Tension

LOVE RIOT

                  A week before their graduation is the celebration of the annual S.R.A school festival. This includes the participation of all high school levels and all the clubs of the school. There were booths and different kind of programs: play, music night etc.

 

 

5:00pm School Gymnasium

 

 

            The day before the basketball tournament Shinji and his friends were practicing their basketball skills. As usual Ryuuzaki is a reserve player and he’s the one playing coach.

 

 

                “Take a break!” shouted Ryuuzaki from the bleachers.

                “I thought you’d never say that.” complained Yuichi.

                “Are you trying to kill us?” asked Ohjiro incredulously.

                Ryuuzaki smirked at him. “I just want to run some tactics.”

                “That’s the problem when we have a frustrated coach as a friend.” said Kentaro while Hatsuharu played alone on the half court.

                “Whatever.”

 

 

                They were resting on the bleachers when Yuichi asked Kentaro. “Hey, Ken how did Sayako managed to drag you to ride that cable car?”

                “She’s bored and I toured her around the place. And then she dragged me to that wicked thing.” replied Kentaro wiping his sweat.

                “I thought you liked Erie, how come you’re with Sayako?” Ohjiro frowned.

                “I think I can go out with whomever I want. They’re both my friends.” shrugged Kenataro. “Besides you’re spending time with Erie; when months ago you liked Saori.”

                “Hey, leave Saori out of this.” Yuichi warned.

               

                Hatsuharu went toward his friends and found that they were having a heated discussion. “What’s wrong with you guys?”

                “They’re being an idiot.” said Yuichi.

                “Shut up, Yui.” said Ohjiro. “You’re the playboy right? You must know what Ken’s doing.”

               

                Yuichi gave him a murderous glare and stood up.  He was about to punch Ohjiro when Hatsuharu grabbed Yuichi by the arms.

 

 

                “Cut it out!” said Shinji while Ryuuzaki held Kentaro away from Ohjiro.

                “I’ll shut your mouth if I were you, Jiro.” snarled Kentaro.

                “Stop it, Jiro. You’ve said enough.” said Ryuuzaki. “We still have a game tomorrow.”

                “I don’t care.” said Ohjiro.

                “I’m out of here.” said Kenataro shrugging from Ryuuzaki’s hands.

                “Ken!” Hatsuharu called after him while Yuichi followed.

 

 

                Ohjiro went on the other side of the gym and exited on the double doors leaving Hatsuharu, Shinji and Ryuuzaki behind.

                “How mess up is that?” said Ryuuzaki absentmindedly.

                “Don’t worry they just need to cool down.” said Hatsuharu without enough conviction while Shinji looked doubtful.

                “Look, I’ll talk to Yui okay?” he said getting his things. “Try talking to the others when they’ve calmed down.”

               

                The other two nodded and they go their separate ways.

 

 

 

 

8:31am, School Gymnasium

 

 

                The basketball tournament was already starting and all of S.R.A’s students were there to watch. The 1st year senior high school basketball team and the 2nd year students were playing against each other. Sayako and her friends were sitting at the bleachers near the gym entrance together with the other 3rd year senior high students when Shinji, Hatsuharu and Ryuuzaki arrived.

 

 

                “Mr. Hinata, where are your other friends?” she asked Shinji.

                “I think they’re on their way, ma’am.” replied Shinji who looked uneasy.

                “Well they better get here, you’re next against whoever win this game.” said their adviser motioning at the current game.

 

 

                The first game just ended when Kentaro arrived and a few minutes later Ohjiro arrived too. Ryuuzaki and the other readied themselves for the game.

 

 

                “Fight!” shouted Sayako from the bleachers as they prepared for the game.

                “We have to support them.” said Haruka to the others and they nodded.

                “Where’s Yuichi?” asked Saori.

                “Maybe he’s late.” said Minako. “Don’t worry.”

                “But the game is about to start.” Saori said.

 

 

                They game started without Yuichi. On the first few minutes of the game the boys were doing fine but it’s obvious that Kentaro and Ohjiro are not helping each other. Shinji together with Ryuuzaki and Hatsuharu were trying their best to salvage their game.

               

                “What’s wrong with them?” mused Miss Isuzu.

 

 

                The first half ended and Yuichi arrived unsmiling. He passed the girls in the bleachers without acknowledging them

                “Yui!” called Shinji and Yuichi just nodded at him.

                “Okay let’s get this straight.” said Ryuuzaki briefing his friends on his tactical plan.

 

 

                On the bleachers the girls were worried about what’s happening at the boys. Tension hung over the air and Kazumi couldn’t help but notice that they weren’t talking to each other.

