Everybody has problems

FATE vs HATE

 

 

 

"Hmmm....Dara....your phone", Bom picked Dara's phone and handed it to her. It was 2am in the morning and someone was ringing Dara.

 

"Oh god....who is it?", Dara opened one eye to look at the caller ID, it was an unknown number, "Yoboseyo?", she croaked half asleep.

 

There was silence.

 

"Yoboseyo?", Dara repeated slightly sitting up now.

 

"Sandara", a man's voice softly said.

 

Dara froze at the sound of the voice. 

 

"Don't hang up...please", the man pleaded.

 

"What do you want?", Dara asked through gritted teeth. Whoever this man was, Dara had no intention of talking to him.

 

"Dara..."

 

"How did you get my number?", Dara asked, "How many times do I have to tell you to stop trying to find me?!"

 

"You're my daughter....how can I not try-"

 

"You lost your daughter the day you married that woman!", Dara hissed and hung up the phone.

 

She switched her phone off and laid back down again.

 

 

 

"Is everything ok?", Bom asked, having heard everything.

 

"Yes", Dara replied, "Good night Bom-ah..."

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

"I just don't understand why you like living in that dump when you can live here my dear?", Mrs Kwon said to her son.

 

"That dump is my studio mother", Jiyong sighed.

 

"Same thing, look I think it's about time you stop that photography nonsense and spend more time at work-"

 

"Mum, we've had this discussion before!", Jiyong stood up to leave, this is exactly why he hated coming home.

 

"Ok fine ok fine, I guess as long as the business isn't being affected then it's ok", his mum tried to calm him down, "I have something I want to talk to you about instead"

 

"What now?", Jiyong started putting his coat on.

 

"Ji....please....won't you go on a blind date?"

 

"WHAT?!"

 

"There's this young lady who's the daughter of the owner 'Korea Exports' .... you know having a connection with that company would really help-"

 

"You've got to be kidding me?", Jiyong asked in shock, "You want me to have an arranged marriage??! For business as well?! Have you gone mad?!"

 

"Are you seeing someone then?", his mum asked worriedly.

 

"NO!", Ji shouted back, "But I'm going to pretend like we didn't have this conversation....I'm going!"

 

"Ok..ok there's no rush, the young lady....well...she's a bit of a free spirit....and I haven't actually seen her so maybe when I find out a bit more info about her maybe we can talk about it then neh?", his mum smiled at him.

 

"You've lost the plot mother you really have", Ji shook his head and left the house.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

"Omma?", TOP walked in to see his mother in his kitchen, "When did you come back to Korea?"

 

"Tabi!", his mum ran and hugged her son, "I missed you so I came."

 

"Still using aegyo at this age", TOP frowned at his lovely mother.

 

"Well since my son doesn't have any, I have to don't I?", she smiled, "come, I made you your favourite", she pulled him towards the table.

 

 

 

 

"How long are you staying for?", TOP asked as he ate.

 

"Um....I have to go back to Japan tomorrow..", Mrs Choi said quietly.

 

TOP stopped eating, "So soon..."

 

"Well you know your dad, he doesn't like me gone for too long", his mum smiled nervously, "He asked how you were by the way."

 

TOP didn't respond and went eating his food.

 

"I can phone him and maybe you two can talk?", his mum looked up at him with hope.

 

"Maybe another time", TOP said and continued eating his food.

 

"Tabi...", his mum placed her hand on his, "What happened with you and your dad?"

 

TOP stood up abruptly, "Nothing...I'm going to go take a shower."

 

"Choi Seunghyun!", his mum said sternly making TOP turn to face her, "sit back down."

 

TOP obeyed and sat down with a sigh.

 

"Tabi...what is it?", his mum asked again, "You and your dad got along so well when you were a child...what happened? And don't say nothing happened, I've had enough of being left in the dark!"

 

"Why don't you ask your husband?", TOP said coldly.

 

"Tabi..."

 

"I'm sorry mum, I'm really tired tonight, I'm going to bed."

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

CL, Bom and Dara lied down on the roof of the rooftop house.

 

"How's your dad these days Cl?", Bom asked.

 

"Still upset about the job loss, but what can they do if the company decides to close their branch...", CL quietly said.

 

"Hmm....but he's healthy?", Bom asked again.

 

"Yea...as always", CL tried to smile.

 

 

 

 

"Unnies...", Minzy climed up the ladder.

 

"What's wrong Minzy-ah?", Dara asked.

 

"Nothing", Minzy said all puffy-eyed and laid down beside the girls, "just the restaurant business isn't going very well....and dad is well you know..."

 

The girls nodded. Ajhussi Gong suffered from anxiety all his life, and such pressures like business weren't helping his condition.

 

 

"I guess it's just one of those days isn't it?", Bom said.

 

"Yup...when all the problems you're trying to hide just pop out of nowhere", CL said.

 

The girls laid there in silence for a while.

 

 

"Dara unnie?", Minzy asked suddenly, "Did you change your mobile number again?"

 

"Yea", Dara mumbled.

 

"Why do you keep changing your number? It's like the 5th time in year", Minzy asked.

 

"I'm guessing your father hasn't stopped trying to track you down then?", CL said knowingly.

 

"Was that him this morning?", Bom asked.

 

"Yup...", Dara replied, "one month after my mum passed away, my dad re-married...meaning he was probably cheating on mum when she was alive..."

 

"Oh..", Bom said in slight shock.

 

"And all those years he didn't give a damn about me.....he now suddenly wants to contact me ha?!", Dara said bitterly.

 

 

"So Bom", Cl turned to Bom, "My dad's unemployed and I can barely pay my college fees, Minzy's dad's business isn't doing well and Dara's two-timing father wants to rekindle their father daughter relationship. What about you then? What's your problem my child?"

 

The girls all looked Bom and waited.

 

Bom stared at the sky and sighed, "My parents were murdered...."

 

 

The girls froze. The atomsphere suddenly turned cold.

 

 

"When I was 9, I was told they died in a car accident", Bom continued, "I was sent to live with my aunt in America after that, but then when I was 11 my aunty passed away so I stayed in an orphanage. I grew up there and went to Yale...then I found out that my parents were murdered instead, hence I transferred and came back to Korea...to .....", Bom gulped.

 

"To find the killers?", Dara asked quietly.

 

Bom nodded.

 

"How?", CL asked.

 

"I don't know, the police won't help, they won't even let me look at my parents case file", Bom sighed.

 

"Are you sure they were murdered unnie?", Minzy asked quietly.

 

"My aunty thought so...and I've been doing a bit of research and there are somethings that don't really seem right...", Bom explained.

 

Dara sat up, "Don't worry I'll help you.

 

"Us too!", CL and Minzy said with determination.

 

"Chincha?", Bom asked geniunely touched, "It might be dangerous..."

 

Dara shook her head, "We're helping."