11-Oneshot Yongseo

Bits and Pieces

“Seo Joohyun.” Yonghwa warned. It was getting out of hand. The love Seohyun had for Yonghwa was slowly killing her and he could see them all. “Yong…How does it feel like to play with my heart?” Seohyun laughed hysterically, tears flowing down her pretty face.

“You are drunk. Let’s talk again when you are sober.” Yonghwa said sternly. He was slowly getting mad. The bubbly and positive girl he once knew and fell in love with was slowly disappearing. “I must have looked like an idiot in your eyes all these while.” Seohyun was clearly drunk, both physically and mentally in miserable.

“I’m leaving.” Yonghwa said as he stood up. He did not know why he treated her with such coldness. Actually he did. In fact, she did nothing wrong. Seohyun hugged Yonghwa from the back before he could leave. “You are leaving me again. It’s okay Yong..you know I will always love you. But I am tired already…I do not have any strength left to chase after you. This time round…I’m leaving first. He’s fetching me. I am accepting his proposal.” She turned him to face her, caressing his cheeks before giving him the last kiss then make her way to the car that has been waiting for her. “I love you.” She whispered.

=====

Seo Joohyun was the kind of popular girl you often see in high school/college dramas. With an admirable family background together with a group of pretty girls surrounded by guys eager to catch their attention. The only thing difference about her from other usual pretty girls was that, she was extremely smart, and an avid book lover. She spent most of her time in the library reading, while the rest of her friends chat about the latest fashion, the hottest boys. She read while she followed them around, she read after she was done with lunch, she reads in the car when her butler comes to fetch her home from school.

Seohyun had her own personal favorite spot in school, which she chanced upon when she told the girls she wanted to be alone from the crowd. It was a daily routine to visit the private corner and read an hour or so before lesson starts. But that day, her private corner was taken by another person, the infamous school outcast, taking a nap.

She was about to turn and leave but she realized that the guy’s arm was bleeding badly. Being a medical student, she could not leave him there without doing anything. Walking on her toes, she settled beside the guy and took out her handkerchief, trying to lift his arm and tie it around to stop the bleeding. While she was focusing, the guy woke up and grabbed her arm.

“What are you doing?” He asked, staring at her. “You’re bleeding, I’m trying to stop it.” Seohyun replied, unable to shift her eyes away from his. He had such charismatic eyes that drawn her in instantly without her knowing. It took a little while for Seohyun to realize she was indeed staring at him, and she pulled the knot of the handkerchief a little too tight, causing him to wince.

“I’m…I’m sorry!” Seohyun exclaimed. “Take it back, I don’t need this.” The guy was trying to untie the handkerchief, but Seohyun immediately stopped him. “Leave it, at least until you go to the clinic. I’m leaving..Jung Yonghwa-ssi.” She smiled before leaving him for classes.

===

Days went by.. Seohyun continued to visit her favorite spot, and there were times where she wished she would bump into Jung Yonghwa again. She did not exactly know why was she drawn towards him, but he was different from the guys who usually approached her. He was someone who could not care less about the social status, the partying, the flirting..he was..similar to her.

It was Friday, which means no school for the next two days. Seohyun decided that she wanted to be left alone to visit the book stores. She requested her butler to not fetch her, and told her friends that she would not be joining them for their usual tea sessions over at Jessica’s. She wanted to be normal, taking the public transport, looking at her surroundings. While waiting for her bus, she saw Jung Yonghwa walked towards her, with her handkerchief in his hand.

“Your handkerchief.” Yonghwa briefly said as he pushed them into her hands. “Is your arm better now?” Joohyun asked. Yonghwa nodded, without much of a reaction. “Look…why not accompany me to a book store as a form of repaying me. You’re someone who reads too right? I can introduce you some of my favorite books. Joohyun suddenly suggested. Just when Yonghwa was about to reject her, the bus came and Joohyun pulled him on together.

