Dinner at the Jungs

Entangled

(Tiffany’s POV)

As I had predicted, work ended early and we headed straight for the grocery to pick up ingredients to make dinner. Actually even if we had more work to do I would have just left it for tomorrow. That’s the advantage of being your own boss. Jess wanted to make kimchi dokkeumbab and doenjang jjigae. Sounded simple enough; it shouldn’t be too big of a problem. Honestly, cooking wasn’t my strong suit either that’s why I preferred not to do it.

“Okay so we need onion, garlic, tofu, zucchini, dried anchovies, dried kelp, green chili, large green onion, sliced beef… oh and canned tuna,” she listed.

“Sliced beef? Canned tuna? What are those for?” I wondered. Those were not the typical ingredients for what she wanted to make.

“Kryssie likes beef so I’ll put a little bit of that in the jjigae and the tuna is for the dokkeumbab,” she said without any hesitation.

“What?! Tuna in kimchi bokkeumbab? That’s unheard of…” I said skeptically.

“That’s how my mom always makes it… Trust me it’s good.”

Well it was her dinner so I let her decide. We made our way through the list quickly and headed to her house.

I was no stranger to her home. Jess and I have known each other for about 5 years now. We met in college and I used to come over to her place to work on assignments together. When we graduated, I decided to start my own firm and when she needed a job, I didn’t have the heart to say no. We’ve done quite well for ourselves though. She wasn’t always the most focused but she was really good in sticky situations and she always had great ideas that the clients seemed to like, so I was happy.

“Kryssie will be back in about 3 hours, so let’s shoot for dinner at 7,” she told me.

I nodded. “Got it. Just tell me whatever you need me to do…”

We were both just as clueless about cooking.

“Uhm… you can start cutting the vegetables for the jjigae while I get a pot of rice on. The rice needs to cool a little before I can use it.”

“Wow, Jess! I didn’t think you had this side to you,” I said, admiring her culinary knowledge.

“Yeah… don’t be too excited… It’s just some little things I picked up from my mom. As for the cooking itself… fingers crossed. I really want to make something good for Kryssie for once.”

She had a determination in her eyes that I’ve only seen a few times since I’ve known her. Something has definitely come over her because this dinner seemed like a life or death situation from the way she was going about things. I actually found it really attractive on her.

She prepped as quickly as she could while still trying to keep everything perfect. Everything was cut cleanly and precisely. Once all the ingredients were ready. She assembled the jjigae first, since it would hold. The plan was to wait until the last minute to make the bokkeumbab. That way it would taste the best.

Amazingly, she even had some time to clean and tidy up around the house. Seriously, I had never seen her like this before; I really didn’t think she had it in her. It was making me like her even more than I already did.

Right about 6.30, everything was done and ready except for the bokkeumbab of course. It was just in time because right then we heard the front door open.

“I’m home… Jessie, you in?” Krystal yelled.

“Yes, I’m home. You’re right on time,” Jess called back.

“Right on time for what?” she asked as she turned the corner. “Oh, Tiffany unni, you’re here,” she smiled and bowed politely when she saw me.

I returned the greeting with a nod.

“Uhm, I hope you don’t mind but your sister invited me over to have dinner with you two,” I told her.

“Oh, you made dinner too? Jessie, wae geurae?” Krystal asked in surprise.

“Why? Can’t I do something nice for my baby sis? I promise it’s better than breakfast. I swear!” Jess exclaimed.

Krystal peered over the counter to see what Jess had made. “So what’s for dinner?”

“Why don’t you put your stuff down and freshen up. There’s still one last thing I need to make. When you come back out, dinner should be ready,” Jess told Krystal gleefully.

“Mmm… Okay…”

Jess finished up the bokkeumbab while I set the table. The food actually looked good, even though I hadn’t actually tasted it yet.

“Dinner’s ready!” Jess shouted, calling out for Krystal.

“Wow, Jessie! This is impressive! How did you manage to turn into a good cook in just a few hours?” Krystal teased.

I could see that Jess started to blush.

“I knew it! You hated breakfast didn’t you?! Why did you finish it when it tasted bad?”

“Well… because you went through all that trouble…” Krystal replied shyly.

My siblings and I have a great relationship but compared to these two, it was nothing. Jess and Krystal have always been the inextricable pair. Jess was always very affectionate towards Krystal and even though Krystal pretends not to like it, I knew that she adored her sister too. If you didn’t know they were sisters, you would think that they were an item, especially since they looked nothing alike. Sometimes I was a little jealous of their close relationship; Jess would drop everything if she knew that Krystal needed her.

“Babo, next time just tell me it . I’m not delusional about my cooking skills. I know I can't cook,” Jess said to her. “Anyway, let’s eat. The food’s getting cold as we speak.”