 

 

                “I wonder if something happened.” said Kazumi to the others. “It’s like they’re trying not to kill each other.”

 

 

                Erie frowned at Ohjiro’s direction who wasn’t even listening to what Ryuuzaki’s saying. She put her hands on her hips and marched towards their direction, Sayako right behind her.

 

 

                “Hey, where are you going?” asked Minako. Haruka shrugged and motioned the others to follow them and together they went to approach the boys.

 

 

                “What do you think you’re doing?” Erie demanded looking at Ohjiro.

                “What?” Ohjiro asked unintelligently. The others were distracted for moment as the girls glared at them.

                “You’re playing like crap.” said Sayako addressing Kentaro.

                “I’m doing good.” replied Kentaro. “I don’t know about the others.”

                “Were playing good, thank you.” smirked Yuichi.

                “I thought you’re good at this.” Saori said.

                “Okay. What’s going on here?” Kazumi asked looking at Kentaro, Yuichi and Ohjiro.

                “Nothing.” they all replied and Hatsuharu rolled his eyes.

               

                Meanwhile Ryuuzaki came back with three senior high students who must’ve been from another section.

 

 

                “I found us new players.” announced Ryuuzaki. “I’ll coach.”

                “Good.” Hatsuharu said.

                “What do you mean new players?” asked Yuichi angrily.

                “Sorry, Yui but you guys are ruining our game and we didn’t want to graduate without the trophy.” Shinji said.

                “Unless you got over your misunderstanding you’re not playing.” said Ryuuzaki as the girls exchanged looks.

                “I’m not going to miss this.” demanded Ohjiro.

                “Play better then.” Shinji said as the whistle blew for the start of the second half.

                “You know what; I don’t think you’re that good anymore.” Sayako said shaking her head.

                “That’s not true.” said Kentaro.

                “Yeah. We’re the best.” agreed Yuichi and Kentaro looked at him.

                “I’ll play better.” said Ohjiro looking at Erie who raised her eyebrow.

                “Show us then.” she challenged.

 

 

                The second half started and the game improved. Shinji and his team stormed the court and shoot point after point. They were almost back on their usual playing strategy though the other was still not talking to each other.

 

 

                The game ended with them leaving a ten point difference. Their section celebrated and the girls were so happy, the party was held on their classroom and they were having a blast. The party broke up a little early because there were still other activities scheduled for today when Maria, Shinji’s older sister, arrived.

 

 

                “Hey guys!” she greeted them giving Shinji a hug. “Hello, little bro.”

                “Maria!” Hatsuharu exclaimed.

                “What are you doing here?” Yuichi asked.

                “I watched the game of course.” she answered.

                “We didn’t see you.” said Ohjiro.

                “I didn’t want you to see me.” she said. “I was observing you.”

                “Why?” Kentaro asked.

                “Well someone informed me that some of you were fighting.” she said giving Yuichi, Kentaro and Ohjiro a disapproving look.

               

                The three of them looked at Shinji who was busy pretending talking to Ryuuzaki. Maria shook her head and smacks the three of them on the head.

               

                “You’re being ridiculous!” she scolded.

 

 

                On the other side of the room Kazumi and the others were watching the boys as Maria scolded them.

               

                “Who is she?” asked Sayako.

                “I think she’s Shinji’s sister. Hatsuharu told me once.” answered Haruka.

                “Looks like they were being scolded.” observed Erie.

                “Yeah.”

 

 

                Maria approached them after a while with a warm smile across her face.

 

 

                “Hi girls!” she greeted giving them a kiss on the cheek. “I’m Maria.”

                “Hello.” they greeted back.

 

 

                Maria looked at Kazumi and walked towards her. “Kazumi, I’m Shinji’s sister. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

                “Uh, hi. Nice to meet you too.” Kazumi said wondering why she was telling her this.

                Maria beamed at her and she turned to the others. “You must be wondering why I’m here.”

                “Yes.” said Haruka.

                “Well, I just want to thank you guys.” she said.

                “What for?” Sayako asked.

                “For getting them to see some sense.” she said. “I swear they fight like children sometimes.”

                “We didn’t really do anything.” Erie said.

                “Yes you did sweetheart.”

                “We don’t even know why their even fighting.” Minako said shaking her head.

                “You don’t know?” Maria asked with a mysterious smile.

                “Nope, not even a clue.” said Saori.

                “They were fighting because of you girls.” Maria laughed. “They finally found someone who will knock them off their feet.”

                “What do you mean because of us? We didn’t to anything.” Kazumi said.

 

 

                Maria winked at them and left without another word and as she went back to his brother they saw that Kentaro and the others were already talking, looks like the problem is now solved.