chose the number 9.   So yes, there were a few flaws within your title. However, I can see the deeper meaning behind it, and if I were to know the meanings beforehand, I would've been interested upon reading your story.       Appearance [Foreword; Description; Poster (if any); Readability} Let's start off with your poster first! If I were to see it before the title, I would have lured in strightaway! It gives off a very macabre and eerie mood to your story which matches well with the theme of your story! I really like the blurry use on the character's faces and it makes me wonder 'Why? Does this mean that the character's personality confused and distorted as well?' - also it somehow shows that Kyungsoo and Jongin are somewhat embedded in Chanyeol's life which may perhaps hint their role in the story. The colours used give off more of a horror atmosphere rather then an angst one however over pondering this I wasn't quite too sure on what other colour would give off the same tone as you'd want    Onto the description - I was bit torn in this part. I felt that you somehow revealed information which the readers could've figured out by themselves in the story rather then being told to them directly. Since it is a horror/mystery fiction, you don't want to give a lot of information - which you did. However, I felt that you should've changed the information that was given to the readers. One, for example, is this:   Example: Chanyeol's a new detective  Correction: Chanyeol's a troubled detective   You didn't have to mentioned that Chanyeol was a new detective; readers would assume that he'll probably have troubles with the mystery to begin with. Instead, I changed the word to 'troubled' because then the audience would think 'Why is he troubled? Does he have health problems? Is he traumatised?' etc.    Example: ...involving Kim Jongin and his sadistic classmate Do Kyungsoo. Correction: ...involving Kim Jongin and his classmate Do Kyungsoo.   Here, I removed the term 'sadistic' because it would give an impression of what Kyungsoo was like, and perhaps one can assume there might've been history between the two said characters. Also by eradicating the word, it woulld make the audience question on Kyungsoo's character in the story, and his motives in the story.
I believe these are just the two flaws that I picked up in your description, but other than that, the rest is alright! Your description does make me question about the story, and I probably would've been interested in reading it.   For the foreword - very intriguing and luring. Why? You bring out a totally different side of Kyungsoo that I believe most of the users reader about - so it really did make me question on his role in the story. It also sparks interest in whom Kyungsoo was referring to when he said 'Kitty', and I would've definitely continued on reading your story because of that dialogue alone. It certainly gives a flavour what I'd be expected to read in your story as well, and it certainly shows the themes associated with your story.
For the rest of the foreword, I don't have that much problems with it! You mentioned relevant things as well as the credits which I believe don't really interfere with your actual foreword.    For the readability, it was alright! The font was alright and I didn't have to squint or anything. The font colour was consistent and the paragraph spacing was orderly and neat as well   On the whole, in this section, it was alright! Yes there might be a few sections where you'd have to go back and check, but other then that, you don't have to worry much!       Plot & Originality Can I say your plot is orginal? I'm not too sure on that. Yes, I've come across fics where a character's killed by their sadistic boyfriend/girlfriend, and in all honesty, I d
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter