3-1

Bits and Pieces

 

“Seo, marry me.” He said, kneeling down on one knee, in the middle of the stage with everyone staring at her enviously. It didn’t sound like a question. Seohyun smiled shyly, face blushing red from the embarrassment that she felt, not by his action, but from the attention they are getting. Of course, in such a situation, the girl would definitely agree, and Seohyun was no exception. She nodded her head slowly while staring in his eyes intently, as though the world stopped moving for them. Seohyun felt like she was the happiest woman in the world, her first love, and last…

=====

“Will you marry me?” Jinwoon said, as he held the box with a diamond ring in front of her. Same position, kneeling down on one knee, eyes staring at her. It was like a reenactment of the whole scene, but the one who was asking for her hand, was not him. Seohyun took a moment to digest the whole situation before coming to her senses. She hesitated awhile before gathering the courage to answer her now one-year boyfriend. “S-sorry Jinwoon, I-I need time. Give me some time.” Seohyun finally revealed her true feelings. Jinwoon closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, he clearly knew from the bottom of his heart that Seohyun wasn’t prepared for this. But he still wanted to take the chance, at least he can tell himself he has tried. Their relationship was built based on respect, and Jinwoon would never do anything to risk their relationship. If Seohyun is reluctant, he was willing to wait with all his life.

Jinwoon then retrieved the ring and stood up, taking a deep breath again to hide the hurtful feeling in his heart and forced a smile to Seohyun. “I’m sorry, I guess I was too impatient. I know you need time, so I will give you time. But please, don’t let me wait for too long. I might go crazy.” Jinwoon chuckled at his own words. “I will try, really. Sorry…” Seohyun said.

Guilt, guilt was what Seohyun felt when she closed the door to her apartment and leaned against it. Why did she not feel the same way as when she was first proposed by ‘him’? There was no heart beat accelerating, in fact, she was finding all sorts of excuse to avoid this situation. And now that Jinwoon has proposed, Seohyun knew she had to make a choice – Marry Jinwoon or let him go for good. He could definitely find another girl whom deserves him much more than herself. All these while, Seohyun knew she did not get over her first love, in fact, she suspected Jinwoon knew of her feelings too, but chose to keep mum and love her just the way she is. She felt guilty for being so selfish, she knew she shouldn’t have agreed when Jinwoon asked her to be his girlfriend. She just did not know how to reject a nice guy like him.

=====

“What?! Jinwoon proposed to you?! Did you agree then?!” Seohyun’s best friend, Yoona chirped excitedly. “I told him I needed more time.” Seohyun smiled apologetically, thinking of Jinwoon. “Seriously Seo, you’re one of the luckiest girl on Earth, and yet you’re making your life tough by choosing the difficult path.” Yoona said, as a matter of fact. What Yoona said was true, she could have been the luckiest girl on Earth. There was nothing bad about Jinwoon, he has the appearance, the built, the eye-smile that captivated most of the girls when they went on a date, a good family background, with good grades himself and a bright future. What prevented Seohyun from agreeing then? “It’s him, right? I’m not trying to rub salt on your wound, Seo. But your wounds should have healed by now. You need to give yourself another chance to fall in love. It has already been two years since…” Yoona stopped, she knew mentioning his name would make her tear. Those nights Yoona saw Seohyun crying while clutching her picture with him, her heart aches for Seohyun. Yoona was there all the while and helped her with her recovery process, even introducing Jinwoon to her thinking it might help.

Seohyun closed her eyes at the thought of him. Breathing in and out hard to prevent her tears from falling. She was getting good at that, when she visited his parents, and when she revealed the news to her own parents, she had no choice but to show the strong side of her to not make them worry.

“Seo…I’m sorry. Let’s forget about all these, I’m treating you dinner. Forget all your worries and hang out with the girls tonight.” Yoona changed the topic, hoping to change Seohyun’s mood as well. “It’s alright, I’m feeling a little tired, I think I should go home early to rest.” Seohyun smiled. “Really? But…”

“It’s alright, enjoy yourselves alright. See you tomorrow.” Seohyun forced a smile as she walked towards her car. However, the route she took did not brought her home, instead, she arrived at the beach, overlooking the mansion that they almost bought when he was still with her. They were both captivated by the scenery, and decided that it would be their future home, where they would create a family of their own and live happily. It was all going smoothly, until…