Predicament

Entangled

(Jessica’s POV)

The day to present the project proposal was drawing near and Tiff and I were working feverishly to meet the deadline. We had spent the past week closing out our other accounts so that we could focus all our attention on this. There were a few days that we even stayed past midnight at the office to get things done. I don’t think I had ever work so hard in my entire life. And it seems like this week wasn’t going to be any different. The proposal was due the following Monday. That was when we would be giving our presentation to the board as well as the project leaders and representatives, including Sooyoung and Yoona. Then they will deliberate and the winners of the bid were to be announced the following day.

For Tiff, this was make or break time for her little company. It’s been over a year now that we’ve kept the company afloat. Actually afloat was a little bit of an understatement. The fact that it was just the two of us managing day to day activities, it was a miracle really, that we were still alive and doing well.

For me, I was just glad that this would all be over just in time for Kryssie’s 20th birthday. I really wanted to spend the day with her, so once the presentation was done, my work schedule would be back to normal and Tiff would probably let me have the day off. The timing was perfect. Although it would have been better if it weren’t for Kryssie’s exams being so close, then I could have taken her on a trip, just the two of us. I guess I’ll just have to settle for being her slave the entire day instead…

But that was still a little ways away. First, I had to get this proposal done right. Our future was depending on it.

“Why don’t you head home? You look tired…” Tiff told me but I was a little too focused on my task to hear what she said.

“Hmmm…?”

“Go home, Jess… It’s really late. Krystal must be worried…” she said again.

“No, she knows that I’ll be going home late everyday until Monday.”

“Still… I think you should head home. There’s nothing much more we can get done today. I’ll come in early tomorrow but you can just come in the usual time,” she instructed me.

Sometimes I forget that she was actually my boss.

“What about you? You should head home too… You’ve really been pushing yourself,” I told her.

“I won’t be long; just finishing up. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, okay. See you tomorrow. Get some rest!”

She waved her hand up in the air to say bye without bothering to look back at me.

I just shook my head, even though she wasn’t looking my way to witness my disapproval of her overexertion.

Actually, I was glad she told me to go home. It’s not that I was tired or that I didn’t want to stay and finish up whatever I needed to get done but because I really missed Kryssie. I hadn’t really gotten much time to even talk to her because every day I woke up before her and I got home after she had already gone to bed.

Sure enough, when I got home, Kryssie was already in bed. Not surprising considering that it was already past 1. I headed to my room first to see if she was there by any chance. She wasn’t. She had gone back to sleeping in her own room since I started coming home late.

I got washed up, changed and got into bed. It was weird that my bed felt so much emptier, so much bigger without her, and she was just on the other side of my bedroom wall.

But then I decided to do a quick check up on her, so I went to her room. Okay, so I just wanted to see her… I’ve become one of those people who can’t even go a day without seeing their other half.

She was sleeping soundly but her covers were kicked down to the foot of the bed. The weather was getting colder by the day, yet she was still wearing shorts and a tank to bed.

I shook my head and sighed.

Aigoo… This rascal… She’s going to catch a cold…

I walked up to her bed and pulled her covers up and tucked her in. Then I decided to just sit and watch her sleep for a while.

I brushed her hair away from her face with my hand and gently her cheeks with the back of my hand.

I missed this face so much… Is it even possible for this rascal to get anymore beautiful?

It didn’t make sense but the longer I sat and stared at her, the more I missed her. I couldn’t help myself, so I leaned in and gently laid my lips on hers. I just needed a taste of her so badly.

I was about to pull back but then I felt her lips moved against mine. My eyes shot open to meet hers.

“You’re home… What time is it…?” she asked softly, her voice hoarse from having been abruptly woken up.

“Oh! I’m sorry I woke you… It’s almost 2 but I just wanted to see you before I went to bed.”

“I feel like I haven’t seen you in days… It’s been crazy, huh?” she asked. She had shut her eyes again.

“Yeah… I’m leaving early for work again tomorrow. But I missed you so much, I just had to see your stupid face for a while.”

