Make Her Smile

LOVE RIOT

                Kentaro and Shinji were at the grocery store a few blocks away from their school buying yet another box of supplies for the café booth. The place is place is packed with grocers and the cashier table is full.

 

                Kentaro and Shinji were in the fourth lane with a large cart in front of them.

 

                “I’ve never seen Hatsuharu so happy you know.” said Shinji.

                “Yeah, the guy deserved it.” nodded Kentaro who’s checking his phone.

                “How about you, Ken?” asked Shinji.

                “What about me?” he asks back.

                “When will you find the courage to tell her?” Shinji asked grabbing a pack of crisps and studying it.

                “Who are you talking about?” Kentaro asked innocently.

                “The girl you liked.”

                “Who?”

                Shinji looked at him skeptically. “You really want me to name her or are we playing guess who’s stupid today?”

                Kentaro shrugged and Shinji sighed. “I’m talking about Sayako.”

                “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” said Kentaro moving the cart a little forward.

                “Ken, how long have we known each other?” Shinji asked.

                Kentaro counted on his fingers and said. “Ten years.”

                “Ten years and I know you very well.” said Shinji. “And the others do too.”

                “And your point?” he asked.

                “You can’t deny to us that you love her.” said Shinji patiently. “You wouldn’t be mad at what Jiro said in the first place if you don’t feel that way towards her.”

                Kentaro shrugged and said. “It doesn’t matter.”

                “Why not?” asked Shinji.

 

                Kentaro give him an exasperated look. “Because Shin, I know you like her.”

                Shinji stared at him and laughed. “That’s it? I’m the one that’s keeping you from telling her?”

                “Whatever.” said Kentaro pushing the cart on the cashier’s table and started unloading the products.

                “I admit I liked her but that’s like ages ago.” Shinji said helping him. “You should talk to her, man.”

                “I told you it doesn’t matter. I don’t go after my friends’ back.” he said.

                “Are you listening to me? I said I liked her before but not anymore and I know she liked you too.” explained Shinji impatiently.

               

Kentaro looked at him stupidly not paying his attention to the cashier lady who was asking for the payment.

               

                “Go now.” Shinji said. “She might still be at school.”

 

                Kentaro looked at Shinji one more time and saw that he’s serious and ran for the exit. Kentaro drive so fast that he arrived on the school in what seems like a flash. When he arrived at the school he found Erie and Kazumi huddled in a corner consoling Sayako.

 

                He approached them and found her crying. “What happened?”

                “She had a huge fight with her mom.” Erie answered.

               

               Sayako sniffled and Kazumi pat her on the back.

 

                “Do you mind leaving us for a while, girls?” he asked them.

                Erie looked at him meaningfully and said, “Sure.”

 

                They left and he was alone with a crying girl. It was an awkward moment for Kentaro he didn’t know what to say to her because he wasn’t used to see her crying. He sat down beside her and put his arm around her shoulders.

 

                “It’s okay.” he said softly. “What ever is that you were crying about I’m sure it’s going to be alright.”

               

                Sayako just sniffled and he offered her his handkerchief. She took and wiped her eyes.

 

                “C’mon, Sayako smile I’m not used to see you crying.” he joked but she didn’t even cracked a smiled.

 

                 Kentaro is trying to get desperate so he asked her the last thing he knows about her. “Would you like to ride the red car again? I promise the tire is good now.”

 

                Sayako looked at him like he was crazy and Kentaro nudge her arm. “C’mon I know you like that car. I promised you last time right?”

 

               She was silent for a moment and Kentaro was sure she’s going to say now. He hasn’t seen her down before. For what seemed like ages she finally nodded and let Kentaro took her towards his red convertible.

 

                The top was down and Sayako’s hair was whipping through the air like the night Kentaro give her a ride home. Sayako was feeling a little better by the time they arrived in front of a huge building. Kentaro has been silent the whole time giving her some time to think that she didn’t get the chance to ask him where they were going.

 

                  “Where are we?” she asked Kenataro.

                  “Surprise.” he answered glancing towards her.

 

                  In front of them was a huge building but not just any other building. It’s a car dealer shop. Kentaro opened the door for her and asked her to go out. Inside the building Kentaro talked to a guy who must be five years older than him and handed him the car keys.

 

                 “Let’s go.” said Kentaro holding her hands towards the elevator.

                 “Where are we going?” she asked him.

 

                 He didn’t answer her until they arrived on the third floor of the building where cars where parked. There must  be like around twenty five convertible cars there on every possible color you can think of. Sayako’s jaw dropped in awe and she ran to the nearest one.

 

                 “Wow, this is so cool.” Sayako said smiling up at Kentaro.

                “Liked it?” he asked. “This is where I bought my red one.”

 

                 A man approached them and greeted Kentaro. “Hi, Ken. Are you going to buy a new car?”

                 “No, I’m just showing her where I bought my car.” smiled Kentaro.

                “Oh, right.” said the man. “The drive is ready.”

                “Okay, we’ll be right there.”

 

                After Sayako have looked at every single car; Kentaro asked her to come with him. They were on the other part of the shop and Kentaro’s car was waiting for them. She looked around and noticed that they were on huge field like the one where airplanes take off. It was a long drive way with street lights glowing in the night.

 

               “Ready for a ride?” asked Kentaro and Sayako gave her a questioning look. He opened the door for her but it was the other side, the one where the driver sits.

 

               Sayako started to protest but Kentaro made her go inside. Once she was settled on the driver’s seat Kentaro walked to the other side to seat on the passenger’s seat.

 

               “I don’t know how to drive.” she said nervously gripping the stirring wheel tightly.

               “It’s okay, I’m here to guide you.” said Kentaro.

 

               He instructed her with all the parts and functions while Sayako listened well. “Okay, that’s it. And remember focus.”

 

              Sayako pressed on the accelerator lightly her other foot hovering on the brake just in case she needed to stop the car immediately. They were advancing like a turtle and Kentaro kept encouraging her to go a little faster. She was getting the hang of it but Sayako decided not to push it.

 

              Kentaro took over when they reached the twentieth lamp post and she breathed a sigh of relief.

 

             “That was fun.” she said even though her heart is racing.

             “I told you it’ll be okay.” Kentaro said parking the car in the middle of the drive way.

            Sayako smiled at him and nodded.

 

             “Keep that smile okay?” he said seriously. “I don’t want to see you crying like that back there.”

             Sayako frowned at the change in his voice and she asked, “Why?”

             “It’s like everything is lonely when you’re not smiling.” he said. “That’s how I felt.”

            Sayako’s heart beat faster because she hasn’t seen him this serious before. She nodded at him unable to speak.

 

             “I know I’ve been a crazy guy since the day you met me and I’ve annoyed you plenty of times.” he started to say. “I wouldn’t even probably the best guy you would find but I promise to make you smile every single day.”

 

            Sayako stared at him unable to grasp what he was talking about. She was sure he was telling him something that might make her be the happiest girl tonight but she didn’t want to get her hopes up.

 

             “What I’m trying to say is that, I’ve fallen for you and I wanted to know if you feel the same way too.” Kentaro finished looking at her.

 

              Her heart stopped beating for a moment before a triumphant smile spread across her face. Sayako hugged Kentaro and kissed him on lips, so that pretty much sums up what she feels. He returned her kiss happily and they were like that for what seemed like forever.