Mischief Managed

Entangled

(Tiffany’s POV)

“Are you still mad?” she asked me.

“I’m not mad Taeyeonie… I’m just embarrassed. You caught me off guard and it was a total disaster… on my part at least,” I told her.

“It wasn’t that bad… the dessert was good…”

“You made that! I can’t even make salad dressing!”

“I’m sorry, okay…? I thought that a couple’s cooking class would be fun… I guess not…” she said with guilt.

“I didn’t say that… I swear I’m not mad Taeyeonie. It’s just… next time, if you’re going to take me to do something you know I dread, warn me, so I can prepare myself mentally.”

“If I told you, would you have come?”

I thought about it for a second. “No… I guess not… Not willingly anyway…”

“I’m really sorry…” She stopped in her tracks and just stared at the ground.

“Did I say that I was mad or that I hated it? No…”

“But you were quiet the whole time… And I know you’re only quiet when you’re angry…”

“I was just trying to concentrate… but it didn’t work anyway… I still messed everything up…”

“I thought the food tasted fine…”

“That’s because you’ve tasted my usual cooking… And it’s easy for you to say… everyone loved your dessert!”

She let out a slight chuckle. “I guess I’ll just have to be the one doing the cooking…”

“And I’ll do the bread-winning…”

“Oh, you’re so cool, Hwang seobang!”

I laughed. “Don’t worry; oppa will take care of you…”

“How can you be my oppa? Technically I’m older than you…”

“Why you gotta steal my thunder…?”

“Mian, mian! So, oppa… I’m still hungry… shall we get something to before heading home?”

“I think we’d better… I’m hungry too… Why am I such a terrible cook?!”

“It’s okay, I get full just from your love…”

“Ohmigod!” I exclaimed. “Taeyeonie… did you just say something super corny?! I’m dying of shock right now!”

“Ohmigod! Why did I say that?! I must be going crazy…!”

I started feeling around her face. “Are you sick Taeyeonie? Do we need to get you some help?”

We both laughed.

“I guess it’s true that couples turn into each other after some time… I just didn’t realize it would be this soon… Oh no! This is terrible!”

“Yah! Haven’t you insulted me enough for today? Someone’s going to get kicked out of the house tonight…”

“I mean on me! It’s terrible on me… I love it on you, babe! It’s too much if we’re both fluffy…” she gave me an innocent look.

“Yeah, yeah… Nice save Kim Taeyeon… I’m keeping my eye on you…” I narrowed my eyes as if looking at her suspiciously.

“Awww… Don’t be mad, oppa. You’re my cool Hwang seobang, remember?” she said, using her aegyo charms against me.

“Okay, okay… let’s grab a bite and then head home.”

“Call!”


(Jessica’s POV)

“Why are you dressed so nicely?!” I asked Kryssie when I saw her walk out of her room in a sleeveless black dress with grey ts.

“What do you mean? We’re going to the theatre. You should at least dress a little nicer. Is that what you’re wearing?” she asked in return.

Honestly I thought she was a little overdressed but she took the time to dress up, I didn’t want to ruin it for her. Although I wished she wouldn’t dress for provocatively. I didn’t want the rest of the world gawking at my Kryssie…

I looked down at my outfit. I was wearing a simple white blouse, black skinny jeans and a grey blazer.

“Uhm… yes… Why? Is there something wrong?” I wondered out loud.

“No… you look fine… I guess… Hey! Actually, we’re in matching outfits!” she exclaimed.

I looked at her and then myself again.

“Oh… I didn’t even realize. Do you want me to change?”

I wasn’t sure if we were too matchy in our outfits.

“No… I like it…” she smiled. “It’s just the right kind of matchy. Not too obvious…”

It felt so trite to be in a couple’s outfit. It was such a commonplace thing for couples. Yet, there was a reason why couples liked to dress alike… It was cute, sentimental… Couples wanted to be identified as two people that belonged together. And I felt that way about Kryssie, even though we still didn’t know what others would think and what it might mean to our family unit in the future.

