Storm part 2

FATE vs HATE

 

[Music: Carry on by Ali]

 

 

 

TOP slowly unwrapped her arms and turned to face her. 

 

Bom looked up at his unreadable expression.

 

He traced his finger over her cut on her forehead and she flinched slightly. When she opened her eyes she saw TOP looking worriedly at her, he leaned forward and kissed her cut gently.

 

"Appo?", he asked softly.

 

Bom shook her head and looked up at him sadly.

 

He grazed his thumb over a bruise on her cheek and furrowed his brows.

 

She looked up into his eyes and shook her head, "it doesn't hurt...."

 

Bom closed her eyes as he kissed her bruise. His eyes fell on the cut on her bottom lip now and traced her bottom lip softly with his thumb.

 

She placed her hand on his and stopped him, she pulled his hand down to her chest and looked up into his eyes again.

 

"I..i'm...fine", she stuttered nervously.

 

With his free hand he lifted her chin up gently.

 

Bom nervously blinked at him.

 

He leaned in closer now, his breath softly touching her bare skin. His hand placed itself on the side of her face and he gently pulled her lips to his. Bom instinctively closed her eyes when she met his lips. Her hands let go off his hand and he wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her closer to him. Her hands slowly wrapped around his neck as one hand ran through his hair pulling him closer. TOP moved his lips and kissed the cut on her lip making Bom part her lips slightly as they kissed. 

 

 

TOP finally broke their kiss and placed a final kiss on her head.

 

Bom looked at him with her big eyes, "Seunghyun?..."

 

TOP didn't answer.

 

Bom bit her lips, "what...what just happened?..."

 

 

TOP just sighed and pulled her into his arms, embracing her tightly, 'I don't know....'

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

"Mianhe yeobo...I had to tell them", halmoni said to halapoji as the boys stood by his bedside.

 

"It's ok...", he sighed and turned to the boys, "ya...what's with the faces?"

 

"Why didn't you tell us?", Ji asked.

 

"And have you 5 annoying me? No thanks", their grandfather joked.

 

"But how were you planning to hide something this big?!", Taeyang asked.

 

"Ahh...so noisy, leave if you're going to whine like girls", he said gruffily.

 

"Halapoji!!", they retorted.

 

"Yea yea don't remind me I'm old!", he said and turned to face his wife.

 

 

Suddenly the lights went off.

 

"OMO!", halmoni grabbed TOP's arm.

 

 

The lights came back on as soon as they went off.

 

"Must be because of the storm", Daesung nodded towards the window.

 

 

 

 

"Mr Geum", Dr Song walked in with Dara following behind with a notepad.

 

"Neh"

 

"Your tests came out fine so we can carry on with the surgery", she smiled.

 

"Surgery?!!", the boys shouted, "You said it was just for tests like last time!!"

 

"Aish!", he hit Daesung who was sitting closest to him, "Don't interrupt the doctor"

 

"Oh..mianhe", Dr Song apologised, "but you're booked to go into theatre at 4pm but we're having some technical difficulties due to the storm so we might have to wait a couple of hours extra if that's ok?"

 

 

They all nodded.

 

 

"Dara will take you when you've been prepped for surgery ok?", Dr Song smiled.

 

The grandparents smiled at Dara.

 

"Don't worry halapoji, I'll take good care of you", she smiled sweetly.

 

"Of course my dear", Halapoji smiled back.

 

"Aish, look at him smiling at Dara like that", Jiyong muttered, "Have you guys ever seen him smile like that to us?"

 

"YA!", halapoji glared at him, "Go home go home...ahhh so noisy!"

 

 

Dara giggled a bit, remembering Jiyong always said that when she was noisy too, he must have got it from halapoji.

 

 

"No WAY!", Jiyong said back, "You think I'm going to leave you?!"

 

 

The lights turned off again.

 

"AGGH!", Dara jumped and held someone's arm.

 

 

The lights flickered back on and she sighed with relief. She turned to see who's arm she was holding.....Jiyong's.