Jung Yonghwa was reluctant, but deep inside, he admits he wants to know more about Seo Joohyun. The girl who does not judge him, who helped him, considering the treatment he received from the majority in this prestigious school.


“Do you read stories about romance?” Seohyun suddenly said, breaking his train of thoughts. “No. It is not practical, romance only exists in fairytales.” Yonghwa said. “I do agree with you as a matter of fact, but a little fairytale in such a place we are living in now, I guess it helps restore a little faith in humanity. Women and men now tend to look for fun with one another, it is sad to see people play with love like that.” Seohyun said, with a tinge of regret in her eyes.

“Do you have a girlfriend? I forgot to ask, sorry for dragging you out like that.” She suddenly remembered. “No, I don’t.” Yonghwa replied, secretly amused by such a question. “I’m sorry, it’s just…hanging out with the same group of friends for too long, it makes me want to go out and make new friends, look at new people, mingle around instead of attending parties and all..This is when I genuinely feel like myself.” She smiled. “I’m hungry but I do not know where can we eat around here. It’s quite a secluded book store that I managed to spot when my butler drove past.”

“You eat tteokbokki?” Yonghwa asked. “Of course!” Seohyun beamed happily at his suggestion.

===

“I’m not fighting with you, can you please eat slowly? I’m not going to be liable if you choke.” Yonghwa stared at Seohyun stuffing spoonfuls into her already filled mouth. “I’m sorry….it’s just that…it’s been so long since…I’ve eaten something like that.” Seohyun explained while trying hard to make out her sentence. ”My parents forbids me from eating street food because of possibilities of food poisoning. But all these are sooo good!” Seohyun grinned.

They spent a few hours in the cosy bookstore, with tables and armchairs at a corner specially for people to read. It was comfortable, even though both of them were engrossed in the books they have picked. It was when Seohyun received a call from her housekeeper asking what time would she be back for dinner then she realized how late it was already.

“I need to go, it’s getting late. Thank you for today, Yonghwa-ssi, even though it may be against your will to be here.” Seohyun laughed a little. “Give me your cellphone!” She stretched her arms out. Yonghwa did not asked why, and handed her immediately. “There! Here’s my number, I’ve got your number too. Goodbye Yonghwa-ssi!” She then left the bookstore, leaving Yonghwa standing at the same spot, staring at her disappearing back view.

He was indeed attracted by her personality.

 

“Joohyun, you shouldn’t be out so late. You know your body..” Seohyun’s housekeeper Mdm Kim reminded her. “I know Mdm Kim, but I made a new friend today, and he loves reading as well, so we spent our afternoon at the bookstore I usually frequent.” Seohyun said happily. “A boy? Our Joohyunnie is a grown up already?” Mdm Kim teased. “It’s not like what you think.” Seohyun laughed as she bowed and excused herself into her room.

She walked towards her shelves of book collections and picked out her all-time favorite, then settled down at her study desk. Taking out a piece of paper, she carefully wrote a little message before attaching it on the book and kept it in her bag.

===

“This is for you!” Seohyun passed it to Yonghwa as she found him at her usual corner. “What is this?” He asked, staring at the book. “One of my favorite novels, it might not be a genre you enjoy or even believe in, but..this might be something you can gain inspiration from. You can keep it.” Seohyun said as she looked over the railings, where it oversees the college premises. Yonghwa shrugged his shoulders and kept the book inside his bag.

“I need to go, my unnies are waiting for me at the cafeteria, see you again real soon Yonghwa-ssi!” Seohyun said as she head towards the door. Everything happened a little too quickly for Yonghwa to comprehend but he managed to catch Seohyun before she fell to the ground.

“Seo Joohyun! What’s wrong with you! Seohyun!” Yonghwa carried her to the school’s clinic.

“Sorry Jung Yonghwa-ssi, but we will take over from here. We will appreciate if you do not mention this to anyone. Thank you for your help.” Seohyun’s butler, Mr Park said, as he ushered Yonghwa out of the clinic. Yonghwa was left puzzled with whatever that was happening. He wondered why they had to be so secretive with this, unless Seohyun had major health problems, which does not seemed to be the case.

