Enigma

Entangled

(Tiffany’s POV)

I couldn’t get what Jess said out of my head.

“Would you rather spend your entire life wondering “what if” and watch her eventually end up with someone else? You were brave enough to confess to me… why not Taeyeon?”

Honestly, I don’t know why but I am so much more afraid of my feelings for Taeyeon than what I had for Jess. I just never thought of Taeyeon that way… but now… I’m afraid I might already be in deeper than I even realize. When I thought about all our times and memories together, I don’t know how I’ve never realized how happy we were together, and when she wasn’t around, how miserable I was. Her presence was always so comforting and she was always so supportive of me. She was the best best friend anyone could ask for.

I still remember the way we met so vividly. This cute little, dark-haired, pale-skinned tomboy who was standing up to a bully bigger than her even though it wasn’t her who was being bullied just because she couldn’t stand the injustice.

It was like a scene out of a movie. She bumped into me while I was just minding my own business and fell on top of me. When she helped me up, I lost my balance and fell into her arms. Come to think of it, we had a little awkward moment as we made eye contact while I tried to regain steadiness. But before I could do or say anything she dragged me behind a bush and covered my mouth with her hand. Everything happened so fast that I couldn’t process it until the bully left and she explained what happened.

I thought she was really admirable, even though she was a little reckless. I had never really met anyone who would risk their neck for something like that. Even at 13, she was such a hippie! Ever since that day, I found myself drawn into her world even though we didn’t really have that much in common. And somehow, we became best friends.

Over the years, she became my constant companion and trusted advisor, my go to for everything, the one person in the world I could rely on… the one person I couldn’t live without…!

Oh. My. God! She’s the one person I couldn’t live without…

She’s the one person I couldn’t live without! I needed to hear myself say that just a few more times before I could even begin comprehending the gravity of the situation.

Why have you never realized this before, you idiot?! You’re in love with your best friend and you don’t even know it?! What am I supposed to do now?!

The glass has shattered and there was no undoing it…

And just my luck, I heard the front door open… I knew it was Taeyeon arriving home from her dinner with Krystal… I didn’t even have time to let it all sink in…

“Fany, you home?” she called out.

“Y-Yeah… I’m in my room…” I called back.

She entered my room and collapsed on my bed.

“So tired…” she yawned. “Did you have a good day?”

“M-Me? Uhm… okay I guess…”

Would have been better if I didn’t have realized that I had feelings for you!

“H-How was dinner?” I asked even though I actually preferred not to know how good of a time she had with Krystal.

I know Jess said that there was nothing going on between Taeyeon and Krystal but Krystal could have just been lying to her since we all knew how jealous Jess can get, and she definitely did not like Krystal hanging out with Taeyeon alone, which was reason enough for me to believe that there was definitely something going on.

“The little one is a handful… she has SO MANY questions… all the time…” she replied.

“Seems like you two are getting pretty close, huh?”

“Mmmm… yeah… Is it weird for me to have a connection with someone 5 years younger than me?”

Oh God! I really don’t want to hear this!

“Uhm… I guess not. You can’t help who you connect with. I mean, look at us…” I said.

“True that! On paper, you and I don’t really have that much in common… But I think we make a good pair, don’t we…?” she agreed.

We do make a great pair! So great that I think we belong together…

I really wanted to tell her that but that would be insane.

“Taeyeonie, I want to ask you something and I want your honest opinion…” I told her.

“Of course…!”

“Do you think it's possible for two people who have been friends for a long time to get together?” I asked, hoping that she might give me some hopeful sign that I might have a chance.

She just stared at me for a long time before answering. “What do you mean…?”

“Do you think that two people could get out of the friend zone?”

“I honestly don’t know… Maybe if both felt the same…”

“So you think it’s possible?!”

“Yes but if they felt the same then they would have gotten together before, no?”

“What if they were just unaware or things were different or they were scared…? If it was you would you tell someone you liked them even though you’ve been friends for years?”

“I-I’m sorry Fany, I can’t give you an answer on that…”

“Why…?”

“I want to say yes when in fact my real answer would be no…”

“So you think it’s better to just leave it be?”

“Like I said… if it was meant to be it would have happened before… If years had already passed, it obviously means that there’s no hope…”

I was completely disheartened. There was no hope left for me…

“I’m sorry Fany, I’m really tired… I’m going to bed…” she said abruptly and left without another word.

