Day 8 in America

The Trip

 

“Why am I so nervous?” Mag finally asked as we walk up to her brothers house. I grabbed her hand so she knows she’s not alone.

“You shouldn’t be. I should be nervous,” I laughed.

There we are, standing right in front of her brother’s house. It’s a good size. It has a modern feel to it. The front lawn is big. He has 2 cars parked in the driveway. Mag finally presses the doorbell.

“Here we go,” she mumbled under her breath. “My brother is a little intimidating.”

“It’s okay.” I stared at her, watching her cheeks turn a little red. You can read it on her face that she’s really scared right now. I grabbed her hand tighter. Finally, I heard footsteps coming our way.

“WHAT DO YOU WANT?” a husky voice yelled. I stepped back. .  

“Shut up, Mark!” Mag yelled slapping his shoulder. They hugged. His eyes never left me. “This is Young-bae.”

“Hi,” I managed to say bowing. He kept staring at me and let Mag in. He blocked my way. He stood tall and you can tell he’s flexing his arms. Silently stating that he’ll kill me if I cross the line. Intimidating isn’t even the word to describe him. He’s straight out scary. “It’s nice to meet you.”

He grinned. “Come in.”

I walked in, taking off my shoes, and trying to catch up to Mag. I could feel her brother’s breath on my back. He put his hand on my shoulder, gripping it. I chuckled trying to keep it cool. “You have a nice house.”

He loosen his grip and patted my shoulder. “You still have a long way to go, buddy.”

I jerked, confused at what he meant. I finally saw her, leaning against the dining table, talking to a group of people. I locked eyes with an elderly woman I recognized. Her mother.

“Young-bae!” She yelled. She got up and walked over to me.

“Hi, Mrs. Mara,” I bowed.

She stood there with her hand on her hips shaking her head. “Give me a hug,” she said with her free hand on my shoulder.

“Oh, sorry.” I laughed.

“Come come come,” she said excitedly. She tugged my shoulder and pulled me towards the group of people. “I want you to meet the rest of our family.”

“Hi,” I managed to say and one by one, each of Mag’s family, came and gave me a hug.

The atmosphere was very warm. Everyone was nice – but her brother was still staring hard at me. I couldn’t make eye contact with him, but I felt it burn my face. We all talked and laughed – eating some Indonesian food that Mag’s mother prepared. Finally, most of them went to the den to watch TV. Her brother, Mag, and I were left in the dining room. He took a seat right next to mind, holding onto my chair.

“Mom told me that you had some news you wanted to share,” his voice was very stern and I know he was talking to Mag, but his glare was glued on me.

“Mark,” Mag said softly, “look at me when you talk.”

He laughed. “Relax. The stare isn’t going to kill him.”

I laughed and adjusted my posture. I moved a bit further away from him.

“Loosen up, please?” Mag’s tone became aggressive.

Mark finally let go of my chair and placed his hands on the table. He’s facing Mag and I took a deep breath feeling relieved. I turned and faced her too. Mag looked at me and I can see she’s scared. We never really talked about how to approach this, but we just know we had to.

“Should mom be here?” Mark asked.

“Yeah, she should.” Mag got up and went to the den. I gulped being alone with her brother again.

He turned to me and grinned. “You’re Korean?”

“Yes, I am.”

He shook his head. Mag finally came back and sat her mother down next to her. She wrapped her arm around her.

“So what is going on?” Mark asked.

Mag stared at me. “I don’t know how to begin,” she took a deep breath. I got up and sat right next to her, holding her hand. “I’m pregnant.”

Mark balled his finger into a fist. “WHAT?!” I jerked in my chair. My heart felt like it left my body. “WITH HIS KID?” His eyes darted to me and his stare killed me. I focused my attention on Mag’s mother who just smiled softly. “ARE YOU ING KIDDING ME?”

With his yelling, everyone in the den came into the dining room.

“What’s going on?” Mark’s wife asked. Her names Nicole.

“Mag’s pregnant.” Mark said softly. His eyes met his kids who were hiding behind Nicole. “Go upstairs, alright?”

The kids went up stairs, and Nicole joined the conversation. “You’re pregnant?”

Mag nodded.

“What are you guys going to do?” She asked. Mark was fuming mad. His breathing was faster, and he kept gripping his fist tighter and tighter. I imagined he was trying to choke me.

“That’s what I wanted to talk about,” Mag began, she placed her hand on my thigh.

“I’ll talk,” I finally said. It was my idea, anyway.

“I know things didn’t happen the way it should,” I took a deep breath, “traditio-“

“Get to the point,” Mark cut me off, “I don’t give a about how things happened, but your better take resp-“

“Mark,” Mag yelled. She stood up slamming her hand on the table. “Let him talk!” Mark took a deep breath.

“I’m sorry,” Mag whispered to me. I nodded.

“I know things have been going fast, but I love her.” Nicole pressed her lips and Mark scoffed. He rolled his eyes and looked towards a wall. “She should not be going through this pregnancy alone. She would be with me.”

“That’s right,” Nicole said. “You guys should be together.”

I smiled. I’m glad someone agrees with me. “I know Mag is primarily responsible for her mother, but I can provide for them.” I wrapped my arm around Mag’s shoulder.

“Wait wait wait,” Mark started, “how can you possibly support them? What are you? 12?”

“I ca..” I was baffled. Did she not tell him what I do?

“Look,” He stared at Mag, “Mag, you’re smart. I’m glad you survived the way you did. But a baby is something you can’t handle right now. Especially with some kid claiming he can take care of you. What does he do? Work in McDonalds? Come on. You just graduated, you have a good job, and you’re gonna throw it away for some KID?”

I slammed my fist on the table. Who the hell does he think I am? “I’m sorry, but I’m not some kid!” I yelled. , I just challenged him. “You don’t know who the hell I am. You don’t even know what I do for a living.” I took a deep breath.

“Mark, I’m in good hands, and trust me, I know what I’m doing.” Mag said.

“Get out of my house,” Mark finally said. “Mom is staying with us, and go do whatever the you want.” He slammed his hand on the table and his free hand pointed at the door.

“Mar-,” Nicole pleaded.

“NO!” He yelled.

“Mark,” Mag got up and took a deep breath, “you always got to make things dramatic, don’t you?” She gave him a hug, but he shrugged it off. “I’ve made so many life changing decisions. And here I am, still standing on 2 feet. I know what I’m doing.”

She leaned and gave Nicole and her mom a hug. “Babe, let’s go.”

I leaned and gave her mom a hug. “I’m sorry for yelling. I hope to see you again.” I whispered in her ear. I gave Nicole a hug.

“Sorry,” she said.

I grabbed Mag’s hand and headed for the door. I felt his stares burn on my back. Once we got out the door, I heard someone slam it again.

“I had to live with that ever since my father left,” she said under her breath. “My mom hates it there.”

I rubbed her hands when she started the car.

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled. I looked ahead as we drove off.

“I love you,” I said. I couldn’t look at her, but I can tell she was crying. No matter what, they are family. Of course she is hurt from what happened.

But we’re going to be a family too. I took a deep breath. Why is this so complicated?