“Yah… I can’t believe you woke me up just to insult me…”

“I missed this…” I told her as I twirled her hair around my finger.

“What? You annoying me…?” Her eyes were still closed but a smile broke across her face.

“Yup… and you sassing me…”

“I only do it for your benefit…”

“Thanks, I really appreciate it.”

“No problem… Now… go to bed Jessie… It’s really late…” she told me.

I felt a little disappointed that she didn’t show any signs of having missed me as much as I missed her. I guess it was different for her being in school with her friends as compared to me being stuck in the office.

“Alright… Goodnight, Kryssie…” I gave her a quick kiss on the head and got up to leave.

Unsuspectedly, she caught my hand to stop me.

“Wae? You told me to go to bed…” I asked.

“Well, since you’re already here… just stay…”

“I have to get up early though… I don’t want to wake you unnecessarily…”

“You should have thought about that before you came and tried to kiss me while I was asleep… Besides, I need something to hug…”

“You have J…”

“You’re my J now… so quit whining and come here…”

As if she had done it a million times, she deftly scooted over to the other side of her bed while pulling me into bed with her.

I was about to start protesting but then I remembered that I had nothing to complain about. I had been craving her touch which always had a calming effect on me.

“I’m sorry I haven’t had time for you…” I told her.

“Don’t be silly. Work’s important… I want you guys to do well… Although… you owe me…” she said as she s her arms around my waist, pulling both our bodies closer together. She snuggled against my back like I was really her teddy bear.

“I know, I know… Once this is over… I’m all yours. I’ve already decided on your present…” I placed my hands on hers that were now playfully rubbing my tummy.

“What is it? No, wait… I want to be surprised…”

“Well… the present is for you to decide… For the entire day, I will be your genie. Your wish will be my command. So you have a week to decide what you want…”

“Really?! Anything?!” she exclaimed excitedly.

“Anything… As long as it’s within my power to grant it…”

“Do I only get one wish?”

“Aish… I knew you’d ask that… From 12 midnight to 12 midnight, you can ask for whatever, however many wishes you want, I will try my best to grant them… Okay?”

“This is the best present ever, Jessie! I’m definitely going to make it count!” She brushed my hair away from my neck and kissed it, sending a surge of electricity throughout my body causing me to tremble.

It had been awhile since she kissed me like that so my body was in a little bit of a shock.

“Okay, okay… Now, seriously, go back to sleep…”

“Ara…”

This rascal… Aish… I just know she’s going to abuse this present…

“Jessie…”

“Hmmm?” Just when I thought we were done talking and that she had gone back to sleep…

“I just wanted to tell you… I’ve missed you too…” she whispered.

I felt my heart melt. I didn’t know how she did it but she just did… The little things that she did or said always found a way to warm my heart.

And just like that… in the warmth of her embrace… it didn’t take long for me to drift off…


(The day of the proposal deadline…)

Since Tiff and I were the last company to be included as bidders for the project, our presentation was up last. It was added pressure because we had to capture the board’s attention after having heard multiple other companies giving their proposed ideas.

It was nerve-racking and the wait was excruciating.

“Don’t worry… I’m confident that our proposal is more unique than those of the other firms. We’ll blow their minds!” Tiff said confidently.

“I hope you’re right. I do feel that it’s our best work thus far. I just hope that it’s not too progressive for them.”

“No, but that’s what they’ve been asking from us. They want fresh, new, progressive ideas…”

“Fingers crossed, Tiff!”

I wish Kryssie was here… I need her calming effect on me right now…

We were scheduled for 3 but it was already 3.30. The presentations were running long…

Finally, at 3.50, we were told that the board was ready for us.

“This is it, Jess… You ready?” Tiff asked.

I clenched my hand into a fist and nodded my head. “Let’s do this thing…”

The presentation was simple enough but the question and answer session was grueling. The board had a lot of questions and worries, mostly geared towards the fact that whether or not out small firm could handle such a big project. We assured them that we had ways of going about that problem, and so far, we’ve never had it be an issue for us due to some creative means and outsourcing.