 

"GAH!", she shouted and stepped back a bit, "mianhe...I'm scared of the dark."

 

Jiyong just looked the other way trying to look like it didn't bother him.

 

"Anyway", Dara gathered herself together and faced everyone else, "I'll be back to take you up to theatre ok?"

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

"Dara just wheel Mr Geum to theatre in his bed ok", Dr Song ordered Dara, "Mianhe, half the porters couldn't get to work because of the storm so-"

 

"It's ok Dr Song, I don't mind doing it", Dara smiled.

 

"Thank you", Dr Song smiled back.

 

 

 

They walked to Geum Halapoji's room, "Ok we're ready to take you up Mr Geum"

 

The boys nervously stood up and started busying themselves, trying to figure out if their halapoji would need to take anything with him to surgery.

 

"Halapoji...your hat", Daesung gave him his hat.

 

"YA!", halapoji hit him with the hat, "I'm going for a surgery not a holiday!!"

 

"It's good to see someone is calm about this whole thing", Halmoni smiled weakly at her husband.

 

"Don't you start", her husband said gruffily.

 

 

 

"If the family would like to wait in the waiting room, and Dara you start taking Geum shi to theatre", Dr Song said.

 

 

"Neh", Dara waited for everyone to say their goodbyes and goodlucks.

 

Finally after everyone left, Dara approached Geum Halapoji, "Ready?"

 

"n..neh", Halapoji wiped a tear.

 

"Halapoji?", Dara asked stunned, before he was acting all gruff and fine and now when everyone had gone he started crying, "Please don't be scared"

 

Halapoji shook his head, "Ani...it's just...those kids love me too much aigoo",he wiped his tears again, "aigoo, they're too much, always annoying me haha!"

 

Dara smiled sweetly, "You're very lucky halapoji."

 

Halapoji nodded, "Let's go."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara pushed the bed into one of the lifts and pressed the floor button.

 

"Are you ok?", she asked Geum halapoji who nodded, "Don't worry-"

 

The lights suddenly turned off again.

 

"don't...worry...they'll come back on", she stuttered.

 

But they didn't come back on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

The lights turned off again in the waiting room.

 

"AISH!", the boys shouted in annoyance.

 

"Chill it'll come back on again....SEE!", Taeyang said and the lights did turn back on.

 

"Halmoni, do you want something to eat?", TOP sat down next to her.

 

The old lady smiled and shook her head, "ah...the young lady that saved me....Bom?"

 

TOP stiffened slightly, "She's fine."

 

"I must go see her after yeobo's surgery."

 

"Sure", TOP smiled.

 

 

 

 

 

"The lift!!", some nurses ran past them followed by security.

 

"Call the technician", a doctor said in a hurried voice as he ran past too, "Yes the lifts, I think there's someone stuck there!"

 

 

 

 

"What's going on?", the boys peered trying to find out what all the commotion was about.

 

 

 

 

 

"I heard it's one of the students from the cardiology department!", a nurse said to another nurse as they hurried there with equipment.

 

 

 

"Dara?!", Jiyong stood up.

 

"She's with halapoji!", Seungri shouted and they all ran off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Breath Dara...breath", Dara said to herself trying to calm herself down in the dark.

 

"Are you ok my dear?", Geum halapoji asked.

 

"neh", she gasped "are you?"

 

"um...", he replied.

 

"waeyo...is...are...you...ok?", she asked again between heavy breaths, she really hated the dark.

 

"well....I'm feeling some pain in my chest my dear", he said quietly.

 

Dara stood up and measured his pulse quickly, it was faint and slow.

 

"Is my pressure ok?", he asked.

 

Dara smiled and nodded trying to act calm.

 

 

 

 

 

"DARA!", she could hear a voice from outside.

 

"NEH!!", Dara shouted back, "HELPP!"

 

"Don't worry, we're going to get you out!", the voice shouted back.

 

"I HAVE A PATIENT WITH ME!", Dara informed.

 

"OK!"

