Dinner at the Spot

The Trip

"So, tell me more about yourself, Mag?" Kyle asked while taking a bite of his food.

"Well," I said while my mouth is stuffed with cold noodles, "I'm 24. American. And not philipino." I laughed at my own little joke.

Ash was enjoying cooking her spicy pork, but stared at me. I know what she is thinking. 

"Mag, you're lame."

I poked her. Kyle is just staring at us. He's smiling so atleast he's enjoying our relationship.

"Not philipino? Does everyone get you mixed up often? Because you do seem philipino or malaysian."

He seems geniunely interested.

"I'm actually Indonesian. Everyone at my hometown always assumed I'm philipino. It doesn't bother me, though. I just find it amusing when they find out I'm not. I would be a millionaire for how many times a philipino person would come up to me speaking in their native tongue."

"Really? Malay and Indonesian is somewhat similar, right?"

I nodded while taking another bite of my cold noodles. I see Ash from the corner of my eye rambling through her bag to check her cellphone. It's been.. what? 2 or 3 hours since the fanmeet.

"Still nothing?"

"No.. I don't even know if I texted the number right. There's so many digits compared to American phone numbers."

"Did you put the 0 in the number when you dialed? Because you can't drop the 0 like when you call internationally," Kyle said.

Ash looked at me as if she found gold.

"Maybe that's why!" She yelled. "I dropped the 0 and put the country code in like how I would call from the states overseas. No wonder. I'm going to try again!"

I smiled at her.

"She's cute, huh? Like a little girl."

Kyle nodded and added, "Or she's determined to get Seungri."

"Seungri?" I asked.

"Yeah, Victory is his 'english' name. His actual stage name is Seungri. So, you'd hear him being called Seungri..."

and his explanation was interrupted by this chirping noise that came from Ash's phone.

Kyle and I looked at her wondering what happened. No one knows our Korean numbers but us and Kyle.

Ash smiled, but it quickly turned into a frown. She slammed her phone into her purse and pouted.

"Kyle! Why did you text me?!"

Kyle started bursting up into laughter. 

"I'm sorry. I couldn't help it."

"When did you text her? I didn't see you use your phone." I was baffled. Kyle was talking to me the whole time.

"I had one free hand. I know my phone." He winked at me. 

Ash pretended to punch him, but sat down. "Only because you drove us today. That's your jail-free card."

Finally, when the atmosphere became normal again, Kyle invited us to his favorite spot in SK. He wouldn't tell us what it was, or anything about it. He just said to trust him - so we did. 

We drove for a good hour - and during that time, we learned a lot about Kyle. He's 26. He's been engaged. He's lived here for a good 5 years already. His parents are divorced. He rarely spoke to his father. And he's single. Which struck points for me, of course. Lord knows how long I haven't been with anyone. The last relationship I had ended horribly. We both loved each other so much, but things kept happening that made it not work out. And, ever since then, I vowed to be celebet until I found the right guy.. it's been 2 years. and it's hard.

"Kyle, where are you taking us?" Asked Ash. She probably was becoming nervous because we're actually going up a hill. And it's dark.

"Yeah, are we almost there?" I asked while placing grazing his arm a bit.  I looked back at Ash. I see her giving me a thumbs up. And I feel the blood rushing to my cheeks.

"I know we just met yesterday, but trust me. If you're human, you'll love this spot. I go here all the time."

Ash and I looked at each other and sighed.

Finally, we reached the top of the hill. It was so dark, I was spooked. 

"Really? This is your favorite spot? I don't see anything." I exclaimed as I was getting out of his car. The place was empty, dark, cold.. it reminded me of a horror movie.

Ash stayed in the car because she refused to be attacked.

"Mag, trust me. Walk with me. This is the parking area."

I looked around and I don't see anything that would indicate this area being a parking section. The ground was rocky. And there were no other cars! But, no matter how hesitant I was.. I followed him,

"Okay."

Kyle gestered for my hand. I grabbed it and followed him. I stumbled considering I can't really see. I felt a little bad because he almost fell due to my clumsiness. But he laughed it off which was cute. The way he held my hand was sweet as well. He never loosen his grip.

"Almost there." He muttered as we finally hit the top. "Now, close your eyes and take a deep breath."

I listened to what he said and opened my eyes.

"Oh my god.." I was dumbfounded. I've never see so many stars in my life. The sky was so black and the stars shined brightly. Looking down towards the city, I became amazed by how it looked. The lights were shining. The city was alive.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

I nodded and held onto his hand harder.