When we were dismissed, we were told that we would be notified of their decision by 2 tomorrow afternoon. Someone would give us a call at the office reguardless of whether or not our bid had won.

“Jessica-shi!” a somewhat familiar voice called out from a distance behind me just as Tiff and I were about to leave.

I turned around to see Yoona waving at me. Both she and Sooyoung had been part of the committee that we presented to. Throughout the presentation, I glanced in her direction a few times and she always had an encouraging smile which was a welcomed sight.

“Hey, I’ll head off first if you don’t mind. I’m meeting up with Taeyeonie.

I simply nodded my head and waved goodbye to her. Then I turned my attention back to Yoona.

“Oh, Yoona-shi,” I gave a slight nod. “Is there something you need to follow up on from us?

“Oh, no… No, nothing of that nature. I thought you guys gave a great presentation. I’m completely impressed.”

Is she just saying that or is she actually impressed?

I must have gave her a disbelieving look because she added. “I’m not just saying that because I like you… I’m saying this from a professional stand point. I know how to keep my business and personal matters separate.”

Now, I felt guilty that I had assumed she wouldn’t be able to keep her personal feelings aside.

“Sorry, I would never think that. Thanks. I know you’re not allowed to talk about the decision though, are you?” I asked.

“Actually, there’s nothing really to tell as of right now. They are still reviewing all the proposals. But personally, your proposal was one of my top 2.”

“Just top 2, huh?” I joked.

“Like I said… Just because I like you doesn’t mean I have to like your work.”

“I know… I was just kidding.”

She laughed. “Well, you must be glad the hardest part is over…”

“I am. I haven’t had much time for Kryssie in forever…” I blurted without thinking.

“Awww… You’re such a good sister. You take such good care of your sister.”

Oh, crap! What did I just say…?

It was a good thing she didn’t suspect anything. Actually… I realized I was being really paranoid. No one would automatically conclude that two sisters were dating just because they were affectionate. That’s a sick thought. Most normal peple would just assume that we were very, very close instead.

“Yeah, well… She’s the only sister I have and we’ve always been close…” I replied cooly, trying to pretend that I hadn’t said anything strange.

“Well, I just wanted to say hi. I’m off to rejoin the committee. Good luck!” she said and then headed back to where she came from.

Speaking of which… I pulled out my phone and pressed speed dial number 1.

“Kryssie… I’m done… You want to go out for dinner tonight…?”


(The next day…)

Tiff and I were patiently waiting for the phone call.

“The suspense is killing me, Jess!” Tiff cried.

Right on the dot at 2, the phone rang. Tiff jumped up from her seat and sprang for the phone.

“Hello, Tiffany Hwang speaking,” she greeted then she hit the speaker button so that I could hear the conversation.

“I’m calling about the Hana Yume project but I’m sure you already knew that. Anyway, we have a slight change of plans. Firstly, congratulations, you have been shortlisted as one of the two firms that will be taking your presentation to Japan. And that is why I’m calling really. It turns out that we will need you to present your proposal to the Japanese board on Friday. I know it is incredibly inconvenient but we will fly you and your associate to Japan on Thursday to present the proposal.”

WHAT?!

“No problem,” Tiff answered without a moment’s hesitation.

“Excellent. If you could come by our office tomorrow to make the necessary arrangements.”

“We will. Great, thanks!”

“Once again, we would like to apologize for this last minute change of plans and congratulate you for making the shortlist.”

“Thank you. We’ll head over to your office tomorrow morning.”

“See you tomorrow.”

“Goodbye.”

NOOOOO…! Thursday… Kryssie’s birthday! I can’t go!

“Uhm… Do you need me to go with you on Thursday?” I asked Tiff with my dilemma in mind.

“Of course! I need you there… Why? Is there something wrong?”

“Uhm… It’s just… It’s Kryssie’s birthday on Thursday…”

“It is? I’m sure she’ll understand when you tell her. This is really important!”

She’s going to be so mad! I promised…

However… I didn’t think that I had a choice.

“I understand…” I sighed.

And I had it all planned out too… But now… I had to disappoint Kryssie and tell her that her genie was a liar instead…