 

"PLEASE HURRY!!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"please hurry"

 

 

The boys heard Dara's faint voice inside the lift. There was a large crowd around the lift now. 

 

"Seungri!", CL and Bom limped towards them.

 

"Bom!", TOP held Bom up before she could fall.

 

"Dara?", Bom asked.

 

"The lift's stuck", he explained.

 

"Crap!", she muttered and she limped to the doctors who were talking to her.

 

 

 

Technicians finally managed to pry the door open, but another problem faced them now. The lift Dara was in was stuck half way between this floor and the one below.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The doors opened and a bit of light shone on Dara.

 

"Oh thank god! Please get us out!", Dara shouted scared now.

 

"Relax, we'll get you out", the technicians said calmly.

 

"Dara!", Bom fell onto her knees and looked through the gap.

 

"BOM-AH!", she ran to the gap, "I'm scared"

 

 

"DARA!", Jiyong fell next to Bom.

 

"Ji...ji", Dara stuttered as she started crying from the shock.

 

"It's going to be fine", he held her hand through the gap, "How's halapoji?"

 

 

 

Dara hurried back to check on halapoji.

 

"HALAPOJI!!", Dara shouted when she saw him with his eyes closed. She measured his pulse again.

 

 

"DR SONG!!", Dara screamed through the gap, "the patient, his pulse is too faint!!"

 

"Dara relax and measure it again", Dr Song said through the gap.

 

Dara ran back and measured it again, "IT'S THE SAME!"

 

 

 

"Yeobo!", halmoni fell to the floor and the boys tried to comfort her.

 

 

 

 

"He's cold and his pupils are.....it's hard to see in this light DAMMIT!", Dara shouted after she did her observations.

 

"CHECK HIS BREATHING!", Dr Song shouted as she ordered nurses to get surgery instruments.

 

 

 

"It's faint....and croaky, I know he initially had small sap of fluid in his right lung, maybe it could be that!!", Dara shouted back.

 

 

 

 

Dr Song grabbed the equipment and threw them into the lift through the gap.

 

 

"What are these?", Dara asked frightened.

 

"Dara, if there is fluid in his lungs, we need to get it out immediately!!", Dr Song said sternly.

 

"WHAT?!", Dara gasped shaking her head, "I can't....I can't do that!"

 

"Yes you can!!"

 

"No...I'm just a student...I don't know how to", Dara cried.

 

"DARA!!", Dr Song shouted through the gap, "Listen to me!! You've studied this procedure 100s of times! I trust you!! You can do this!"

 

"No....", Dara said shaking, "What if I....what if I kill him?!!"

 

 

 

"DARA!", Jiyong suddnely shouted, "Please....save my him....please..."

 

 

Dara wiped her tears away, "Jiyong...but I'm scared..."

 

"Dara please....he's my grandad...please don't let him die."

 

 

"Dara!! You can do this!", Bom shouted behind him, "This is what becoming a doctor is all about, this is what we've worked for! you can do it!"

 

"Come on Dara, I'm going to explain the whole procedure step by step", Dr Song reassured her.

 

 

 

Dara picked up the covered equipment with her shaking hands, "What....do I do first?"

 

 

Dr Song and the others sighed with relief.

 

 

"Ok Dara, in the pack there's a sterilised scalpel, with that make the initial incision directly under the second rib bone in his right lung."

 

 

"ok...ok...", Dara lifted the sharp scalpel.

 

"Dara, steady hands!", Dr Song warned.

 

"n..neh",Dara stuttered as she ran her fingers on halapoji's chest to find the second rib, "got it."

 

She steadied her hand with her other hand and made an incision, "Ok...done!"

 

 

"Right now I need you to cut through the first layer of tissue Dara!"

 

"t..tissue...", she wavered.

 

 

 

"Please Dara!", she could hear Jiyong's voice.

 

 

 

"Ok cut through the tissue", Dara said trying to regain her confidence.

 

"Good, grab the tube and I need you to insert it directly into the incision, try not to bend the tube!"

