Affinity

Entangled

(Tiffany’s POV)

“I got it… I got it…” I told Taeyeonie. I really wanted to do this on my own, for her… I know she was worried but I had everything under control.

“I’m just trying to… help? You sure you can manage this?” she asked worriedly.

“Yes, yes… Now just go do something else… I promise I won’t burn down the place. If I need you I’ll call you, okay?” I shooed her away.

Once Taeyeonie was out of the kitchen, I pulled out a large piece of paper with careful instructions written on it.

Right… Now all I have to do is not mess it up… Please, God help me…

I took a look around to see what Taeyeonie was up to and found her resting on the couch in the living room. Just then I caught Taeyeon peeking back; probably worried that I was going to burn down our home.

I was now more determined than ever; my reputation depended on it. I couldn’t lose face to Taeyeonie when I’ve talked up my game.

Dammit! If Jess can do this, so can I! I just need a game plan.

Following the instructions, I went down the list prepping each ingredient carefully. But it was still quite a daunting task for a girl who hasn’t really tried to cook a proper meal in her entire life.

“Fany-ah, how’s it going?” Taeyeonie asked from the living room, again trying to take a peak into the kitchen.

“Uhm… okay I guess…” I answered. I honestly could use some help but I was too proud to ask.

I heard the television turn off and unsurprisingly, Taeyeonie was now back in the kitchen.

“Let me help…” she told me.

“No… I want to do this for you…” I refused.

“Stop being stubborn. I know you want to do this for me and I love that you’re trying…” she said and then leaned in and gave me a kiss on the cheek. “I really appreciate the effort but couples support each other, and that’s what I’m here to do… I’m not going to take over but if you have little things for me to do, I’d gladly help you with them…”

“Oooo… I didn’t realize my Taeyeonie was so insightful. Okay, fine. I admit it… I need the help,” I sighed.

“So tell me what you need and I’ll do it…”

“Well first I need another kiss… then would you mind getting the rice on?”

“You cheeky girl… Aish!” she complained but she pulled me in by my apron and pressed her lips against mine anyway. Then she went about washing the rice and getting it going in the rice cooker.

In the mean time, I started preparing the soondubu broth. First simmer dried anchovies in water. The add onion, kelp, dried shiitake and garlic, and bring to a boil.

“I’m done! Next…?” Taeyeonie announced.

“You want to help me cut up the meat? I’ll clean the seafood.”

“Yes, chef!”

Actually, it was a really nice feeling with Taeyeonie helping me… I never really thought of myself as the domestic type but with her beside me, I could get used to it.

After prepping the rest of the ingredients, I began assembling the jjigae itself. Brown meat. Add sliced shiitake. Season with red pepper powder.

“Babe, how spicy do you like your stew?” I asked before I added the seasoning.

“It’s kind of cold out. Let’s make it medium…”

I measured about 2 tablespoons of the red pepper powder and added it to the meat. Then add the broth. Add seafood. Season with fish sauce. Taste. Adjust seasoning. Add tofu and bring to a rolling simmer.

“Wow! That looks good! Can I taste?” Taeyeonie exclaimed when she saw the result of the jjigae.

“It’s not done yet. Why don’t you set the table and I’ll bring out the finished jjigae.”

“Yes, chef!”

The jjigae was finished with green onions, Korean green peppers, and an egg.

“Wow, Fany-ah… I’m really impressed,” Taeyeonie said as placed the pot of jjigae on the dining table. “It looks really good… and smells good…”

“But you haven’t tried it yet…” I looked at her skeptically. I didn’t want her to tell me it was good just to make me happy. I wanted the truth.

“I know you’re used to being a perfectionist but sometimes it’s not the end result but rather the effort that matters,” she told me with a grin.

I pouted in return. It was my first real attempt at cooking after all, not just cooking ramyun or making a sandwich but actually putting effort into making a nice meal.

“Oh alright, you baby. Let’s eat then… Jalmeoggessseubnida!”

“Jalmeoggessseubnida!”

I watched and anxiously waited for her to have a taste of the jjigae before I touched a single grain of rice. She took a spoonful of the jjigae, expressionless, which made it more difficult to guess what her opinion was. Even after she swallowed it, she just stared in my direction without a word.

“So…? How is it?” I finally asked, unable to wait any longer.

A huge smile broke across her face. “You know you’re going to have to cook for me all the time now, right?”

“So it’s okay?”

“It’s better than okay… It’s really good! I think someone’s been lying this whole time…” she teased as she continued to take more sips of the broth. “Ahhh… perfect for this chilly day…”

I felt so proud my effort had paid off.

“Actually… I’ve been kind of, sort of practicing… secretly…” I confessed as I started digging into the food. I was starved.

“Huh? Secretly practicing? When did this happen…?” she asked but she wasn’t really concerned because she was still shoveling the jjigae into her face.

“Uhm… I contacted the instructor who taught us at the couple’s cooking class… I went for a few more of her classes…” I explained.

“So you’ve been sneaking around behind my back, huh? Damn, now I really need to keep a closer eye on you,” she joked.

“You don’t sound too concerned though…”

She laughed. “You want me to be a jealous and possessive girlfriend? Because I can be… But I know you’re not that type of person.”

