2-4

Bits and Pieces

 

Holding onto Seohyun’s hands tightly, Changmin slowly succumbed to fatigue. He managed to stay awake for two days, finally taking in food after much persuasion from his parents, Seohyun’s parents and his friends. He fell into a deep sleep and was awoken by the sound of the machines. The usual pulsing sounds had turned into a continuous beep that sounded loudly and threateningly. Almost immediately, he pressed the emergency button and rushed out of the room and screamed for the nurses and doctors for help. Running back, Changmin called out Seohyun’s name, begging her to regain her normal self. It was not long before Seohyun was back into the operating theatre, with Changmin left outside the operating room with his palms covering his face. For a moment, he was angry by the fact that no matter how sincerely he had prayed, his requests were not answered. But he continued on doing so, because he was feeling helpless, and there was nobody else to turn to. He prayed for miracles to happen.

Seohyun’s family and their friends gathered outside the ward. Worries, fear all written over their faces. The doctor finally came out, and Changmin again, rushed towards him holding onto the doctor’s shoulders. “Her heart rate has regained to normal, everything’s fine but we do not know when will she regain her consciousness.” The doctor gave Changmin an assuring smile and left.

=====

The stress was taking a toll on Changmin’s health. It has been a week since Seohyun was unconscious. Being the successor of his father’s company, he had heavy responsibilities, going to and fro the hospital and company. Changmin’s father’s health was also affected by his favorite daughter-in-law’s condition, and was upset to see his son’s current state. Two days later, Changmin was found unconscious in his own office when his secretary went into his room to pass him some documents to review. It was nothing too serious, just lack of rest and overstressed out, but that was enough to make his family and friends worry sick.

 The next afternoon when Changmin went to the hospital to visit Seohyun during his lunch break, he was shocked to see her bed in the Intensive Care unit empty and properly made. His heart cringed for the moment and walked towards the nurse’s table, demanding her location. “Sorry Mr Shim, but Miss Seo has already been shifted to the normal ward.” The nurse smiled. Nothing could be used to express the happiness Changmin felt. Seohyun was recovering well, he walked briskly to the assigned ward and saw his beautiful bride to be sitting down on the bed while talking to other patients. He was so happy to see her healthy and awake, he stand at the door and stare at her once again sparkling bright eyes.

“Oppa!” Seohyun turned back to look in curious as she saw other patients staring at Changmin in awe. Without any words, he rushed over to her and hugged her tightly. “I missed you, so much, so so so much.” He said, and the tears he managed to keep it fell instantly. “Oppa…I’m so so so sorry.” Seohyun smiled, happy to see her fiancé’s face. His tired look made her heart ache so much. “Sorry for making you worry.”

“Thank you for returning to my side safely and healthily.” Changmin said. “I love you baby.”

“I love you too.”