Chang of Heart

LOVE RIOT

9:09pm Kazumi’s house

 

            It was Monday night and Kazumi invited her friends for a pajama party. They were camped in Kazumi’s large room and the floor was littered with different sizes of pillows. They were on floor watching with packs of chips littered around them.

 

                The door opened and Kazumi entered holding a tray with a huge can of chocolate ice-cream.

 

                “Yay, ice-cream.” Sayako clapped.

                “Here you go.” Kazumi said placing the tray in front of them while a movie played on the background.

                “Thank you for inviting us here.” Minako said.

                “Yeah, your room is great.” said Haruka hugging a pillow.

                Kazumi smiled. “I wanted us to bond some more before we graduate.”

                “I hope we can study on the same school.” said Erie eating her ice-cream and the others nodded.

               

               Nobody was paying much attention to the movie because it dawned on them that somehow they wouldn’t be able to be together because of the different paths they were going.

 

              They were silent for a moment as they contemplate on this matter.

 

              “Just promise that will get in touch okay?” said Saori.

              “Of course!” they all answered.

              “Group hug!” Sayako exclaimed and together they give each other an affectionate hug.

 

              The night dragged and it’s time to sleep. The night was clear and Kazumi couldn’t sleep, she went to the balcony of her room to catch some fresh air. The moon hung from the sky and she wondered how many people were looking at it right now.

              Her thoughts were interrupted when Haruka appeared beside her.

              “Hi.” she said.

             “What’s wrong?” Haruka asked.

“Nothing, I just couldn’t sleep.” she answered. “You?”

                "Same.”

                “I’m actually wondering about Maria.” Kazumi said after a while.

                “What about her?” Haruka frowned.

                “I was thinking about what she said at us back at school.”

                “Which one?” asked Haruka trying to think about what Maria said.

                “You know about us being the reason of why the boys fight.” she explained.

                “Oh that. I’m wondering about that too.”

                “And I don’t get why she was so happy to meet me.” she said frowning at nowhere and Haruka laughed softly.

                “What?” Kazumi asked.

                “You shouldn’t have been wondering about that.” Haruka replied.

                “And why is that?” she asked confused.

                “Because there’s no other reason why she would be happy to meet you.” replied Haruka.

                “What do you mean?”

               

                Haruka appraised Kazumi for a few seconds and sighed. “You really don’t know, do you?” and Kazumi shook her head.

                “It’s because Shinji is her brother. Maria likes you because Shinji likes you.” Haruka explained patiently.

                “What?” she asked surprised. “Who told you that?”

                “No one.” Haruka shrugged. “It’s obvious.”

                “No it’s not.” she argued.

                “I’ll bet the others know it too.” she challenged.

                “If it’s so obvious I would’ve know it.” she said. “Besides Shinji is like popular why would he like me?”

                “Aww Kazumi, you don’t see yourself properly.” Haruka sighed.

                “Where were you anyway when we were at the beach? You weren’t at the cottage.” said Kazumi changing the subject.

                “I was out.” Haruka said simply.

                “And?” she prompted.

                “With Haru.” she said in surrender.

                “I knew it!” she exclaimed. “That explains why he’s not there.”

                “Uh-huh.”

                “Now I know.” Kazumi said mysteriously.

                “Know what?” Haruka asked.

                “I know now who likes you.” she answered.

                “Who?” Haruka asked.

                “Oh Haruka you don’t see the obvious sometimes.” Kazumi laughed.