He figured out that he will ask her when she has recovered.

But for a week, he did not see Seohyun in her class, or even at the library or her favorite spot. He was starting to get a little worried, then he remembered he had her number. Pondering if he should drop her message, he decided that he would do it, instead of worrying for nothing.

To his disappointment, she did not reply for another week. He was now considering whether to ask her friends. He decided that he will ask Tiffany, who is in the same class as him for one of the subjects. "Sorry Yonghwa, but we do not know anything as well. Her family is secretive when it comes to certain issues. She doesn't open up to us as much about her family." Tiffany said apologetically. "All of us are worried sick, but we know she's in good hands. I'm sure her family will protect and take care of her well." She continued.

 

All Yonghwa could do was to text and call Seohyun, hoping that one day she would see and reply his call and messages.

 

===

 

Yonghwa visited their private corner every single day, hoping to see Seohyun appearing there someday, and today was his lucky day. It was as though nothing happened, and that healthy Seohyun was sitting down at the corner engrossed in her book. "How are you?" Yonghwa asked as he went over to her a little too quickly. "Yonghwa-ssi? You're here. I'm fine, just caught a little cold." She explained. Yonghwa raised his eyebrows at her explanation. It certainly did not seemed like just a cold to him. But he decided that he probably should not probe too much and that she would tell him when she felt like it.

 

Yonghwa kept his silence. He did not know what to say, she did looked healthy now. While Seohyun on the other hand, was trying to steer the conversation away from herself. “Have you read the book?” She asked, trying to create a topic to break the silence. “Yeah, I finished reading it last week.” He replied. “How was it? Romantic isn’t it? I wished I could experience something like that, at least once in my life.” She said while looking at the scenery ahead of them. “Let’s hang out after school.” Seohyun suggested.

 

Seohyun nudged Yonghwa in the arm when she could not get a reply, “You have agreed then. I will see you at the gate after school!” She then stood up and took her bag, leaving him there alone.

“I’ve always wanted to visit Namsan Tower. It’s funny though, for the past 20 years of my life, I’ve never came up here before. I wanted to come with someone special.” Seohyun said, closed her eyes and enjoy the breeze. “Thank you for accompanying me, Yonghwa-ssi.” Yonghwa stared at Seohyun and suddenly felt worried, and he strongly felt that something was indeed wrong with her. He noticed she was shivering a little from the cold, and decided to pull her over to his body, afraid that her body is still weak.

“Jung Yonghwa-ssi, can you be my boyfriend?” Seohyun suddenly asked. Yonghwa was a little caught off guard, and was beginning to feel a little nervous. He did not know what to reply. “We can always try out..just like the characters in the book I gave you. We can probably work things out..” Seohyun said dreamily. It was unlike her character to be so bold, but today…she felt a sudden urge to fall in love.

“It’s okay if you do not want to…I was just suggesting you know, since the both of us are single.” She laughed awkwardly. Perhaps this wasn’t a good idea after all. Even so, she felt a tinge of sadness because Yonghwa probably would not accept things like that. But her sadness was replaced immediately when she felt Yonghwa’s lips on her forehead, hugging her even closer to him.

This is what it feels like to fall in love.

===

The first two months of a relationship, where everyone calls it the honeymoon period, however did not occur to Seohyun and Yonghwa. They were unlike the mushy couples calling each other baby and all, it was difficult for Yonghwa because he did not have prior experience, neither do Seohyun. They were just awkward in expressing their feelings, but it was still very comfortable to spend time with each other. Even if it is just reading books together at their private corner. Yonghwa’s heart beat often increase rapidly when Seohyun came a little too close or, if she accidentally fell asleep on his shoulder. Her scent was really captivating and it felt like he could really get used to this.