 

Dara wiped the sweat off her forehead and scrambled through the bag for the thin tube.

 

"Make sure it doesn't go further than it should!"

 

"How...how do I do that?!", Dara cried out.

 

"Well...you saw his intial x ray and where the fluid sap was...so", Dr Song stuttered slightly too.

 

 

 

"You want me to GUESS?!", Dara panicked, covered in blood now.

 

"DARA! DO IT! THAT MAN'S LIFE DEPENDS ON YOU!", Dr Song shouted.

 

 

Dara clenched her jaw, they were right, this patient's life depended on her....JIyong's halapoji's life depended on her.

 

 

She grabbed the tube and inserted it into the incision.

 

 

"Now if you have done it in the right place, the fluid should soon come out", Dr Song said.

 

 

 

Everyone waited for Dara to say something.

 

 

Halmoni was crying her poor eyes out. Bom came to her and hugged her. The boys fidgeted nervously. The medical staff waited holding their breath.

 

 

 

Dara stood there in front of halapoji with her eyes closed, "please don't die...please don't die."
 

 

She opened her eyes and saw fluid slowly drain from the tube.

 

"it's coming....IT'S COMING! THE FLUID!!", Dara shouted.

 

 

 

Dr Song smiled with relief and the other staff clapped their hands.

 

 

 

 

 

Just then the lift moved suddenly making Dara fall on the floor.

 

"AHHHHHH!"

 

 

The doors shut and the lift finally started moving, it opened on the floor everyone was at.

 

 

The medical staff ran to Geum halapoji and rushed him off to theatre. 

 

Dara leaned weakly against the wall, still on the floor covered in blood.

 

 

"DARA!" Bom and CL ran to Dara and hugged her.

 

"Thank you my dear!" Halmoni came in and hugged her too.

 

"Come on", CL helped her onto her feet.

 

 

 

Dara stepped out of the lift and met JIyong's unreadable gaze.

 

The rest of the boys hugged her, thanking her. The staff clapped and congratulated her for saving the patient's life.

 

"I'm proud of you Dara", Dr Song smiled, "You're going to become a great doctor."

 

 

Dara smiled weakly, drained from what she just had to do.

 

"Do you want to go home?", Bom asked worriedly.

 

"I don't think that'll be possible right now with the storm", Dr Song said, "Why don't you take Dara to the staff accomodation instead."

 

"Neh", Bom bowed and her and CL took Dara away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

[Music: Anywhere but here by Safetysuit]

 

 

 

 

After a bit of rest Dara woke up, she looked out of the window and the storm had finally died down.

 

She sighed still tired and stuffy, so she walked out of the staff room.

 

 

 

 

 

"Ah...that's better", she closed her eyes and felt the cold wind on her face as she stood in front of the hospital.

She wrapped her arms around herself and sighed. 

 

 

"Dara?"

 

She turned when she heard Jiyong's voice.

 

 

Jiyong walked to her and pulled her into a tight embrace.

 

"Jiyong?", Dara asked shocked.

 

Jiyong clenched his jaw and shut his eyes, he wrapped his arms around her more, scared she would disappear.

 

"Ji-"

 

"Thank you", Jiyong tried to stop the tears falling, "Chincha...thank you!"

 

Dara stood there in shock, her arms by her side as he hugged her with so much emotion she didn't know how to react.

 

 

 

He then suddnely stiffened and loosened his grip on her. He pushed himself off her, he looked away and then walked away from her.

 

 

The cold replaced his warmth around her body and she felt like someone had taken her breath away. She looked at his back and started to panic.

 

 

"MY WISH!", she blurted out.

 

Jiyong stopped in his tracks but didn't turn around.

 

"You...you lost our bet remember!", Dara shouted.

 

 

Jiyong closed his eyes, 'Please don't say it....please don't say it...'

 

 

"Stay!", Dara shouted out nervously.

 

 

Jiyong sighed.

 

 

"PLEASE!", Dara shouted again with panic in her voice that made Jiyong flinch, "please...don't let me go..."