We sat down; Jess next to Krystal and I across from Jess, and we braced ourselves. Krystal and I both took a sip of the jjigae and we gave each other amazed looks. Then we both took a spoonful of the bokkeumbab and our eyes widened in more amazement.

“So… how is it?” Jess asked in anticipation.

“Uhm… I don’t know how to tell you this Jessie, but since you told me to tell you the truth… I’m sorry but the jjigae is totally bland…” Krystal started.

“… And the bokkeumbab is way too salty!” I finished.

“WHAT?! Really?! But… but… I tasted everything… Oh no… I was so hopeful…” she said in full panic as she started tasting the food again.

Krystal and I turned to each other and burst out laughing.

“Gotcha!” I shouted.

“We’re just pulling your leg, Jessie. The food is amazing! I’m so surprised and delighted!” Krystal chuckled.

“Yeah, Jess… I’m so impressed. I can’t believe you made this!” I told her in awe.

Jess froze for a second as she slowly comprehended what just happened. She narrowed her eyes.

“Outrageous! You two ganging up on me…? Why you rascal!” she slapped Krystal on the arm repeatedly.

“Oww… oww… oww… Stop, Jessie, I’m sorry! It’s just a joke. The food is delicious. I love it. You’re the best sister in the world,” Krystal blurted in attempt to stop the abuse.

“Really? You’re not lying this time?” she asked like a child.

“Really, Jessie. Cross my heart,” Krystal said. She gestured crossing her heart and gave her sister a hug.

“If that’s the case, you two better finish all the food!” Jess responded sternly but jokingly.

“With pleasure,” I smiled.

We demolished the food like we hadn’t eaten in days. I think that it being Jess’s first successful meal made it all the more appetizing. We didn’t know when the next time this would happen again; it might be a fluke.

Since Jess made dinner, Krystal and I decided that we should clean up while Jess took a well deserved break.

“So, how are you dealing with your parents being away?” I asked Krystal.

“To be honest, I really miss them but other than that, it’s not too bad. Everything is just about the same…” she told me.

“And Jess? It must be difficult for you to have to worry about her.”

“I worry about her anyway even if my parents were around. It’s a force of habit. But it isn’t that bad… When it comes down to it, she can take care of herself too. She proved it today…” Krystal concluded.

The way she spoke really made her sound so mature. She was calm, cool-headed, and rational. I just couldn’t get over how different she and Jess were.

“She did, didn’t she…? Well if you need anything you can call me any time. I can hold her down while you beat her up…” I joked.

Krystal laughed. “Thanks, unni.”

“What are you two laughing about over there?” hollered Jess from the living room.

“None of your concern, Jess… I’m having a moment with your sister,” I bellowed back.

“Hey, don’t be trying to steal my sister now. She’s the only one I have and she’s mine!"

“We’ll see about that… Krystal and I get along like peas and carrots, right, Krys?”

Krystal chortled.

“Oh yeah?! Over my dead body…”

We all started laughing. It actually turned out to be a really fun night.

“I should get to studying. I’ll be in my room,” Krystal told Jess. “Tiffany, unni. It was fun having you over for dinner. You can come over any time,” she winked, making sure that Jessica saw her. Then she entered her room while giggling.

“Well, it seemed like your sister likes having me around…” I teased.

Jess crossed her arms and frowned at me. “Don’t get too chummy, otherwise you won’t be coming over anymore.”

“Alright… alright…” It was so easy pushing her buttons and she was so cute when she was jealous.

We settled in the living room to watch some television while we chatted until we were both tired.

“It’s getting late. I think I’ll get going,” I told Jess. “I’ll go say bye to Krystal first.”

I knocked on Krystal’s bedroom door and opened it. “Krystal, I’m heading off. I’ll see you soon. Remember what I told you… offer stands.”

“Take care, unni. Come back soon.” She gave me a goodbye hug.

“Ahem…” Jess cleared loudly so that we could hear her. “I saw that…”

I walked back towards her.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Jess. Don’t be too jealous now…” I gave her a quick hug. “Bye, you two. Behave!” I shouted as I left.


(Jessica’s POV)

“I didn’t realize that you and Tiff were on such good terms. Maybe next time I should leave you two alone,” I said to Kryssie after Tiff left.

I wasn’t jealous, I was just surprised, that’s all.

“We were just joking around, Jessie. Why are you so jealous?” she asked.

“I’m NOT jealous! I just didn’t realize that you two got along so well…”

She set her arms on my shoulders. “Don’t worry, Jessie. No one will ever steal me away from you.”

“Well… You’ll have to leave me one day…” I sighed.

“What? Why?”

“When you get married, silly…” I tapped her on the forehead lightly.

“Oh… right…” She suddenly looked gloomy.

I grinned and wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her into a hug. “You don’t have to worry either. You will always be the most important person to me…”

 

 

 

 

 


Jessica cooking for Krystal...