Test Results

Entangled

(Jessica’s POV)

I was unable to hold back my jealousy when I saw the way Kryssie was with Taeyeon. I should be happy that she was over me but I felt like I would be losing my baby sister to someone else. It broke my heart just thinking about it. It was selfish of me but I didn’t want to give her up.

She’s my one and only sister! She’s mine!

Our argument got heated really quickly and I couldn’t stand it so I decided to leave when I heard her cry out in pain. I turned to see what happened and realized that she had tugged on her IV tube as she tried to stop me.

I felt guilty that I had let my selfish feelings get the better of me but she let it slide.

“I think my being sick has just caused you to stress out. You need to calm down, Jessie… Everything is going to be alright…” she said as she tried to comfort me with a hug.

“I should be the one comforting you… not the other way…” I said to her in a quiet voice.

“I don’t care… I only care about you…”

I cupped her face. “You’ll feel differently when you find someone you like… I guess that’s why I was acting so crazy…” I admitted.

“Jessie… no one can ever take your place… You’ll always be the most important person…”

She looked a little strange as she said that. The conversation was heading in a very touchy direction.

Oh no! Don’t confess… Don’t say it!

 “Jessie… I…” she started.

My head was in a panic wondering how I should react if she did confess while my heart was running on adrenaline. But then, she suddenly collapsed into my arms.

Ohmigod! Kryssie!

Now I was really in a panic!

“Kryssie! Kryssie! Wake up!” I shouted trying to get a response. There was nothing.

What happened?!

I reached over the bed and hit the button to call for assistance.

The nurse came in quickly and saw Kryssie slumped over me.

“What happened?” she asked as she helped me get Kryssie back into bed.

“I-I don’t know… S-She just… she just collapsed,” I told her.

“I’ll go get the doctor immediately.”

Dr. Song rushed over and checked on Kryssie.

“Tell me, what was she doing before she collapsed?”

She was about to confess…! I think…

“W-we were arguing about something…” I told the doctor.

“Hmmm… no wonder… She’ll be fine. She just passed out from exhaustion. She’s not completely recovered yet; her body is still weak. So try not to excite her too much because she doesn’t have enough energy,” said Dr. Song.

I let out a sigh of relief. “Oh, thank goodness!” I clutched my chest hoping to calm it down.

“I don’t know what you two were arguing about but I suggest you try to hold off any more arguments for awhile.”

I nodded. “Yes, doctor. I understand.”

“I will be back later with your test results once I get them.”

“Thank you.”

I’m so sorry Kryssie… I didn’t mean to do this to you…

I felt guilty that I was the reason that she passed out again… She exhausted all her energy arguing with me over something so stupid. I sat down by her side and held her hand while I her hair.

In a way, I was a little glad that she wasn’t able to finish her sentence. I don’t know what I would have done if she had confessed. It was better for her to just move on… whomever it might be with… Even though we’re genetically unrelated, we were still sisters… by birth and by law. It would be difficult to explain it to most people. It wasn’t just a simple black or white situation. I just didn’t want her to get hurt.

“Jessie…?” she called out softly as she regained consciousness.

“Kryssie! You’re awake! I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry… I’m so glad you’re okay…”

I was so happy that she was alright that I planted multiple kisses on her cheeks and forehead.

“J-Jessie…!” she whined trying to push me off but it only made me hold onto her tightly.

“I was worried that something had happened to you again…” I told her. “But it turns out that you were just exhausted from arguing with me. So don’t fight anymore, okay…?”

She looked at me like I was crazy but we had already established that I was crazy.

“I’m sorry I keep making you worry like this…” she said to me.

“I think we’ve had enough shock, surprises, arguments, apologies and worries for today… Let’s not have any more.”

“I don’t think that’s possible with the Jung sisters… We have too much passion…” she laughed.

I was never so happy to hear her laugh. It was a sign that she was definitely okay if she could still joke.

“Jessie… I-“

“Shhh! Didn’t I just say no more…” I shushed her.

“Oh, no you didn’t just shush me!” She gave me a dirty look.

