Worrywart

Entangled

(Taeyeon’s POV)

“Ohmigod! What a crazy night… I nearly had a panic attack when I found Krystal unconscious. Lucky you came home just in time!” I told Fany as we were driving home from the hospital.

“I know… I hope it’s nothing serious. Jess is still angry at herself even though none of us could have foreseen this…” she agreed.

“When did the doctor say the test result would come back?” I asked.

“I think it takes about 24 hours or something like that…” she answered.

“Oh man… that’s too long! I’m not going to be sleeping tonight…” I said.

I doubted it was anything serious though, or at least I really hoped so. Krystal seemed to be healthy enough usually… I was pretty sure it was just a fluke. Still I couldn’t seem to stop this worrying feeling.

“Don’t worry… I bet Jess will not let Krystal out of her sight for the time being… If anything happens, she’ll definitely let us know. So no news is good news,” she said, lifting her hand and resting it on my shoulder.

“Has she really not mentioned to you the deal with her and Krystal?” I asked in curiosity.

“No! It was definitely the first time she’s ever mentioned it. I can’t believe it though… Those two are inseparable…” she exclaimed.

“Just because they don’t share any genetics doesn’t mean that their bond isn’t as strong as any other normal siblings. I don’t think that it makes a difference either way. Krystal has only ever known that Sica is her big sister all her life and Sica obviously cares a lot about her sister… I think they are rather remarkable really.”

She gave me a quick eye smile.

“What?” I asked. I was curious what that smile was for.

“I think YOU’RE remarkable! Most people wouldn’t think the way you do. You always have the best insight. That’s one of the things I love about you,” she said.

It was moments like these that still made my heart flutter. Even though I had gotten used to the fact that we were now just friends, there were definitely still lingering feelings that resurfaced every once in awhile.

Dammit Fany… How are you able to still make me feel this way…?

“Fany… If I got really sick… would you be sad?” I joked.

I wondered to what extent I meant to her. It was an egotistical question but my heart really wanted to know.

“ANDWAE!” she shouted.

“What…?”

“You can’t get sick. Never! I don’t even want to think about it! NEVER, EVER!” she wailed.

“Okay… but seriously though… what IF…” I pressed.

She hesitated and her expression turned serious.

“I would be devastated…” she answered.

“Really?”

She nodded. “Devastated wouldn’t even begin to describe it… You know you’re like family to me, and sometimes even more… If you hurt, I hurt too! So you better not get sick! Otherwise you’re dead meat!”

I wasn’t expecting her to say that but she said it so adorably I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Oh, you think I’m kidding?” she stuck her tongue out at me and pinched my arm.

“Yah! If anything, you’d be the death of me, Hwang Miyoung!”

“Ouch! Don’t say that… That’s so mean and hurtful…” she pouted.

“Fine, fine… I’m sorry. Don’t give me that look… You know that I love you…”

“Yeah, I know…” she giggled. “I love you too… So don’t you dare get sick!”

“I won’t, if you won’t…” I grinned.

She replied with a smirk. “Call!”


(Krystal’s POV)

“Jessie! Please stop fussing! I’m fine… I feel a lot better…” I told her in annoyance.

She just wouldn’t stop making a big fuss over everything and she wouldn’t stop babying me.

“Then stop trying to get up! You need to rest…” she said in return.

“I need to stretch my legs… They’re cramping up…”

“Where? Here?” she asked as she started massaging my leg.

Her touch sent a tingling up my spine.

“Uhm… actually I’m fine… so you don’t have to do that…” I changed my mind as I pushed her hands away.

“Okay… Are you sure you aren’t feeling sick anywhere?”

“Yes, Jessie… I’m fine. You’re being overly worried right now…”

“I can never be overly worried when it comes to you! You know that when you’re hurt, I feel the pain too…”

What she said was way too mushy… It made my insides churn.

“Jessie…”

I turned to look at her and was about to tell her to stop being a worrywart when our eyes met. I wasn’t sure what it was but it was as if she was conflicted about telling me something. I could tell something was different.

“Jessie, is something wrong?” I asked.

She hesitated very slightly. “No. I’m just anxious about the blood test… I hope everything is alright…”

“Stop being a silly head, Jessie! I KNOW I’m fine…I can feel it in my bones. I’m definitely fine… I promise!”

“You shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep…”

I thought about it for a second. “I promise!” I told her as I looked her straight in the eyes.

I leaned over and gave her a hug. I thought she really needed it… even more than I did considering I was the one admitted to the hospital.

The door to my room opened and the doctor walked in.

“Hi, Dr. Song. Did you have any news?” Jessie greeted her.

“Not yet. The results will only come back tomorrow evening. I just wanted to check up on Krystal here one last time for tonight,” she answered. Then she turned to me. “How are you feeling Krystal? Are you feeling any aches or pain anywhere?”

“No, I feel a lot better,” I told her.

“Good… good… That’s a good sign.”

She proceeded to talk my pulse, check my pupil dilation and took my temperature, while marking my chart.

“Everything seems to be good. Your temperature is back to normal.”

“See, Jessie! I told you I’m fine…” I gloated.

“We still have to wait for the test results to determine what caused the Leukopenia, so for now I suggest that you just get as much rest as possible,” the doctor said.

I looked over at Jessie and she raised her eye brow giving me an “I-told-you-so” look.

“I will check back on you tomorrow. Get some rest you two,” Dr. Song told us and left.

“Told you!” we both said at the same time right as the door closed and we gave each other a smirk.

“Jinx!” we said together again.

“Stop it!” I told her. “Stop copying what I’m saying…”

“Fine… I’ll let you have this one… IF you get some rest now…”

“That’s blackmail!” I protested.

“Stop complaining you baby! Do you want to come home as soon as possible or not?!”

I couldn’t argue with that. Of course I wanted to go home. I’d go home right now if I could.

“Good…” she ended our spat and tucked me in.

“What about you, Jessie?”

“I’ll just sleep in the chair…”

“Why don’t you just come back in the morning…?” I didn’t want her to do that because of me.

“I told you, there’s no way I’m letting you out of my sight…!”

She’s so stubborn!

“Uhm… then… you want to share the bed?” I asked.

She gave me a surprised look.

“I don’t think that’s allowed, besides it won’t fit the both of us…” she said.

“And you’re going to let that stop you? Just get in…” I told her.

She hesitated for a while but in the end she gave in, as I knew she would. There was no way she would sleep in the chair.

The hospital bed was the size of a single so it was a tight squeeze for the both of us.

“Are you sure you’re okay with this? I’ll just-“ she tried to get off but I wrapped my arms around her so she couldn’t leave.

“Goodnight, Jessie!” I cut her off.

“Goodnight, Kryssie…” she sighed.