What Seohyun did not know was, Yonghwa secretly plants kisses on her forehead whenever she’s asleep. It gave him this unexplainable feeling whenever he does that, and he could not stop. It was just that day when luck was not on his side, he did the usual pecking on her forehead and inhaling her smell and oblivious that Seohyun was still awake, just resting her eyes. It was only then he noticed her staring at him after he has done his usual.

He did not know how to react, and could only look away and ahead, embarrassed for getting caught like that. Little did he expect, Seohyun closed the gap between them and kissed him on his lips, without detaching. Yonghwa was shocked, but followed his senses as they kissed slowly and lovingly, enjoying this special and precious moment carefully.

This is really love.

===

For the past six months, Yonghwa opened up to Seohyun. He was still the quiet boy, but he listened and gave her comfort and advices whenever she has problems. Seohyun was still the bubbly girl. But one day, Yonghwa stopped contacting Seohyun, she could no longer find him in their favorite corner, and used busy with finals as an excuse to not meet or talk to her. Seohyun was devastated, she couldn’t comprehend Yonghwa’s sudden change in attitude. The worst of all, she had no chance to ask him if she did anything wrong.

Everytime she stopped him along the way, he would just stare at her blankly and told her he could not talk. He became the Yonghwa everyone outcast again, and Seohyun’s friends were starting to get irritated by his treatment towards their little sister. They tried confronting him behind Seohyun’s back, but they could not get any reaction out of him. They decided that he was just weird and told Seohyun to forget and ignore him, she could find a much better man.

Besides that, her parents have been forcing her to meet the heir of one of the largest hotel chain, the Jung family, and insisted that they would be tying the knot after her graduation, which was two months away. No matter how much she begged, she could not get them to cancel the wedding. She met up a few times with Jung Yunho, and she became the quiet and troubled girl, reluctant to speak more than a yes or no as her reply.

Seohyun buried herself in her books every day, and when she was tired, she cried herself to sleep. She needed to see Yonghwa and she decided that she will go to his house since she has been there once when Yonghwa forgotten his wallet. Sitting at the road side with her head resting on her arms and knees about to fall asleep anytime soon, she felt someone tapping her on her arm. It was Yonghwa.

She stood up quickly and hugged him tightly, and the ordeal she experienced from the past few weeks came out as tears rushed down her face. “What are you doing here? It’s already 11PM.” Yonghwa questioned, he was a little mad at her for ignoring her safety. “Why are you ignoring me?” She sobbed. “I’m busy with finals. I need to concentrate, haven’t I told you that already?” Yonghwa said coldly. “You’re lying, we were good back then! Yong please…” Seohyun said desperately.

“You said we could try out this relationship, and that if nothing works out, we can always call it off. Now I’m calling it off.” Yonghwa said emotionlessly, blinking a little to maintain his composure. “I-I thought we were good. Yong..all these time we’ve spent together..Isn’t that sufficient and safe to say we are okay?” Seohyun said, very confused with the situation. “Perhaps to you, but I don’t think we are compatible. I will get your butler to fetch you home.” He replied. “Yong please don’t do this to me…my parents are forcing me to get married to someone I don’t love, I can’t do this. Take me away!” Seohyun cried as she tugged him on his arms, begging him. He wasn't shocked by her words, but it cuts his hearts to hear it from her. “They are your parents, you should listen to them.” With that, Yonghwa pulled his arm away from Seohyun and walked into his house, leaving her outside crying on her knees. He called her butler to fetch her back, and he looked out of the window to make sure she’s safe.

Tonight, he broke the heart of the girl he fell in love with. The one and only girl.

===

Seohyun disappeared from school for the next two weeks, nobody knew what happened to her again. Her family has completely shut off contact, and has requested that she would be taking her finals in their home premises. Her friends resented Yonghwa, but they could not do anything because by hurting him, they would only hurt Seohyun further.

It was only after that when Yoona received a text from Seohyun asking if she could join them at the club on their usual Wednesday night. Nobody asked her what happened for the past two weeks, and nobody mentioned anything about Yonghwa. They did not want to mention anything that might trigger and break their little sister’s heart again. In fact, Seohyun even brought Yunho along to join them, announcing to them that he was her fiancé. They were shocked of course, unsure about her decision, but congratulated her anyway.

