Blast from the Past

Entangled

(Taeyeon’s POV)

“Bye, Taeyeon unni! It was awesome meeting up with you today! Say hi to Tiffany unni for me…” Krystal said as I got out of the car.

“It was nice seeing you, we should do it again soon… Maybe the four of us next time,” Sica added.

“It’s my pleasure ladies…! See you soon…” I waved to them and watched them drive off.

I sighed as I walked towards the building entrance. It was nice catching up with the Jungs but I was still going to spend the night alone. I let out another sigh.

Have I really become one of those people who can’t even be away from their girlfriend even for a day? I’m so pathetic… We spend way too much time together. Now I feel incomplete when she wasn’t around…

I was lost in thought and just mindlessly punching in the code to the front entrance when someone tapped me on the shoulder from behind. I didn’t hear any sound leading up to it so it gave me a shock, causing me to let out a short but loud scream.

I turned around and I came face to face with a stranger. Actually, it wasn’t face to face; she was much taller than I was so she was towering over me, but I definitely haven’t seen her in the building before.

“Ohmigod! You scared me!” I told her as I clutched my chest to steady my heart.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you… I was just wondering… You live in this building, right? That’s a stupid question… you were just punching in the code… Anyway I was wondering, do you know someone by the name of Tiffany Hwang?”

Who is this person?!

“Uhm… yeah. As a matter of fact, I do… Why?” I asked cautiously.

“Oh! Great! Do you by any chance know which unit she lives in?” the girl asked.

“She’s not in right now…” I told her.

“Oh… that’s a bummer… Are you sure? How do you know?”

Seriously… who is this girl?! And what does she want with Fany?! Is Fany seeing her behind my back?!

“Yes! I’m sure… We, uhm… I’m her best friend and roommate, so I’m pretty sure.”

“Oh! I see… I’m sorry… I didn’t realize she had a roommate. Uhm… do you know where she is or when she’ll be back?”

What is this? 60 minutes? What’s with all the questions?!

I was getting really annoyed by this girl… I wasn’t sure why. I didn’t think I was like this usually…

“She’s home visiting her family… she’ll be back tomorrow. Can I ask what this is about? Or at least your name…?”

“Oh, don’t worry about it… Thanks! I’ll be off now…” she replied and then walked off quickly.

I was so baffled by all of it that I didn’t bother calling after her to interrogate her further.

What a weirdo! Is she stalking Fany? Fany had better not be cheating on me!

Now my mind was filled with questions about this girl… I wanted to call or text Fany about it but I knew nothing about the girl… I didn’t even know what her name was… I had nothing to go off of so I had no choice but to just wait until she got home.

UGH! Hwang Miyoung! You’re so dead when you get home!


(The next day…)

I reached for my phone that was on the nightstand when I heard that I had received a text.

“I missed you, naekkeodeul. I’m on my way home. I’ll be there soon. I have some news. See you soon. <3”

Hmmm… I wonder what happened with her family…

I was still tossing in bed, too lazy to get up but since she said she would be home soon, I decided to force myself up and get cleaned up.

I quickly hopped in the shower and just as I was getting out, I heard Fany’s loud voice calling out.

“Taeyeonie! I’m home!”

She’s back already? That was quick!

I decided to just wrap myself in my bathrobe and go greet her, my hair still dripping wet.

“Sorry, Fany… I just got out of…” I started but when I got to the living room I was greeted by not just Fany but also a familiar stranger.

“Woah… Taeyeonie…!” Tiffany exclaimed.

“Why didn’t you say you had company…?!” I felt so awkward that I had so little on and I was all disheveled.

“Sorry babe… Anyway this ghost of a person is someone I haven’t seen in years! She suddenly appeared out of nowhere yesterday night at my family home…”

“Hmmm… yes, we’ve met… sort of…”

It was the weird person from yesterday.

Who the heck is she and how did she end up at Fany’s family home?

“Hello. We meet again… sorry about yesterday… Let me introduce myself properly. I’m Choi Sooyoung. Please to meet you,” the girl bowed slightly.

I bowed back awkwardly, holding my robe closed.

“Uhm… would you mind if I got dressed first? I’ll be right out…” I told them.

“You should! Sooyoung! Close your eyes! How dare you look at my precious!” Fany giggled while she held her hand over the girl's eyes.

The girl laughed as well.

I blushed and got annoyed at the same time.

Why is she so chummy with this girl?! And why is she saying things like that in front of her?!

I frantically threw on some clothes and dried my hair as quickly as possible. Then I went back out to join them.

They were in the living room and apparently in the middle of some funny story of some kind because they were both laughing really hard.

“Uhm… yes… so I don’t know how much Fany has told you about me but-“

“Taeyeon, why didn’t you just tell me you were her girlfriend yesterday?” the girl said.

“You didn’t tell me you came here first either…” Tiffany said to her.

“I wasn’t sure if Fany wanted to disclose our relationship to everyone…” I looked at Fany.

“What?! Next time… anyone who asks… tell them you’re my lover! I want the world to know you’re mine!” Tiffany exclaimed.

My eyes widened for a second and I blushed madly at how open she was being in front of this stranger. Well she was a stranger to me but obviously not to Fany.