“What if it was Jess or Sooyoung?” I smirked.

“I’ll skin you alive and turn you into Fany-jjigae…” she warned me without even blinking.

“Woah… scary Taeng! I’d better be more careful…” I said cheekily.

“Actually, you probably won’t be able to get Sica anyway. Those two are crazy in love.”

“Oh, right… Yes, those two. I can’t believe I didn’t notice sooner…”

“Well, were they really that much different before?”

“Hmmm… No, not really. Although they argue less now…”

Taeyeonie chuckled. “I’m sure they still argue… It’s just that they probably make up more easily after.”

“Aigoo… Kim Taeyeon… Stop being a ert.”

“Hey, it comes with the package okay… If you want me, you have to accept all of me…”

“If only I knew sooner… But now that I’m addicted to you, it’s hard to quit, you know?”

“Aish, you fluff ball! You should have known though… You’ve known me for so long.”

“Hmmm, yes. And somehow you’ve managed to keep this side of you hidden well.”

“Yeap, it was all part of my 12 year plan to win you over.”

“Good job,” I started clapping my hands. “You succeded…”

“Thank you, thank you…” she bowed in her seat.

We may be in a relationship but we were definitely still two goofy, dorky best friends more than ever, and I loved that about us.

As she continued to enjoy her meal, I discretely stared at her. I had always thought that Taeyeonie was the coolest person I had ever met; the kid who stood up for what she believed in. She was a dork yet she was a deep thinker. But ultimately she had the most beautiful heart of anyone I’ve ever known. She was beautiful both on the inside and the outside; the most wonderful human being but she would never brag about it. I doubt she has ever even let it cross her mind because she just is; she didn’t have to think about it.

“Taeyeon-ah…”

“Yeah…?” she answered but she didn’t look my way.

“Taeyeonie…”

“What is it?” Still busy eating.

“Yah, Kim Taeyeon!”

“Wae?!” She finally lifted her head and looked me in the eye, albeit a little annoyed.

“Saranghae.”

“Huh?”

“Saranghanda.”

“Wae geurae…?”

“Nothing… I just wanted you to know that I love you.”

“Why are you being weird all of a sudden?”

“I was just… thinking… Even when we first met, I thought you were the strangest but coolest person ever. And now I think you’re just the most amazing human being I’ve ever met.”

“Why are you telling me this out of nowhere?” She seemed a little confused.

“Because I love you and I want you to know that.”

Her cheeks turned a rosy pink but she pretended to be cool about it.

“You’re so sweet…” she replied.

I had already figured she would react this way. I thought it was so endearing how shy she was sometimes. Even though she had trouble expressing her feelings, I knew exactly how she felt so it didn’t bother me. She had her own ways of showing me how she felt, so I took it upon myself to be the more expressive one.

“Fany-ah…”

“Yes, babe?”

“Neoeobsi mossara (I can’t live without you)…” she said.

My heart literally skipped a beat. It was so rare for her to say something so romantic that I almost didn’t realize what she was saying. I was so stunned that I was speechless.

“I’m sorry I don’t express myself as much as should… but I do love you. I hope you know that,” she added, seeing as how I dumbfounded I was.

I gave her a smile and used my finger to gesture for her to come closer. “Come here, you…”

She leaned closer and I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Babo-ya, of course I know that even if you don’t say it. I can see it in your eyes all the time but it does make me really happy when you say it,” I told her with a slight chuckle. “But I think I express myself enough for the both of us.”

“Regardless, I will try my best to express myself better from now on…” she replied, cupping my cheek with her hand.

“So… I’ve actually been meaning to talk to you about something…” I sighed. I really didn’t want to talk about it.

“What is it?”

“It’s about my family…”

“Uhm… right… and?”

“Well… as you know… they’re crazy… but… they’re they ones I have and sooner or later, you’re going to have to meet them…” I treaded water.

“Just get to the point, babe.”

“Okay, so I didn’t tell you about my conversation with Sooyoung when you told me to call her. I think you should know that what she did, it was just an act. She was trying to protect me. She just wanted to make sure you really do love me because when my family finds out about our relationship, they’re going to poke and prod, and they’re basically going to try and break us apart.”

“You don’t know that…”

“Trust me… and please don’t take this to offense, but you’re not exactly what they had planned for their precious little girl. If they could, they’d force me to marry someone who is beneficial to them.”

“That’s not going to happen! Never! I’ll make them see that there’s no one better for you than I am.”

“They’re going to accuse you of being a golddigger.”

“Let them…”

“They’re going to say you stole me from them.”

“I’ll prove them wrong…”

“They’re going to hate you.”

“I’ll change their minds…”

“They’re going to try and hurt you, not physically but they’ll do everything short of torturing you.”

“Bring it on…”

“I hate that you’ll have to deal with my insane family just because of me…”

“Fany, ah… It’s worth it… You’re worth it…”

“I’m so lucky to have you…”

“Yes, you are…” she smirked. “But I got the better end of the deal.”

“Taeyeonie… Neobakke eobseo (There’s no one else like you)…”

“Well… I’m really nothing without you. We make the perfect pair, Fany…”

“Like peas and carrots…” I chuckled. “Stick with me, kiddo…”

“Definitely… Until the end…”