Soon, Kryssie would officially turn 20. She would be an adult by Korean standards and that meant that she was allowed to make her own decisions and she wasn’t legally bound to mom and dad anymore. But that didn’t mean that we could just do whatever we wanted. To be an adult meant not only taking responsibility for our own actions but also to consider how our actions affect those around us.

But still, for now… just for now… I didn’t want to think about it. I just wanted to he happy and enjoy being in the moment while it lasted…

“Me too… I like it too… You look… better than a present on Christmas day…”

“Stop.”

“Stop what?”

“Stop looking at me like that…”

“How am I looking at you?”

“Like I’m something out of your reach…”

How does she know what I’m feeling just by looking at me? Am I that readable; like a book?

“That’s not how I’m looking at you…” I objected.

“Yes it is… You look like you went to reach for something but someone snatched it out of your hands.”

That’s because we were so close… yet still so far…

“Nonsense,” I lied. “I was just thinking that you might start giving Yoona the wrong signals… Why’d she ask you out anyway? And why did you drag me into this?” I complained after regaining my composure.

“She likes you, not me… She’s probably just trying to butter me up after what Tiffany unni told her. I don’t mind though… if she’s going to give me stuff…” she laughed.

“So you’re pimping me out?! Your own girlfriend?! If not girlfriend, your sister?! This is outrageous…” I huffed.

“Honestly… I too wanted to find out what her agenda was… but I didn’t want to go alone…” she told me with a guilty look.

I sighed. “The things I do for love… You’ve blinded me, declawed me, turned me into a fool… Are you still sure you want me?”

“Yes, I’m sure! 100%! Nothing will change my mind,” she yelled out as she threw her arms around me and squeezed all the air out of my lungs.

“But I’m practically useless now…”

“No… I think you’re still the same, just… tamer...” she giggled.

“So I was a tiger before and now I’m just a house cat?”

“Basically…” she giggled some more.

“I don’t know whether to be insulted or not…”

“Don’t be insulted, Jessie… You’re my pet…”

“And you’re mine…” I squeezed her back and nuzzled her neck.

“What time is it?” she asked when we finally let go of each other.

“Time for us to go, if we don’t want to be late…” I replied.

“Wait… let me grab my jacket… Oh hey, no flirting with Yoona unni while I’m around!” she said as she went to grab her jacket.

“Me?! Same to you, missy! I’m not the one crushing on her right now…”

“Yeah, you better not be!”

“I thought you weren’t threatened…”

“That doesn’t mean I’m not possessive over my girlfriend…”

I couldn’t help but grin. “Kryssie… I love it when you’re like this…”

“You do? Most people don’t want their partners to be possessive and jealous…”

“Yeah, but it’s so cute on you… I just wanna…” I raised one of my eyebrow.

“Are you absolutely sure we have to leave now?” she asked cheekily.

“Yes… and you’re the one who agreed to this remember?”

She sighed. “Yeah because I wasn’t expecting this…”

“What do you think is going to happen…?” I smirked.

“Huh? What? Nothing…” Her cheeks turned pink.

“Aigoo… You little cutie pie… We should get going…” I pinched her cheek.

She bit her bottom lip and gave me an angry look which made her even more adorable.

“I take that to mean you’re ready to go…?”

“Are you doing this to me on purpose?” she asked.

I nodded.

“You’re punishing me for making you go to this thing, aren’t you?”

I nodded.

“Fair enough…” she kissed me on the cheek. “Let’s go…”


(Tiffany’s POV)

“I just want to be able to make one thing well… Just one thing… What’s your favorite?”

For someone like my who was culinarily challenged, it was useless to try and become a good cook. Instead the proper strategy would be to focus my efforts on perfecting one dish… One simple dish that I knew Taeyeonie would like, then I could make it for her whenever she wanted.

“Are we still on this…? Mmmm… any kind of haejangguk!”

“Really?”

“Yeah! It’s good for so many reasons…”

“You just want me to make it when you’re hungover…”

“That’s only one reason why it’s good… It’s just plain delicious!”

“Okay… haejangguk… got it…”

“Are you actually going to make that for me?”