“Yah! You know there’s someone else in the room right?” I mumbled to Fany.

“Eiii… you don’t have to worry about Sooyoung… she’s like a sister to me…”

“A sister whom gave you your first kiss…!” the girl chuckled.

“Shut up, you! You stole that from me! I was totally unwilling!” Fany protested.

My mouth gaped wide open. “WHAT?!” I said a little too loudly. It was all I could get out.

“Miyoung… have you not mentioned me at all?” the girl asked.

“Have I not? I don’t even remember… Have I not mentioned her to you, Taeyeonie?”

“Uhm… no I don’t think so…”

“This is outrageous, Miyoung! Did you try and completely erase your first love from your memory…?” the girl said cheekily.

“WHAT?!” I exclaimed again… My brain seemed to have ceased to function because that was all I could come up with as a response to everything that was being said.

“Yah, yah! Watch it… I don’t want you telling lies in front of Taeyeonie… She’ll freak out…” Fany warned the girl.

“Fine… fine… It was more like a crush… puppy love I guess… we were too young for any sort of real romantic feelings,” the girl clarified.

“Okay… let’s make this clear… YOU were the one hanging around me first… and then you kissed me without any warning…” Fany objected.

“You didn’t complain… From what I remembered, you held my hand first…”

Fany cleared but didn’t bother giving a response.

“Oh… but that was a long time ago… Distant memories…” the girl added.

I had just met this girl and she was already making herself way too comfortable for my liking. Although, it wasn’t really her fault. Fany had never mentioned any of this to me. We’ve been best friends for so long and she’d never once mentioned her first love… or whatever it was between them… let alone her first kiss. I didn’t like it… I didn’t like it one bit. It didn’t help that I was caught off guard. Maybe it would have been better if I was all dolled up and looking good, then I could at least hold my own against this model-like girl that had legs that went on for days, instead of looking like a soggy, wet mess…

“Okay… wait… can one of you please explain how you know each other?” I finally managed to get my words out.

“Oh right, well, Sooyoung and I grew up together. She’s my aunt’s second husband’s daughter, which makes us, what, step cousins?” Fany directed her question to the girl.

“Sounds about right…” the girl nodded.

“Anyway, we were very close when we were kids, she used to hang around me all the time and then there was a little puppy love thing… But then her father moved her family to Japan and we sort of lost contact. Thanks a lot by the way… You didn’t even bother mentionining that you were returning…”

“It’s called a surprise… duh!”

“Right… So you’re back for good, Sooyoung-shi?” I asked.

“No, not really… I’m only back for business purposes. I still live in Japan,”

“Ah… I see…”

“Also, you don’t have to be a stranger… Miyoung’s family… So you’re family by default,” she smiled.

She may have been a little too outgoing for my liking but she seemed genuinely nice. And even if I didn’t want to like her, I couldn’t find any reason to do otherwise…

“So… Miyoung! Why is this the first time I’ve heard any of this?!” I asked while giving her the death glare.

“Uh… uhm… I thought I mentioned it before… You know we’ve know each other for so long and we’ve talked about so many things… It’s difficult to keep track of what I’ve told you…” she answered nervously.

“Ooooooo… You are in sooooooo much trouble, Miyoung!”

“Shut up! You’re the one getting me into trouble here…” Fany scolded the girl.

“Taeyeon, you don’t have to feel threatened. It was a long time ago… and it meant nothing… We were young… it was probably just because I was always around her and she didn’t really know anyone else…”

“How is it you always find some underhanded way of insulting me?” Fany asked in annoyance.

Who said I felt threatened? Tch! The nerve of this girl…!

“Oh, don’t worry… I have someone on standby to take her place at any time…” I told the girl.

She grinned. “Oh, Miyoung… You picked a good girlfriend… I like her… She’s got spunk! I guess that’s your type, huh?”

“Tch! Are you comparing yourself to my Taeyeonie? My Taeyeonie is a goddess beyond your reach, Sooyoung!” Fany said as she grabbed me by the waist and pulled me towards her. Then she pecked me on the cheek.

I wanted to be mad at her but the fact that she just said that… I was totally putty in her hands now.

“Aigoo… Showing off your girlfriend in front of me? Ouch! Miyoung, you hurt me so much…” the girl laughed. “See, Taeyeon… apparently I’m not match for you…”

Damn you and your sweet talk, Hwang Miyoung! Don’t think I’m going to just forget about this…

“Oh, so what happened with your family? And what sort of business are you here for Sooyoung-shi?”

“I told you, you don’t have to be so formal… Anyway I’m here on a joint project with a Korean company and we need someone to do our PR and promotions. That’s where Miyoung comes in…”

Fany sighed. “Yes, well… There’s good news and bad news I guess… My father has decided to step down and retire. He wants my brother to take over the company but he’s worried about the voting. He wants to make sure I cast my vote in his favor. I hate these family politics! This is exactly why I refused to go into the family business!”

“I’m so sorry babe…” I wrapped my arms around her to comfort her. “What’s the good news then?”

“Sooyoung here is giving my company a chance to bid for the project account. If we win it, it will be our biggest project to date! It’s really high profile and it could potentially put us on the map!”

