Sister Knows Best

Entangled

(Tiffany’s POV)

“So, are you okay about tomorrow?” I asked referring to the fact that tomorrow was Saturday and Krystal was going to go to that trance party with her friends.

She sighed and slammed her head on the desk, making a loud thud.

“Ugh… I hate it! I really, really wish she wouldn’t go… but I don’t want her to hate me…”

“Oh sweetie, you can’t have both,” I told her and patted her head. “You really hate it that much, huh?”

“Let’s just say that if I could, I would totally tie her up and lock her in her room,” she said.

I knew she was just being hypothetical but the look in her eye was just a little too scary.

“You want me to come over and lend you some support?”

“Why don’t you just kill me now and get it over with…”

I laughed, she didn’t like the idea but she still had her sense of humor.

“I’m definitely coming over… to make sure you don’t do anything stupid,” I told her.

“Of all the rebellious things to do… Can’t she just dye her hair pink or something like that? Something I don’t need to worry about?”

“You’re such a drama queen, Jess. She’s not rebelling; she just wants to have some fun…”

“Can’t she just have fun with me instead…?”

“You can’t expect her to be the little sister who clings to you, forever. Besides, you’re not that fun…”

“Oh, no you didn’t just say that!” She slapped me on the arm. “Then, why are you always hanging around me?”

Checkmate, I was trapped.

“I was just kidding…!” I played it off.

Obviously, I want to be around you because I like you.

But I couldn’t tell her that.

“I wish mom and dad were here, maybe then they would be able to keep her from going…”


(The next day…)

(Taeyeon’s POV)

“Wake up, sleepy head!” I heard Fany call.

It was Saturday and I had no plans except for staying in bed for as long as possible.

“What do you want…? It’s too early… just let me sleep in…” I said groggily. I still had my eyes shut and I pulled my covers over my head.

She yanked the cover off of me leaving me feeling exposed. So I did the only natural thing… I pulled her into bed with me and I hugged her tightly.

“Yah! What are you doing?” She struggled a little but she didn’t really put up much of a fight.

“It’s Saturday, Fany-ah… Why do you need to get up so early? Just go back to sleep…” I told her as I snuggled up to her.

“I’m restless! Let’s go do something…” she whined but I could tell she was starting to give into my suggestion of going back to sleep. She tucked her arms in and let me wrap my arms around her.

“Mmmm… Well, what do you want to do?” I asked. If she suggested something interesting, I might be tempted enough to get up.

“I don’t know… I forget…” she mumbled as she started to doze off.

“Good… then just go back to sleep…”

“Oh, I remember now… Let’s go to the Trick Eye Museum… I heard it’s really fun!”

“It’s still early though… One more hour… then we can get up,” I suggested.

“Hmmm… okay…”

And we both drifted off back to sleep.

We eventually woke up and made our way to the Trick Eye Museum in Hongdae.

Just as most others who have visited the museum did, we had the most enjoyable time making funny poses and taking pictures that made us look like we were part of the exhibit. It was nothing like I had ever experienced. It took art into a whole new dimension, enabling the viewers to participate in the art itself. Fany and I found ourselves running through the museum like little kids. It had been a long time since we did something fun like this together.

“I missed this…” I told her.

“I know! I’m so glad you’re back. A year without you is too long,” she said as she linked her arm around mine.

Honestly, it was quite unbearable for me too. That was why I called or texted or video chatted with her almost every day. It was a difficult decision for me when I was offered the scholarship to do an exchange in Europe. She meant everything to me but the fact that I was only her best friend, I couldn’t give myself a reason not to go. If we were dating, it would have been a different story. I wouldn’t have been able to be apart from her.

“Tell me the truth… Did you miss me while I was gone?” I asked her.

“Do you really need to ask?” she responded.

“You never came to visit me though…” I said.

“Fine… I missed you this much…” she said as she pulled me into her arms and held me so tightly that I could almost feel her heartbeat.

“Owww…” I pretended to complain.