Just then, it was announced that Yonghwa was the DJ for the night in the club, and Seohyun froze at the announcement. She knew Yonghwa had a thing for music, but she did not know he actually started working as a DJ. “Joohyun-ah, are you alright? Let’s change another place.” Taeyeon asked worriedly. “N-no..I’m fine. Let’s just enjoy ourselves.” Seohyun smiled slightly. It was expected, she lost her focus the whole night, staring at Yonghwa whenever she could. The man whom she first fell in love with.

Yunho had an urgent meeting to attend to, and promised that he would come back to fetch her when he was done, to which earned the cheers of Seohyun’s friends for being a gentleman. But Seohyun did not really care, thoughts of her break up with Yonghwa kept hunting her, and little did she know, she had drank more than what she could handle. Her friends were dancing at the dance floor when she had the sudden urge to puke. She quickly made her way to the washroom hoping that she could keep it in before she reaches.

Just then, she was stopped by a guy who was trying to hit on her, telling her a beauty like her should not be left alone to drink and offered to accompany her. She had no strength to shrug him off and could only try hard to push her way through him. “Stop it, she has a boyfriend already.” The familiar voice she once enjoyed listening to suddenly sounded. The voice whom she yearned to hear. Turning around to confirm, she accidentally puke on Yonghwa while he held her body to keep her stable, grabbing her hair to prevent the content from staining it.

Yonghwa led her to a quiet room and settled her down, giving her a warm glass of water and a clean towel to wipe her face while he went out to change. When he came back to check on her, she was holding her temples, massaging her head as the alcohol after effect was torturing. “What am I to you..” Seohyun broke the silence. “Am I really….nothing to you?” She suddenly started crying. “Yong, please tell me, tell me what’s going on, I can change it. I will change, I will make things work. Please, as long as you come back to me..I will….”

“You can’t. Because I do not want us to happen.” Yonghwa said cruelly, once again the pain in his chest strike hard. “No! You’re lying!!!! Are you seeing another girl? Am I really not worthy???” She shouted.

“Seo Joohyun.” Yonghwa warned. It was getting out of hand. The love Seohyun had for Yonghwa was slowly killing her and he could see them all. “Yong…How does it feel like to play with my heart?” Seohyun laughed hysterically, tears flowing down her pretty face.

“You are drunk. Let’s talk again when you are sober.” Yonghwa said sternly. He was slowly getting mad. The bubbly and positive girl he once knew and fell in love with was slowly disappearing. “I must have looked like an idiot in your eyes all these while. I really thought we our relationship would work.” Seohyun was clearly drunk, both physically and mentally in miserable.

“I’m leaving.” Yonghwa said as he stood up. He did not know why he treated her with such coldness. Actually he did. In fact, she did nothing wrong. Seohyun hugged Yonghwa from the back before he could leave. “You are leaving me again. It’s okay Yong..you know I will always love you. But I am tired already…I do not have any strength left to chase after you. This time round…I’m leaving first. He’s fetching me. I am accepting his proposal.” She turned him to face her, caressing his cheeks before giving him the last kiss then make her way to the car that has been waiting for her. “I love you.” She whispered.

It was too similar, seeing her fall to the ground again, as though someone replayed the whole scene in front of him. He watched her fragile body hit the ground once again. His heart beat accelerated, scared and nervous. He wished he did not hurt her so badly, he wished he did not take up her innocent suggestion in the first place, maybe she would not suffer like that.

But being with him, her life would be much more miserable, and he couldn’t let that happen. Her parents were right, he was the one unworthy of her love, but what can he do to make her feel better? He couldn't. Hence he did not fight for her, and left her with Yunho whom he knows will take good care of her.


First time writing an eight pages one-shot. Story is a little rush but I just wanna share it without having parts of it. Yonghwa's MV is sooo good, I'm so proud of him. And Seohyun's musical <3