“The bidding is just a formality… You’re going to get it…” the girl told her.

“No! I don’t want you to just give it to me… My bid should be the best if you’re going to accept it…”

And this is the Fany I loved. Time and time again she amazes me with her conviction. She could so easily use her family connections to get ahead but she always refuses to do so and she never needed it, because she was that capable and talented. She could make it on her own.

“I’m so attracted to you right now…” I whispered in her ear.

“Really? Damn, I wish Sooyoung wasn’t here…” Fany replied.

“Just you wait until we’re alone…” I whispered again, this time intentionally leaning in way too close.

“Ahem… so Sooyoung… I’m sure you’ve got plans right? You’ve met Taeyeon… I won’t be keeping you…” Fany said a little too eagerly.

I stopped myself from laughing but Fany was just too adorable.

“Uhm… no… I don’t really have any plans for today… You do know it’s Sunday right? Work starts tomorrow…” Sooyoung replied.

Fany’s expression turned a little sour and I couldn’t help myself but chuckle a little, but I tried covering it up by clearing my throat.

“Right…” Fany sighed. “So… what are you planning to do now?”

“I thought I could hang around with you two… I would really love to get to know Taeyeon better… You know… like Sun Tzu said: keep your friends close and your enemies closer…”

Oh no, she did not just say that!

“Are you serious?! What on earth, Sooyoung?!” Fany asked incredulously.

She burst out laughing. “Just kidding! I’m not blind okay! I can see you two want to be left alone… I’ll come by your office tomorrow, so you two can enjoy yourselves now…”

“Aish! Sooyoung! You haven’t changed a bit…” Fany shook her head.

“Okay, well… bye Taeyeon. It was nice to meet you. We’ll chat more some other time…” she bowed and actually gave me a quick hug.

It was awkward for me.

Fany saw her to the door and bid her farewell.

“Finally… we’re alone…” she said after closing the door. She walked over to me and went in for a kiss.

I leaned back, not allowing the kiss to happen.

“Not. So. Fast. Missy!” I said.

“What? Why? What did I do?” she pretended to be innocent.

“Really? You’re going to plead innocent?”

“Oh hey… you met up with the Jungs right? Did you have fun?”

“Oh, no you don’t… Don’t even try and change the subject…!” I warned her sternly.

“Fine…” she sighed. “Jalmothaesseo… I really didn’t realize that I never mentioned any of this to you… Honestly, I really can’t remember what I’ve told you and what I haven’t… But I’m not trying to hide anything. I swear!” She made a cross on her heart with her finger.

“Hmmm… alright… You’re forgiven this time… I know you won’t intentionally lie to me…”

“Oh, you’re so good to me, naekkeodeul! I love you, I love you, I love you!” she kissed me repeatedly on my cheek.

“Okay, okay… No more secrets! You’re forgiven but it’s not forgotten…”

“Of course… I’m an open book! What do you want to know? Ask me and I shall tell you…”

“Let me make a list and I’ll get back to you on that…”

“Yes, ma’am! No problem, ma’am!” she gave me a salute.

“So… she’s your first love and kiss, huh?! So that’s your type… tall, pretty, model-like type…”

“Uh… no…! Were you not paying attention… she’s not my first love… it was just a crush… puppy love… she left when we were 11, before I even met you…”

“But if she didn’t leave, would you two have ended up together?”

“I don’t know the answer to that… but I do know that I would have eventually ended up with you…!”

“How do you know that…?”

“Because you’re the only one I’ve ever loved…”

“Eiii… you’re lying!” I hit her arm playfully.

“No… I’m serious…”

“Impossible!”

“Why?! Sure I’ve had some feelings for others but it was never love… I know because it’s totally different from what I feel for you. You know when we were pranking the Jungs and you pretended to leave? When you got into that taxi and I watched you drive away… I felt my heart break. Even though I knew we were just pretending… it still hurt me and I still cried. I can’t even imagine if you really left me… I’d probably die!”

“Stop being a drama queen!”

“But that’s really how I feel… You wanted the truth… so I’m telling you the truth…”

I knew that she was and my heart literally skipped a beat, but I shrugged it off only because I felt totally embarrassed.

“I can never let you go even if I die…” I mumbled.

“Does that mean you’ll come back and haunt me? That’s too scary!” She pretended to shiver and then giggled.

“But it’s me… you don’t have to be afraid… I promise I’ll be a nice one…” I stuck my tongue out at her.

“Oh, so you’ll be Teayeonie the friendly ghost? I can deal with that…” she giggled some more.

“Okay, okay… enough talk! We’re alone now… What do you want to do? Did you miss me?” I smirked.

“Well… I missed my little animal…” she smirked back.

I knew she would say something like that…

And just like two opposite ends of a magnet, our bodies naturally drew to each other. It wasn’t even noon yet but we ended up in bed again. Of course, we told ourselves it was making up for the previous night…

In the back of my mind, I was still unsettled. Even though I trusted Fany… I had my reservations about that Sooyoung girl. She seemed a little suspicious. I just didn’t trust her… and NOT because I was jealous…