“I was just asking…”

“Awww… you got my hopes up for nothing…”

“I can’t even fry an egg… you want me to make a stew?”

“Yeah, you just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot…”

“If that’s the case, anyone can cook, my love…”

“Hmmm… I guess…”

We were finally home after what felt like a long day for a weekend day. I immediately crashed on the couch.

“Hey now that we’re home did you forget something?” Taeyeonie asked.

Huh? What did I forget? Did I promise her something?

“Uhm… What is it?”

“Are you just pretending or did you forget that you’re supposed to call your cousin?” she looked at me disapprovingly.

Oh! I forgot!

“Don’t give me that look… I actually forgot, okay? I’ll call her now…”

“Good. I’m going to go take a shower in the mean time…” she said and then headed off to her room.

I was really looking forward to the conversation but I had promised Taeyeonie and I wasn’t about to go back on my word. So I gave Sooyoung a call.

“Miyoung! I’m so happy you finally called back. I’ve been trying to get a hold of you since that night…” she said immediately after picking up the phone. She didn’t even bother to say hello or ask me how I was doing.

“Why, hello to you to Sooyoung. I’m doing well… what about you?” I said sarcastically.

“Sorry… I’ve just been desperately trying to get you to call me back… But I’m glad you did. Thank you.”

“Let me make this clear, Sooyoung. I’m still mad at you, and I didn’t actually want to call you back, but Taeyeon forced me to call you. She thinks that there’s nothing more important than family and she doesn’t want me to continue ignoring you.”

There was a short moment of silence.

“I’m so happy you told me this, Miyoung. I was right about Taeyeon unni afterall…”

“What?! No, you weren’t! She’s nothing like you made her out to be! I can’t believe you’re still on that! I’m going to hang up now!” I yelled into the phone.

“WAIT MIYOUNG! That’s not what I’m talking about!” she shouted over the phone.

“Sorry? What do you mean?”

“What I said to her that night… I didn’t mean it. I was just trying to get a rise out of her.”

“Why would you do that?”

“I needed to me sure what kind of person she is…”

“She’s the warmest, kindest, most pure-hearted person there is… That’s who she is. And she’s the love of my life…”

“And I know that for sure now…”

“You should have just taken my word for it!”

“Miyoung… I’m just trying to look out for you. I love you, Miyoung… No, not in that way… I love you as a cousin, a sister, someone important… and I know how your family is. I wanted to make sure that she is whom I thought I had already assumed to be the moment I met her. I had no doubt that she was a nice person but I needed proof that she would always look out for your best interest. But now… Miyoung… you know you’ve got to get her prepared for your family, right?  They’re worst than what I put her through. Do they even know that you’re dating a girl? Do they know that you’re gay?”

I was in utter shock. I wasn’t expecting any of this.

She was doing all this for us? She was trying to protect us? How could I have been so wrong? I should have known that she wasn’t the kind to have done what she did…

“I… I’m so sorry, Sooyoung. I didn’t realize what you were trying to do. I should have listened to what you had to say…”

“It’s okay… I get it. I’m so envious of you two. You obviously love each other a lot. I’m happy you found someone who’s worthy of you, Miyoung.”

“Thanks… and you’re right… my family would definitely be worse. I haven’t really mentioned it to them but I’m pretty sure they know. But I have yet to introduce Taeyeonie to my family.”

“You’d better prepare her… and no matter what… don’t let her go.”

“Never. I can never let her go.”

“Good… I’m glad.”

“Sooyoung… I’m really sorry…”

“Stop… You have nothing to be sorry about. I knew what I was getting into when I did what I did. I’m just hoping that Taeyeon unni can understand what I did and forgive me for it.”

“She already has… She said you were probably just being protective,” I told her reassuringly.

“She is indeed a kind soul. If it was me, I would have told you never to talk to me again.”

“Taeyeonie’s not that kind of person… She’s so forgiving, and she never holds a grudge.”

“Tell her I’m sorry for what I did…”

“Tell her yourself. Why don’t you come over for dinner later this week?”

“Sure… Are you going to cook?”