I heard her slam her room door which was totally uncharacteristic of her. I must have obviously upset her with my talk of nonsense.


(Taeyeon’s POV)

I slammed my room door closed in frustration.

Why is she asking all these questions now?! Is she talking about Sica?! Is she talking about Krystal?! Whoever it was I didn’t want to know! If it was one of the Jung sisters… what I told her was to save her from unnecessary heartache. I didn’t want her to get hurt from confessing to someone who was already head-over-heels for someone else. It was better for her to just give it up and move one…

I’m sorry Fany… It was for your own good…

I should know… She doesn’t even realize that I was in the same situation. She doesn’t even know how much it breaks my heart every time she looks at me with her beautiful eyes only for me to know that they would only ever see me as a friend.

Tears began trickling down my cheeks. It made me even more frustrated because I’ve tried so hard to convince myself that I was over her… over and over again… So why do I still feel this way?!

I buried my face in my pillow.

Stop it Taeyeon! Get a hold of yourself!

But I couldn’t… and I was so tired that I basically cried myself to sleep…


(Jessica’s POV)

“Jess… I’m giving up… There’s no hope for Taeyeon and me…” Tiff told me the moment I got settle into work the next day.

“What?! Why?! No! You shouldn’t give up…” I told her.

“No! It’s not going to work… I tested the water yesterday and it was pretty clear that she wasn’t in the same boat as me…” she said.

No, no, no! Not yet… we haven’t even executed our plan yet… Dammit!

“That’s impossible!” I blurted out then immediately slapped my hand over my mouth when it became clear that I shouldn’t have said it.

She gave me a suspicious look. “What are you saying, Jess?! You know something don’t you?!”

I looked at her with guilt.

I’m sorry Kryssie… I’m going to have to improvise…

“I know for a fact that Taeyeon still has feelings for you…” I said as fast as I could hoping she won’t catch what I said.

“WHAT?!” she exclaimed loudly, her voice echoing throughout the room. “What do you mean STILL?” She stood up from her chair in disbelief.

Oh dammit! Jessica, you could have left that part out, you idiot!

“Uhm… You’re not supposed to know this…”

“Know what?! Jessica Jung Sooyeon! You better tell me everything you know NOW, OR ELSE…!”

I was in over my head at this point… I had no choice…

“Taeyeon’s had feelings for you since you two first met… but she’s now convinced that you two are stuck in the friend zone forever… She’s in denial! She’s convinced herself that she’s over you but I know that she isn’t.”

“WHAT?! How do you know this?!”

“Uhm… she told me…”

I don’t know why I even lied about that but I had to go along with it now…

She collapsed back onto her chair.

“T-This is… This is… This i-is… IMPOSSIBLE!” she said to herself as she sank into a contemplative state. She started pulling on her hair.

“Uhm… I know it’s hard to believe it but I swear… it’s the truth Tiff! So you see… you can’t give up now!”

She then turned towards me and gave me a death glare.

“How long have you known about this, Jessica Jung?!”

“I-I j-just f-found out r-recently… I s-swear!” I stuttered. She was really starting to scare me.

She withdrew back into her thoughts.

“Why hasn’t she said anything all this time…?”

“She was afraid… then after awhile she thought it was too late. After that she convinced herself she was over you…”

“Babo…!” she said softly. “But what about her and Krystal? Is there really nothing going on there?” she asked me.

Oh crap! What should I say?

“Uhm… that’s why I don’t like them being together… because I know she’s just using Kryssie to get over you…”

This lie was snowballing… It was getting out of control!

“Jess! You have to help me!”

“Oh… uhm… how…?” I was really afraid of where this was going…

“I have to get Taeyeon back… not that she was ever mine… But I HAVE TO get her out of her denial!”

“W-What exactly d-do y-you want m-me to do?”

“Jess… will you pretend to be my girlfriend?!” she said with determination in her eyes.

Oh no! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?! I blame this on you, Krystal Jung Soojung!

“Can I say no?” I asked but I already knew the answer…

“NO! Besides, you should want this too… You don’t want Krystal to get hurt do you?”

“I-I guess not…”

“Good! That’s settled!”

Help! Someone