“You can yell at me when you’re all recovered. But for now you need to just be a good girl and rest, okay?”

I’ve said that to her so many times now, I started to sound like a broken record.

“Geez… I was just going to say that I feel really hungry… I hadn’t eaten any since last night and even then I didn’t finish the ramen I was having… so now I’m starving…”

I laughed nervously from embarrassment. “Oh… right… I’ll go get you something to eat then… What would you like?”

“At this point… anything…” she answered.

“Oh, okay then… I’ll be right back.”

I made a quick trip to a store nearby to pick up some things for her but when I got back, she was sound asleep again.

Good… Rest Kryssie… I want you back home soon…

As she slept, I thought about how much drama I’d gotten myself into since mom and dad left. Maybe I wasn’t ready to be left home alone with Kryssie after all. Honestly, when I first found out about mom and dad leaving, I didn’t know what to feel. I had overheard the conversation between mom and dad talking about their plans and when they would break the news to us. Were they really leaving me to take care of Kryssie? I wasn’t sure if I would actually be able to rise to the occasion considering how Kryssie and I weren’t as close as we used to be when we were kids. However, the past few weeks had really brought us back together, although not entirely in the way we used to be. Ever since I found out the truth about Kryssie and me, I was afraid that she wouldn’t think of me the same way anymore, but I had never expected for this. I don’t even know how this could have happened. When exactly did she start feeling this way? I know it’s difficult for her but does she even know how difficult it is for me too? My heart has been aching ever since that night she drunk confessed. At first, I was worried about how to make it so she could get over me… but now… I think I’m afraid that she might actually get over me.

What are you saying Jessica? Don’t you want your baby sister to get over her feelings for you?

I stared at Kryssie’s beautiful face as she slept while I contemplated my own feelings. I had always thought that she was the prettier one, especially when she was sleeping. She just looks so adorable when she’s sleeping. I started scanning each feature of her face and then I was fixed on her lips.

Twice now she’s kissed me… It didn’t count when we were kids but… that night…

Just the thought of Kryssie’s lips on mine caused the beating of my heart to speed up.

Jessica, why are you feeling like this!

I reached out my hand to caress her face but I hesitated. I thought again about what I would do if she actually confessed again.

I reached out my hand again and this time I laid it on her cheek.

Please don’t confess again Kryssie… It’s not that I don’t want you to get hurt... It’s just…I might not have the strength to say no.

As the thought occurred to me… I started to freak out.

No… This is NOT happening… I can’t feel like this… I WON’T feel like this!

I ran out of the room. I was afraid to look at her any longer. But it was too late…

Dugeun… dugeun…

My heart was beating uncontrollably now. I had finally come to a realization…

Jessica Jung… You have feelings for you sister too…!

I tried to shake it off… Maybe this whole situation was throwing me for a loop. But no… it was undeniable. All this time… what I thought was just sisterly affection was something more…

I rubbed my head in frustration.

Ugh! Dammit, Jessica! This is what happens when you do too much thinking! You should have just let it be… You should have just ignored it… Now there’s no escaping it…!

“Ah, Ms. Jung,” came a familiar voice interrupting my own thoughts.

I looked up and Dr. Song was standing in front of me.

“Oh, Dr. Song, it’s you,” I greeted.

“Yes, I got the test results back early so I decided to come and give you some good news.”

Yes… I could do with some good news right now!

“It turns out that your sister’s condition isn’t anything too serious. It was just an infection. We’ll still have to put her on some steroids to help raise her white blood cell count back to normal and antibiotics for the infection but other than that, she’s free to go home once she’s ready.”

It was definitely good news. I was so relieved.

“Thank you Dr. Song!”

“Your blood test came back clean as well, so you’re good.”

I nodded.

“Okay, I’ll tell the nurse to get the medication ready and you can fill out the discharge papers.”

“Thanks again.”

“No problem. If you need anything else just let me know. I hope I don’t have to see you girls here again.”

Even though it was the best news I’ve gotten in the past 24 hours… It made a little nervous. I was still thinking about my new found revelation...

How am I supposed to be alone with her now…?!