“Uhm… I might have to figure something out… You don’t know this but I can’t cook…” I told her.

She chuckled. “So I was wrong about everything you do being the best…”

“Yah, yah… Cooking is the only thing, okay…”

“Anyway, I would love to go over for dinner…”

“Excellent. I’ll let you know when.”

“Sounds good. By the way, how’s the proposal coming along?”

“I’m confident that we’ll surprise you… in a good way,” I told her with certainty.

“Great. I really hope you win the bid.”

“Me too. It’s what my company needs to really take off.”

“Okay, well… I’ll see you later this week… Thanks for calling me back…”

“I should have done it sooner…” I said with guilt.

“I’m always on your side, Miyoung.”

“Thanks, Sooyoung. I’ll see you soon.”

“Bye.”

We hung up.


(Jessica’s POV)

“Stop fidgeting… Why are you so nervous?” Kryssie asked.

“I don’t know… I just am…” I replied.

She took my hand and held it in hers.

“What are you doing?” I asked her.

“Have you forgotten that this kind of skinship is common?”

“Oh… right… yeah… Actually I sort of have… because I’m so aware of these feelings…”

“And what feelings are those?” Kryssie asked with a smug expression.

“Butterflies… sometimes electricity… both make my heart race…”

“Oh, Jessie… You’re such a romantic and you don’t even know it…”

“I feel it whenever you’re around… Even back when we were-“

“Hey, beautiful Jung sisters!” a somewhat loud and cheerful voice cut me off. It was Yoona.

“Hi, unni!” Kryssie bowed politely.

I nodded slightly. “Hi, Yoona-shi.”

“You two are looking lovely yet again, especially you Kryssie…”

“I like to dress up for the theatre,” Kryssie responded.

“Me too,” Yoona smiled. “You’re in for a treat. We’ve got balcony seats.”

“I’m so excited. I’ve been wanting to see this musical…”

“Me too!” Yoona grabbed Kryssie’s hands and they started hopping up and down like fangirls.

They were like two peas in a pod. It was so weird. Like being in the twilight zone where I wasn’t sure who was the real Kryssie…

As I watched them become best buddies, everything moved in slow motion. In a way, I zoned out… I was looking at them but I heard nothing and I wasn’t even sure what they were up to. It was the strangest sensation.

Then I saw Kryssie turn to me and mouthed something. Then she turned back to Yoona and linked her arm around Yoona’s and they walked merrily into the theatre to find our seats.

I just followed them in.

Even after we took our seats, the two of them were still happily engaged in their conversation. Kryssie sat in between Yoona and me.

“And Jessie thought this was going to be awkward…” Kryssie laughed as she told Yoona.

What the heck is going on? Are they like best friends now?

It didn’t really make sense but I could feel a pang of jealousy starting to creep into me.

“Oh really? Why would you think that, Jessica-shi?”

“Uhm… I-I don’t know… I just thought that since we don’t really know each other that well… and you’re offering us tickets that your company gave you…” I babbled.

“It’s because you’re so upfront about your crush on her…” Kryssie said without even batting an eyelash.

What the heck, Kryssie?!

Yoona laughed. “Oh, that… Yes, well, I am very attracted to you Jessica-shi but I can’t force someone to like me back if they don’t… Although, I’m very patient and persistent.”

Kryssie chuckled.

“Yah! Why are you finding this so amusing…? You’re making trouble for me!” I whispered in Kryssie’s ear.

“Okay, you’re right… I’m sorry. I’ll stop,” she whispered back.

“Hey, if you don’t mind me asking… I’m really curious, why is it that you call your sister Jessie and not unni?”

It was always the one question that everyone who was new to us asked.

“Jessie doesn’t like me calling her unni… She thinks it’s too formal. We’re not that kind of siblings…” Kryssie explained.

“I just think it creates a barrier…” I told Yoona.

“Ahhh… I see… I guess that’s why you two are so close…” she nodded.

Kryssie and I turned to look at each other.

I gave her a “stop being a nuisance” look while she replied by sticking her tongue out at me.

