12-1

Bits and Pieces

Seohyun sighed happily as she finally graduated from university. It wasn’t easy, being in one of the top universities in the world, but she was glad she managed to focus and did well. She was head hunted by many companies back in her country and after careful considerations; she decided that she would choose the top firm in Korea, one of the leading firms in Asia. She faced a lot of hardship back then, with the language barrier in the United States, but was glad that people around her were helpful and patient with her.

Stepping out Incheon Airport, she waited awhile before her sister Yoona came to fetch her. “Unnie!” She said excitedly when Yoona stopped her car in front of her then ran towards her for a hug. “I missed you so much! How could you not invite us for your graduation ceremony!” Yoona accused. “I’m sorry, I just did not want to bother you all, it’s just graduation!” Seohyun said apologetically. “So….how’s US? How’s the guys over there?” Yoona teased. “Unnie…you know I don’t have time for those!” Seohyun laughed as she hit her sister teasingly. “What about you and Seunggi-oppa? Are you done with your marriage preparations?” She continued. “Of course, it’s just a month away. But I’m so glad you’re back, because I purposely waited for you to choose the gowns with me!” Yoona explained. “I’m so happy for you Unnie! I’m so glad you’re happy.” She said while clutching Yoona’s arms. 

“Well…so it’s your turn soon. Hurry and get yourself a boyfriend when you start work, alright? You’re already 25!” Yoona reminded. “But I’m still a kid! At least to you and dad and mom!” Seohyun retorted. Yoona rolled her eyes, yet happy that her baby sister is still the same. “Let’s go, Mom and Dad are waiting for us at your favorite restaurant!” Yoona said as she ushered her sister into the car.

Her family welcomed her back happily as they bombarded her with questions about the United States, her education and her love life. They were of course disappointed when Seohyun told them that she did not find any reason to get a boyfriend since school work was taxing enough. “Everyone’s daughters are getting married, what about mine?” Mrs Seo said. “You have unnie don’t you?” Seohyun said as she smiled. “But Yoona has never made us worried about her relationships. As for you young lady, please stop letting your father and I worry about your future partner.” Her mother reminded her.

“Yes Mom… You sound like you’re too eager to kick me out of the house you know?” Seohyun joked while her family members laughed. “I will start work on Monday, I have accepted the position at this corporation.” She informed. “We are happy for you Seohyun, for achieving all these yourself. Now go out there and meet all those good guys, and bring them back to us.” Mr Seo said then laughed while Seohyun rolled her eyes again.

==

Seohyun briefly met up some of her high school friends during her one week break before cooping herself at home to have some alone time away from the society. She was still trying to get used to the environment since it has been years since she has returned. 

Monday came, and she woke up early to prepare for her first day of her job. Upon entering the premises, she felt a little unusual to see reporters crowding around the lobby area of the building. She then decided that this may just be a normal procedure since it was after all the top firm in Korea. 

Reporting herself to the HR department to gather her belongings, she was asked to go to a conference room where most of the staffs were already there. Turns out that it was something related to the CEO of the organization. The person in-charge took the stage and explained that the current CEO has been in a poor health since a month ago and the Board of Directors have decided to have his son replaced the position. “Let’s welcome Mr Jung Yunho.” He announced as the audience clapped to welcome him while whispers could be heard as well. “Don’t you know? He’s the most promising person after his father. Even the Board of Directors could not find someone else to replace.” Two person beside Seohyun whispered loudly. As Jung Yunho cleared his throat to speak, the crowd became silent. “I will be taking over this position until the CEO, my father, has recovered. I hope we can all work well together. Thank you.” His facial expression and tone were serious, showing authority purely through his speech.

Seohyun felt like she could not breathe when Yunho spotted her within the crowd and locked eyes with her. She could not believe her luck that out of hundreds or even thousands of companies, she had to be in the one that Jung Yunho was in. To make things worse, she was going to be an Advisor to the CEO, whom is now Yunho. Thoughts of running away and resigning on her first day of work came into her mind, but she thought that it would be stupid to do so. She sighed, it was time to face the problem that made her ran away five years back.

The meeting ended and she went to her room just beside the CEO. Everything was properly furnished and modern, the kind of office that people dream of working at. She unwind the blinders and looked out, the view was magnificent at the 58th level of the building. “Nice view right?” The voice she will never forget sounded through her ears.

Seohyun took a deep breath as she slowly turned to face the owner of the voice. “Yunho.” She nodded. “It’s been awhile, isn’t it?” Yunho said as he walked closer to her, then settled down in the chair opposite hers. “Yes. How have you been?” She asked cautiously. “I’m married, just six months ago.” He said. Seohyun suddenly felt weak at the information. He’s married… “Congratulations.” She replied, a little forced. “What about you? What have you been doing for the past five years?” He asked, ignoring her sudden change of tone. “I’ve been studying in the United States.” She replied. “I see. I hope you can adapt here, it’s a different culture as compared to the US. If you need anything, just come to me next door.” Yunho said as he turned to exit her room. 

“Yunho!” Seohyun called him before he disappeared from her sight. “I hope we can maintain our relationship in a professional manner. Please.” Seohyun said softly. Yunho kept his back facing Seohyun, he stopped a little while, then walked away without saying anything. She did not know that it was not a coincidence when she was offered a spot in the corporation. Yunho saw her name in the list and demanded that she will be his Advisor, her excellent grades was just an excuse for him to bring her closer to him. That she did not have to know.