She let go of me and slapped me playfully on the back. “Seriously though, I only let you go because it was only for a year. If it was anything longer, I would have hidden your passport away somewhere…”

I wasn’t sure if she really meant it or if she was just saying it because it was what I wanted to hear. Either way, I chuckled.

“If it was longer than a year, I wouldn’t have gone either…” I told her.

“No way… You wouldn’t have given up on your dream. It’s the most important thing to you.”

Not as important as you.

“I don’t think I could be away from home that long…”

“I don’t know… I don’t think anything can make me give up on my dream…”

Fany was always very career driven. She started her own firm right off the bat after graduation which is something very gutsy. Not everyone was able to do it and she has managed to do pretty well for herself considering that it had only been a year. Me, I was more driven by my heart. Whatever felt right to me was the right decision.

“I know that’s why you couldn’t come visit me… You were busy with your work,” I acknowledged.

“Yeah, sorry about that. I needed to hold down the firm and make it through the first year. I really wanted to visit you though. I’ve always wanted to see Paris.”

“Let’s go back together one day,” I suggested.

“For sure! We have to!”

“We’ll backpack across Europe… There are so many places I want to see and Europe is rich in art history…”

“You and your art… Aigoo…” she rubbed my cheeks like I was a child.

“Speaking of which… Do you want to come with me and Krystal next week?” I asked.

“No, unfortunately I can’t… I’m going home to visit my family. I haven’t seen them in awhile.”

“That’s too bad… Krystal told me that Jessica will be tagging along and I feel like I need a buffer.” I was still a little uncomfortable around Jessica.

“You’re just being paranoid. Krystal’s there to be your buffer…”

“I hope so… Anyway, do you want to grab a bite before heading home?”

“Oh… I forgot to tell you… I’m heading over to Jess’s after this…”

“Oh, really…? Why?” I was very disappointed. I wanted to spend more time with her. I know that might seem strange considering I lived with her but she saw Jessica every day too.

“She has sister issues… She needs my support.”

“Sister issues…? What’s that?”

“It’s a long story… Basically Jess can’t seem to grasp the fact that Krystal is an adult now…”

“I think I get it… I hadn’t seen my baby sister in a year and after I got home she changed so much but I still think of her the way she was before I left. You’re the maknae, you won’t get it. You and Krystal are in the same situation.”

“Yeah, that’s why I’m helping Jess get through this… I’ve already gotten all the same treatment from my sister…”

“Well, then do you want to grab a quick bite now. You can bring something over for Jessica after,” I suggested.

“Good idea. Let’s do that…”


(Later that night at the Jungs’...)

(Jessica’s POV)

“Kryssie, are you really wearing that?!” I said to Kryssie when I saw the outfit she was planning to wear for the party.  It was a crop top that showed her midriff and a mini pleated skirt that I thought was way too short.

“Please don’t start, Jessie… Haven’t we already been through this?” she said in annoyance.

“I-I’m just worried that you might feel cold…” I made up a ridiculous excuse.

“Oh really…? Have you seen the weather forecast for tonight? It’s going to be hot…”

I knew she wouldn’t buy it. Kryssie was way too smart; the smarter of the two of us.

“Fine, you got me… But the skirt is way too short!” I exclaimed.

“Okay… okay… I’ll change…”

When she came back, she was wearing a pair of short denim shorts. It was just as horrifying to me…

I sighed. “Is there any chance I can convince you to change again?”

She put her hand on my head and patted my hair gently. “No, Jessie. This is what I’m wearing…”

Sometimes I really hated the fact that she was taller than me. I tipped toed so that I was now marginally taller than she was.

“So you still haven’t told me who you are going with,” I questioned.

“You wouldn’t know them anyway… It’s just my friends from college…” she insisted.

“How are you getting there?” I still had so many questions.

“Jun Hyun oppa is driving us there.”

“What? Who is this oppa I don’t know about?! How do you know him?”

Why hasn’t she mentioned this guy before?

“He’s in one of my classes…”

“Uhm… So how many of you are going in total?”

