3-4

Bits and Pieces

Seohyun managed to beg Yonghwa to accompany her back to her hotel. She then requested that he come in for a cup of tea before leaving, trying to seize as much time as she can to talk to him. Yonghwa tried his best to keep a distance from Seohyun after her sudden hug when she saw him at the park. He did not know why this stranger was acting so friendly. Was she usually this intimate with strangers who have helped her? Or was she simply out of her mind?

Not wanting to disappoint Seohyun, Yonghwa finally agreed but to only stay for a while and he will leave. He walked into the room and looked around awkwardly, not knowing what to say. “Yong..what have you been doing for the past two years? Your family and friends were very worried about you.” Seohyun said as she settled down after giving Yonghwa a cup of tea. “What do you mean my family and friends? Do I know you?” Yonghwa asked, puzzled about the situation. Seohyun was mentally prepared when she realized that Yonghwa could not recognize her at the park, however, her heart still ache when Yonghwa asked if he actually knew her. Afterall, they have been together for five years, excluding the first time they met and the two years he went missing. “Yeah…. We knew each other since nine years ago, we attended the same college.” Seohyun said, disappointment and hurt shown clearly on her face. “I’m sorry if I said anything to upset you. But all I could remember was waking up in the hospital, so I started working there and they provided me with a place to stay.” Yonghwa explained, somehow feeling her emotions.

“Oh…how are you?” Seohyun asked worriedly. “I’m healthy, fully recovered.” Yonghwa smiled at her. “I know you might be wondering why am I dragging you all the way from the park back here and you may be doubtful of what I’ve told you, but I have no ill intentions. All I hope is to bring you back to your family. They were really worried about you, they thought you have already…” Her voice slowly faded away, “died…”

“I’m sorry, but I’m happy with my life now. I…can’t leave with you when I have no memories of what have happened in the past.” Yonghwa said. “Yong..please…go back with me. It’s impossible for me to leave you here when I’ve finally managed to find you after two years.” Tears started streaming down her beautiful face. Yonghwa became confused and did not know what to do when he saw Seohyun crying. He walked over to her and kneeled down, taking her hand in his. “Hey…don’t cry. I’m sorry for whatever I’ve said to make you upset. I-I promise to spend some time with you to understand more about my past.” Yonghwa said whatever he could think of to make her stop crying.

Seohyun looked up slowly as she wiped her tears on her sleeves. “R-Really…? You really will try, Yong?” She asked slowly, unable to believe he would be so gentle to her even though she was now a stranger to him. “Yeah, only if you stop crying.” Yonghwa smiled, trying to strike a deal with her. “Okay! Thank you so much, Yong!” Seohyun said happily as she hugged him again. Afraid that he would upset her again, Yonghwa decided to stay still and accept the hug, it felt somehow a little familiar about this warmth, but he shrugged off the thought as something he has never felt before.

“By the way…do you always call me by the name of ‘Yong’?” Yonghwa asked, since Seohyun has been calling him that when she first met him. “Yeah, that was my nickname for you, and you used to call me Hyun.” Seohyun smiled. “H…hyun?” Yonghwa tried to pronounce her name. “It’s okay, you can just call me Seohyun since you probably forgot how you addressed me.” Seohyun said. “Can you lie beside me and pat my back till I fall asleep?” She suddenly asked, badly missing the routine two years ago. “I…al-alright….if it makes you feel better.” Yonghwa hesitated but agreed.

“Thank you, Yong. Goodnight.” Seohyun said as she closed her eyes, suddenly fatigue hitting her after the long day of events.