Different Side

LOVE RIOT

              Haruka sat on a fallen tree a little far away from their cottage; every now and then she would hear here friend’s voices playing truth or dare. She’s peacefully watching the water, a thousand memories playing on her mind. The wind grew a little colder and she drapes the blanket around her a little tighter.

 

                She was looking at the water when a figure emerges from the line of her vision. It was a man, well built and he was only wearing a short a towel slung on his shoulder. She watched as he threw the towel on the sand and plunged on the cold water. Haruka squinted in the darkness but she couldn’t make out who the man was, but whoever he was he’s definitely a good swimmer.

 

                In what looked like thirty minutes the guy went out of the water and picked up his towel. He looked at her direction for a long time and it made her nervous. He walked towards her and as he get nearer she saw that it was Hatsuharu. She froze when she saw him and thought ­uh-oh. I don’t think I’m that prepared to see you hlf-.

 

                “Hi. Mind if I sit down?” Hatsuharu asked.

                “Go ahead.” she answered and he took the seat beside her. He dried himself and shook his head causing water to land on the side of her face.

                “Sorry.” he said sheepishly.

                “Aren’t you cold?” she asked curiously. “The water must be freezing.”

                “Nah, the water is fine. Great for taking out stress.” he replied.

                “You’re stressed?” she laughed. “From what?”

                “From you.” he joked and Haruka rolled her eyes.

                “Whatever.”

                “Mind if I keep your company for awhile? They’re playing crazy stuff back there.” he said nodding towards the direction of their cottage.

 

                Haruka shrugged there was an odd comfort on having someone with her on a cold night.

 

                “Thanks.”

 

                They sat there in silence for about twenty minutes and Haruka can sense that Hatsuharu was deep in thought too.

 

                “Guess what?” he said after awhile. “I’ll get us some coffee.”

               

                She nodded and he disappeared. When he came back he was holding two steaming cups of hotcoffee. He handed her one and she took a sip feeling the coffee burned in , not too sweet just like he wanted.

 

                “Thanks.” she sipped a little more a shiver running down her body.

                “How come you’re not with your friends?” he asked staring at her.

                “Peace and quiet is good sometimes.” she smiled. “How about you?”

                “I’ve had enough of their craziness for today, so I decided to take a swim.” he waved.

 

                She nodded thoughtfully. “Id there something you’re not good at?”

                “Huh?”

                “I saw how you swim back there.” she explained motioning at the sea. “You’re like a merman or something.”

                “A what?” he asked incredulously and she laughed.

                “You know like sea mermaid, but you’re a boy so sea merman.” she explained.

                “You read a lot of fairytales, don’t you?” he teased.

               

                She smiled, “My point is your good at swimming.”

                He frowned. “Is there something wrong with that?”

                “Nope I was just wondering why you’re good at everything you do.” she mused.

                “Is that a compliment or what?” he smiled. “I’m not good at everything. I’m not perfect and I don’t want to be.”

               

                Wow. That’s a couple of honest question huh? “I know but you can’t deny that you’re good.”

                He thought for a moment and said. “I’m not good at billiards. I’d rather play jack stones.”

                Haruka burst out laughing and he asked. “What?”

                “Seriously, Haru. You play jackstone?” she asked disbelievingly.

                “Why? Didn’t you play that when you were younger?” he smirked.

                “Of course I did.” she replied. “I mean you’re a boy.”

                “Hey, that’s discrimination.” he scolded her. “Me and my friends played jackstone with our sisters when we were younger.”

               

                She held up her hand in surrender. “Okay fine. I was just asking.”

 

                They were silent for a second and she said. “I played Tamiya when I was a kid.”

                “You mean the toy racing car?” he asked.

                “Yeah.”

                “That was one fun. Played too when I was a kid.” he nodded.

                “My dad used to scold me. ‘It’s a boy’s toy’ he’d say.” she smiled remembering.

               

                He laughed. “Let me guess you don’t know how to drive.”

                She raised an eyebrow at him. “How did you know?”

                “I guessed.” Hatsuharu said proudly.

                “Yeah, I don’t know how that’s why my brother drive me to and from school.” she explained. “Dad said I’m too faint hearted to drive.”

                “You didn’t even try learning?” he asked curiously.

                “Nope.”

 

                Hatusharu thought about that and for a moment he wanted to ask her if she wanted to learn how but then he remembered that it was in the middle of the night.

 

                “Want to swim?” he offered.

                “Nope. Too cold.” she said shaking her head.

                “It’s not. Don’t worry I’ll guide you.” he said reassuringly.

 

                There was excitement in his eyes and reassurance in his voice that she couldn’t help but believe him.  Haruka took his hand and together they swim in the middle of a beautiful night.