“It’s 5 of us… and there’ll be 2 other girls and another guy, okay?” She answered, anticipating my next question. She knew me way too well.

Just then the doorbell rang.

“That must be Tiff,” I told Kryssie.

“What’s Tiffany unni doing here?” Kryssie asked.

“To make sure I don’t kill myself, apparently…” I answered her sarcastically.

“Oh Jessie, why are you treating this as if it’s the end of the world…?”

“Oh I don’t know… maybe because my baby sister wants to do something which I am totally uncomfortable with…” I said as I opened the front door.

“Okay, I’m here. No one needs to kill anyone…” Tiff said as she walked in.

Kryssie chuckled. “Unni, you’re right on time. We may have to sedate Jessie.”

“What’s wrong now…?” Tiff asked unsurprised.

“First she doesn’t like my outfit and now she’s paranoid that I’m going in a group that includes two guys… Next she’ll probably tell me to get home by 10,” Kryssie complained.

“Don’t be silly… 10 is too early of course… You should be home by 12!” I told her.

Tiff slapped her hand over my mouth. “You just enjoy yourself, Krystal… I got this…”

I stared at Tiff with my dirtiest look but she returned with a look equally stern.

Kryssie reached out and caressed my face. “Jessie, I promise that if you just let me have this one night… I won’t go to any more of these… at least not for awhile, okay? I still promise I won’t drink, I DEFINITELY won’t take any drugs, and I won’t do anything you won’t do… I won’t even talk to anyone I don’t know…” She gave me her cutest pout.

I sighed. “I give… If ANYTHING happens… you make sure you text me IMMEDIATELY… okay?!”

She nodded. “Okay. Well, I’m off…”

“What?! Already?! I thought you said that guy was driving you all there?”

“What guy?” Tiff asked.

“I don’t know… some guy from her class who apparently isn’t gentleman enough to come pick her up…” I mocked.

“Aish! That’s not how it is… We’re all meeting at his place first so it’s more convenient,” she justified.

“That makes sense,” Tiff agreed.

“Whatever…” I said. “Take care, okay? Be vigilant!” I kissed her on the cheek.

“I will…” she replied.

“Have fun!” Tiff exclaimed.

And then I watched Kryssie walk out the door.

I sank onto the couch, buried my head into a pillow and screamed into it.

“Feel better?” Tiff asked.

“Marginally…” I replied. “I swear, if that guy touches a hair on Kryssie’s head, I’m going to cut off his balls!”

Tiff nearly fell over laughing. “You’re really scary sometimes, Jess!”

“Only when feeling threatened…”


(Krystal’s POV)

I hope Jessie’s doing alright...

She was really having a hard time with this even though I’ve told her countless times that I had it all under control. The first time in my life I wanted to have some fun and my sister had to get all protective… My mind was stuck on her so much so that I couldn’t even enjoy the party like my friends were.

“Krys, you sure you don’t want a drink?” Jun Hyun oppa asked.

“No, I’m sure…” I had promised Jessie I wouldn’t and even if I hadn’t I didn’t really enjoy drinking that much.

“Oh, come on… You seem so preoccupied… Have a drink, it’ll loosen you up, and then you can enjoy this party...!”

Him and all my other friends were already tipsy and on their way to being drunk.

“I’m sure, oppa. I don’t really like to drink anyway,” I told him.

“If you say so… But you should still loosen up… Here…” He grabbed my hands and tried to make me dance.

It was a little awkward but I decided to go along with it… After awhile, even I got into the music and we were all having a good time.

Just then, Jun Hyun oppa leaned into me and tried to kiss me but being sober I had quicker reflexes than he did and managed to dodge his attempt.

“Oppa, you’re drunk!” I told him.

 He just laughed it off.

I decided to let it be since he didn’t know what he was doing.

A little later, he tried it again.

“Oppa! Stop it! What are you doing?!”

“Come on, Krys… It’s just a little fun…” he tried again.

I pushed him away. “No, oppa! Stop it!”

