Sky Lights

LOVE RIOT

                Four days before the graduation and there were many preparations to make. Meanwhile the student’s of S.R.A is so exited because tonight is the most beautiful night for them. There will be a band concert tonight where the music club will lead and there will be a competition for the battle of the bands. It was pretty much a typical send off party for the students.

 

                Minako is playing on her iphone under the big cherry blossom tree, oblivious on the commotion that’s happening around her.  She was playing there for like several hours and it is almost time for the party to start.

 

                Minako is looking at her iphone intently when it was snatch by a man standing behind her. She looked around to find Hatsuharu holding her iphone.

 

                “Hey, give it back.” she said reaching for it.

 

                Hatsuharu shook his head and handed the cellphone to Haruka who smiled at Minako.

 

                “What is this, couple bully?” she asked incredulously and Haruka laughed.

                “We’ve been looking for you, Minako.” said Haruka giving her a hug.

                “Why?” she asked a little surprised.

                “We were having fun back at the classroom.” Haruka replied. “You’re the only one missing.”

                “C’mon Minako.” said Hatsuharu motioning for her to come.

               

                She followed them reluctantly and sighed. Inside they were seated in a circular manner and there was a bottle in the middle. She looked at it suspiciously.

 

                “What were you playing.” she asked wary and sat down beside Kazumi.

                “Oh we just finished playing truth or dare.” Kazumi explained when she saw Minako eyeing the bottle evilly.

                Minako breathed a sigh of relief when she heard that they were finished playing. She still couldn’t forget how that game managed to give her a solo time with Ryuuzaki back at the beach. She thought about it every time because it is the only time they finally agreed on something.

 

                “So what are you playing then?” she asked smiling.

                “How about we play hide and seek?” suggested Sayako and the others murmured assent.

                “That will be a long game don’t you think? There’s going to be a program later.” Minako reminded them.

                “Oh c’mon don’t be a kill joy Minako.” Saori said. “This will be our bonding time.”

 

                Everyone looked at her expectantly and she couldn’t to put her hands in surrender. “Okay.”

 

                “Yay!” said Sayako.

                “Hide yourselves, Kentaro and I will go look for you.” volunteered Shinji.

                “Okay.” they agreed and the girls came running on different directions.

 

                Minako was still standing in the hallway with Ryuuzaki. She can hear Shinji and Kentaro counting inside the room and she looked at Ryuuzaki.

 

                “Well, I think we better hide.” she said turning on the other direction but Ryuuzaki stopped her.

                “This way.” he said pointing to the other direction.

                “Why?” she asked stupidly and they heard Shinji shout ‘We’re coming!’.

                “Run.” said Ryuuzaki.

 

                Minako didn’t protest when Ryuuzaki steered her on the other direction, they kept running until they were certain that someone wasn’t following them.

 

                “Where should we hide?” asked Minako.

                “To the library.” said Ryuuzaki pointing at the double doors.

                “Uhm isn’t that the most common place they will think you will go?” Minako pointed out.

                “No, they know I will never do anything in the library but read. I don’t think they’ll look here.” he explained.

 

                Minako thought about this for a moment and nodded. Ryuuzaki opened the door and they went inside.

 

                Minako breathed a sigh of relief and pressed her ear on the door. “I think we lost them.”

                “Yeah.” said Ryuuzaki smiling.

 

                They sat down on the nearest chair and waited for the time pass. Outside the battle of the bands is already starting.

 

                “It must be thirty minutes since we started hiding.” said Minako. She turned to Ryuuzaki and found that he was looking at her intently. Good thing that it was dark on the library so he wouldn’t see her blushing.

                “Maybe.” he replied.

 

                Minako stood up and approached the door to open it but it was locked. She tried again but the door won’t budge.

 

                “Uhm Ryuuzaki, I think we’ve been locked inside.” she said her voice cracking in panic.

                “What?” Ryuuzaki asked and walked towards her. He tried the door but it wouldn’t open.

                “What will we do now?” asked Minako pounding the door. “Help! We’re stuck here.”

                “Calm down.” Ryuuzaki said.

                “Calm down? How can I do that we’re stuck here.” she said in panic.

                “They will look for us.” he assured her.

                “You’re the one who told me that they wouldn’t look here for you.” Minako glared at him.

                “There’s no need for you to panic.” said Ryuuzaki softly. “The guards check every floor and rooms here before they close the school. They will find us.”

               

                Ryuuzaki took her by the arm and let her sit on a chair. Minako nodded and thought that she will be just wasting her energy shouting. They library were on the third floor and if you will look out the window no one will here you because everyone was in the auditorium watching the program.

 

                “They better find us.” she said.

                “Relax.” Ryuuzaki said coolly. “What are you afraid of?”

                “I’m not afraid.” she said defensively.

                “I think you’re afraid to be alone with me.” he declared. “I thought we already have truce?”

                “I’m not afraid of you okay?” she repeated.

                “Okay.” Ryuuzaki said grinning like he was really amused by her.

 

                They sat there in silence and Minako is touching her necklace the whole time. It was a seashell the color of the sea. The one Ryuuzaki have given her on the beach on the night they decided to have a truce.

 

                “Minako.” Ryuuzaki called.

                “Yeah?”

                “What do I have to do for you to like me?” Ryuuzaki asked.

 

                Minako just stared at him at the dark and she wanted to hit him in the head for throwing a question like that to her. He’s really an impossible guy.

 

                “Excuse me?” she said disbelievingly.

                “I said what do I have to do for you to like me?” he repeated patiently.

                “Uhm, be sane?” Minako replied, she really wanted to strangle him for his questions.

                “I am sane.” he laughed. “So, do you like me now?”

                “No you’re not!” Minako said. “You wouldn’t be asking questions like this if you are.”

                “What wrong with my questions?” Ryuuzaki asked like he really didn’t know.

                “What kind of guy will ask a girl that bluntly?” she demanded.

                “An honest guy?” he guessed.

                He have a point, she thought. “You’re crazy.”

                “I’m not really good at expressing my feelings and I might just end up annoying you so I’ll say this straight.” he began. “I love you. I didn’t know when exactly but I know I do. This isn’t a coincidence that we’re locked here, it’s planned. I asked my friends and your friends to help me. There I said it.”

 

                All those time that Ryuuzaki was explaining it to her, Minako was just holding the shell drawing strength to it.

 

                “You could say something or hit me.” offered Ryuuzaki a little nervously.

                “Okay.” Minako said still in a daze from what she heard.

                “That’s it?” Ryuuzaki asked.

                “What do I say? I’m not good at this.” Minako protested. “All I know is that I… I feel the same for you.”

 

                Minako heard Ryuuzaki’s hand touched hers and through the light coming from the window she saw that he’s giving her one of those rare smiles again. She smiled at him and squeezed his hands.

 

                “Look.” said Ryuuzaki pointing at the window and as if on cue colorful fireworks lit up the sky.

                Minako stood up and walked towards the window and whispered. “It’s beautiful.”

 

                Ryuuzaki stood next to her and gave her a one-arm hug and rested his chin on top of her head, together they watch the sky lights.