Under the Moonlight

LOVE RIOT

            The cold night air is whipping at Shinji’s face, rumpling his hair, as he stands near the beach. The moon hung in the sky bathing the place with a silvery light. He went for a walk as his friends wander the beach separately going about their usual routine.

 

                Shinji was deep in thought looking at nowhere, hearing the sound of the waves calming his feeling. He stayed there for about an hour until the cold night air started biting in his skin. He decided to go back to their cottage, just beside the girl’s place.

 

                He was about to pass the girl’s cottage when he heard Sayko and Saori’s voice, talking. There was something about the tone of their voices that made him stop in his tracks and listen.

 

                “I never know volleyball can be that fun.” he heard Saori said. “I was a little lousy at it.”

                “Yeah, it’s fun. The boys played like a pro.” Sayako agreed.

                “You mean Hatsuharu.” said Saori knowingly.

                “What about him?” asked Sayako a little sheepishly.

                “I thought you liked him?” said Saori.

                “Am I that obvious?” asked Sayako that made Saori laugh. “I guess I am.”

 

                Shinji didn’t know what to think, he was about to get pass them as casually as he could when Sayako speak again.

 

                “I had a crush on him. A brief one.” she smiled.

                “Had? You mean now it’s gone?” asked Saori.

                “Yeah. Poof!” she laughed.

                “Who do you like now then?”

                “Secret.” Sayako laughed. “Hey, it’s unfair. You keep asking me questions. My turn.”

 

                Shinji didn’t get the chance to hear what more they talked about because he turned to the other direction where he came from and walked absent-mindedly. Assessing his feelings right now he was quite surprised not to feel disappointed of what he learned about Sayako. He liked her when he first met her, his brain does tell him that, but he thought maybe his heart was telling him another different story.

 

                He stopped short because a few feet away, he saw Kazumi. She was sitting cross-legged on a picnic blanket with a box of pizza on her side. She’s gazing at the sky trying to count the stars.  Why do I have to see the two girls driving me crazy?, he thought. She his direction like as if he called her attention. It took him sometime to process that she was waving at him, motioning for him to come.

 

                Get a grip, he chastised himself.

 

                “Hey.” he greeted sitting on the blanket.

                “Nice night.” she commented like they were doing this all the time.

                “Yeah.” he agreed. “Why are you here? It’s cold outside.”

               

                She smiled and shrugged. “I like the view here. Helps me think.”

               

                He looked at her. She was wearing a black shorts and a pink racer back top with marshmallows all over it. Her silver hair hung loose on her back making the moon’s light pale in comparison.

 

                “You want some?” she asked offering her the box of pizza.

                He looked inside and found two slices of pepperoni pizza, his favorite. He took one and took a huge bite, making her smile. “It’s my favorite.” she explained.

                “Same here.”

 

                They ate in silence the roar of the waves playing in the background.

 

                “I don’t see moon as beautiful as this in America. I think their busy nature keep the beautiful moon away.” she said absentmindedly.

                “How long did you stay there?” he asked.

                “Two months.” she answered. “I got homesick.”

               

                He couldn’t help but smile. “You like it better here?”

                “Uh-huh.”

 

                She lies down on the blanket as the silence enveloped them again. Shinji stared at the sky wondering what will happen if she stayed in America. I would’ve never got the chance to meet a silver haired girl who looked like she was born from the moon.  He was about to make a joke of it but when he turned to her; he saw that her eyes were closed.

 

                Kazumi’s breathing is steady and he can easily tell that she have fallen asleep. He watched her for a long time doing nothing. She soon felt the cold air and muttered in her sleep. Shinji stood up and knelt beside her. She didn’t even stir as he tried to lift her in his arms.

 

                Kazumi’s not even heavy, just the average weight of a girl. Shinji carried her in his arms carefully, mentally reminding himself to call the attendant to clean the mess they left.

 

                Outside the he saw the girls playing truth or dare while his friends watch their crazy game. Ohjiro nudge Yuichi when he saw Shinji carrying Kazumi in his arms.

 

                “Hi, Shin.” greeted Yuichi. “Where have you been?”

 

                The girls looked up and stopped their game.

 

                “What happened?” asked Erie worriedly looking at Kazumi.

                “She fell asleep near the shore.” explained Shinji. “Where’s her bed?”

                “On the third bed near the closet.” answered Minako.

 

                Shinji didn’t stop to answer the questioning look of his friends and went inside to put Kazumi in but. She stirs and smiled in her sleep and he went back outside to join his friends.