“Don’t be such a tease, Krys. I know you want it… Look at what you’re wearing… you’re hot!” He grabbed hold of my arms and forced himself on me again.

I struggled hard and finally had no choice but to kick him in the shins.

He let out a loud cry and let go of me, flinching in pain.

“You’re being a , oppa! But I won’t hold it against you since you’re drunk but I’m not staying any longer. I’m leaving now!” I shouted at him and then left. All my other friends were too drunk and preoocupied to notice what had happened so I didn’t even bother saying goodbye to them.

I was really annoyed by what had happened. Seriously, all I wanted was one night to enjoy myself but Jun Hyun oppa had to ruin it. Worse thing was that I had to take a cab all the way home since he was my ride. Actually, come to think of it, how was he supposed to drive us all home when he was that drunk?!

When I got home, I shut the front door quietly, not wanting to wake Jessie up. She was probably asleep by now since it was already 1AM. I flicked on the lights and there she was on the couch, in the living room, asleep while sitting up. I walked up to her, bent down and placed my hands gently on her knees. I took a moment to look at her beautiful, peaceful face. She was so cute when she was asleep.

I shook her gently to wake her up, my hands still on her knees. “Jessie, wake up. I’m home…”

“Hmmm…? Oh... Kryssie, you’re back…?” she responded, half asleep.

“Why’d you sleep here? Were you waiting for me?” I asked.

“Wha… what time is it?”

“It’s 1. You should go sleep in your room…” I urged her.

“You’re home early…”

“Mmmm…” I responded unenthusiastically, recalling what had happened in my head.

By now, she was conscious enough to open her eyes and she looked back at me.

“Is something wrong…?” She placed her hands over mine.

“It’s nothing…” I told her

She was unconvinced. “Did something happen?!” I now had her full attention.

I thought I was fine but for some reason my eyes started to tear even without me realizing it.

“Wae geurae?! What happened Kryssie?! Tell me! I know something happened!” she pressed.

“It… It’s nothing… I took care of it…” I tried to hold it in but by now my tears were streaming down my face.

Jessie cupped my face with her hands and wiped away my tears as they were falling.

“Just tell me… Did someone force you to drink or take drugs?”

I shook my head.

“Did someone try to do something to you?”

I nodded.

“Was it that guy?!”

I nodded.

“WHERE IS HE?! I’M GOING TO KILL HIM!” Jessie yelled as she stood up abruptly.

I held her back. “I don’t know… I left without them.”

“Are you alright? Are you hurt?”

“I’m fine… He tried to kiss me so I kicked him and got out of there…” I said calmly but my tears were still streaming uncontrollably. I guess my body was feeling one thing while my head was trying to be rational.

Jessie pulled me into her embrace and my hair. “It’s okay… You’re home now… you’re safe.”

“I’m tired. I think I’m just going to go to bed,” I told her. I realized that I was feeling really numb.

“Okay, rest well and forget about everything that happened,” she said to me and then she kissed my forehead.


(Jessica’s POV)

Kryssie walked into her room and I went into mine.

I knew I shouldn’t have let her go! I blame myself! I should have been a better sister and protected her even if she hated me for it. If I ever saw that guy again, I’m really going to kill him!

It’s lucky that she was able to take care of herself and she got home safe. I’m never letting her out of my sight again until mom and dad get home!

I was in such a furious mood that I couldn’t fall asleep, tossing and turning in my bed.

Then there was a knock on my door and Kryssie stepped in.

“Jessie… uhm… do you think that… I, uhm… could sleep here tonight?” she asked.

She used to crawl into bed with me whenever she was feeling scared about something when we were younger. It had been years since she had done that.

I didn’t bother answering, I just lifted my blanket for her to crawl in. I held the blanket with my hands and wrapped my arms around her. She tucked her arms in and buried herself in my hold.

“I should have listened to you, Jessie… You’re the only one who looks out for me…” she said softly.

She was facing me, so I pressed my forehead against hers.

“Don’t worry, Kryssie. I’ll be here to protect you, forever.”