“Well anyway, Jessica-shi… I just want us to get to know each other better… even if you do not feel the same about me,” she smiled.

Oh gosh! Why is she so nice? Seriously, is she even human?

“Well… I think you’re a very nice person, Yoona-shi, it’s just that-“

“Oh, it’s starting…” Kryssie interrupted.

Why does everyone keep cutting me off today?!

I just sighed and turned my attention to the stage.

Kryssie and Yoona were definitely enjoying the show more than I was… Honestly, during the entire show, my head was preoccupied with other thoughts… most of which were just irrelavent nonsense that I wasn’t even sure why I was thinking about it.

And then there was Kryssie… and the fact that she was turning 20 soon… She was becoming an adult… The day I was hoping that I would be stop seeing her as my baby sister. I wanted to do something special for her but I wasn’t sure what. I thought about taking a trip but her exams were around the same time and so was the due day for our proposal for the project. So that idea was out.

Was there anything other than just the typical lavish dinner and present? I wasn’t sure… I was definitely planning on giving her the three traditional coming-of-age gifts: roses, perfume, and a kiss, although I’ve given her so many kisses now, I wasn’t sure how that would mean something special to her.

Was I thinking too much into it? Is it even that big of a deal? It wouldn’t make a difference to our relationship… Still it was the first birthday that would be celebrated between us since becoming a couple and it was her 20th… It HAD to be special…

As these thoughts ran through my head, I suddenly realized that one of my hands wasn’t empty anymore. I looked down and there it was; Kryssie’s hand in mine. I wanted to let go for fear of being caught but she had her fingers interwined with mine.

Ah, to hell with other people…

I didn’t care anymore… it had to happen sooner or later; I needed to stop worrying about it.

So I tightened my grip on her hand.

She didn’t even flinch nor gave any visible reaction. Instead, she just gently brushed my hand with her thumb, causing a smile to break across my face like an idiot.

And just like that, we sat through the rest of the show…

“So, did you enjoy the show?” Yoona asked when the light came on again.

Kryssie and I let go of each other’s hands only to get up off out seats.

“It was pretty good!” Kryssie replied.

“I enjoyed it…” I told her even though I had missed the majority of the show due to my over-active brain.

“I’m glad.”

As we were exiting the auditorium, Yoona suddenly turned to us. “Hey, I spotted a friend of mine. I’m going to go say hi.”

“Oh, I think I forgot something at my seat. We’ll meet you at the entrance,” I told her.

“Yeah, okay,” she replied and headed off to try and catch her friend.

“Whay did you forget? You didn’t bring anything with you…” Kryssie asked, confused.

I didn’t answer her and just pulled her back into the auditorium that was empty now. I looked around to double check and then pushed her up against the wall.

“I forgot this…” I said then I closed the gap between us for a kiss.

“Jess…mmm… arrr… mmm…” Kryssie said something incomprehensible.

I pulled back. “Shhh! Just one minute…” I said. Then I quickly put my lips back on hers before she could protest or say something else.

In that minute, I had decided to let my impulses take over and forget about caution. We could have been so easily caught but we weren’t. And even if we did, I didn’t care. I was feeling fearless.

Just as quickly as it had started, our make-out session ended.

“What was that about…?” Kryssie asked, slightly out of breath.

“Stop flirting with her…” I told her.

“Maybe I should flirt more often…” she smirked.

“Aish! You rascal!” I gave her one last peck on the lips before we headed back out to meet Yoona.

I was still holding Kryssie’s hand.

“Did you find what you were looking for?” Yoona asked when we met up with her again.

“Yup,” I answered.

Kryssie grinned.

“Cool. Are you girls feeling hungry?”

“Uhm… yeah… We could eat…” I answered.

“Excellent. Let’s go grab a bite together then, shall we?”

“Sounds good,” Kryssie replied.

We headed out of the theatre.

Kryssie playfully linked arms with Yoona while I still had her other hand in mine. This time… I wasn’t jealous at all…

This was the good thing about living in a country where skinship between people of the same gender was common. Nobody cared if you were holding hands with your sister while she had her arm around another girl…

We should really do this more often…