12-5

Bits and Pieces

Seohyun frowned at Yoona’s message as she sat in her office. ‘7pm at this venue, you better turn up or your poor sister will be so embarrassed!’ It read. She did not know her sister was so efficient when it comes to finding her a match since she only told her of the intention to find a partner last night over dinner. Her sister was literally jumping in joy when she heard about it and immediately took action. 

She decided that she would give it a try, to at least try to move on from Yunho. Who knows, she might be able to find someone as good as him, or rather, someone whom she feels comfortable with. With a positive mindset, she went back to work.

Seohyun had several discussions with Yunho and she went back to her old self – purely work discussion. She did not highlight what happened with Yuri the day before and handled everything professionally. She also could not find a reason to tell Yunho that she was going for a matchmaking session with a guy because they were technically no longer in a relationship.

When Yunho asked her to join him for dinner, she declined politely and said she had something on, to which Yunho accepted since he kind of expected that she would reject him. It was 6pm in a blink of an eye and she got ready to leave the company. After touching up her makeup and straightening her outfit, she headed towards the carpark and went to the arranged venue.

The restaurant was situated up on a hill and the view was breathtaking. The person who chose this spot must have good taste, she thought. Walking into the restaurant, she told the server her name and was automatically led to the table reserved for them. It was placed beside the full length glass window and there was no one there when the server showed her the table, so she waited a little while sipping the wine she ordered and enjoyed the scenery.

Seohyun was too absorbed in the view that she did not realize that someone actually took the seat opposite her. “Hi Seohyun.” The guy greeted her cheerfully. Puzzled as to how the guy knew her name, she was a little shocked when he was none other than her colleague Jaejoong. “Kim Jaejoong? What are you doing here? You have a date?” Seohyun asked as she smiled. “Yes, in fact, I do have a date.” He smiled. “Ah….then shouldn’t you be waiting for her somewhere?” She looked at him.  “Well she’s already here.” He said. “Eh? Then…shouldn’t you be meeting her instead of sitting here?” Seohyun was getting more confused. “I’m already talking to her.” Jaejoong smirked. Seohyun stared at Jaejoong for awhile before realizing that the date he was supposed to meet was her. “You..you are my match made partner?” She asked Jaejoong again to confirm. “Yeap.” He answered simply with amusement shown on his face.

‘I’m going to kill you, Yoona-unnie!’ Seohyun thought to herself. Out of so many guys, why would she find one from her company! Now everyone would know that she needs to attend matchmaking sessions to get a guy. “I….uhm..this must be a mistake right?” It was awkward and at the same time embarrassing to have your colleague as the partner. “Your face spells awkward, Seohyun, why not just relax and enjoy each other’s company tonight. We are colleagues, it would be nice to know each other better instead of treating this like a match making session.” Jaejoong suggested. He was right, match making was just a term. 

“Well..alright. Then what are we waiting for? Let’s order dinner. I’m starving.” Seohyun changed from a little skeptical to amusement as she flipped through the menu. “Your treat right?” She added while laughing behind the menu with just her eyes showing. “Fine..” Jaejoong agreed then laughed. The dinner was surprisingly enjoyable and they actually had a lot to share with each other. Jaejoong also shared that he and Yunho are almost like brothers, especially the last five years when Yunho put his all in work hence his achievements today. He could only remember Yunho as a workaholic, hence he was surprised when Yunho announced he was getting married. 

Seohyun nodded her head at the information provided. She somehow knew that she was part of the reason why Yunho had turned to work. It was getting late and they decided to end the night since they still have work the next day. Jaejoong offered to send Seohyun back but she rejected politely, saying that she wanted to drop by somewhere before going back. Jaejoong then asked her to stay safe before leaving her.

She suddenly felt a strong surge of sadness embracing her when she was alone. Sometimes, she could not help to wonder what would have been now if she did not left Yunho five years ago. Would they be the one getting married instead? She could not imagine. It was still hard to have Yuri suffering because of her. On the other hand, it was also hard to imagine Yunho suffering. There is no win or lose in love, she thought she understood that meaning very clearly that night.

The next morning, Jaejoong went over to Seohyun’s office to pass her some documents. They greeted each other casually and asked if they got home safely. Jaejoong joked that of course he got back safely else he would not be standing here talking to her, to which Seohyun rolled her eyes. Little did they know, Yunho walked past her office and overheard their conversation. Deep inside he was boiling mad, knowing that Seohyun met another man behind his back. He decided to interrupt the two by knocking on Seohyun’s door and asked her to go to his office.

Seohyun excused herself and made her way there. She was feeling a little uneasy since Yunho’s eyes were hard and cold when he entered her office. “What the hell were you doing with Jaejoong last night?” Yunho questioned her when she closed his office door, his tone was scary and cold, and she did not like it. “You called me in for this? I don’t think I need to report my personal life to you right?” Seohyun retorted. “Answer me!” Yunho raised his voice. “We were match made by mutual parties. Are you happy now?” Seohyun too was getting mad. Who is Yunho to question her like that? Heck he’s a married man now, and she does not have to report to him about her life!

“And you actually agreed to it? You’re really cruel Seo Joohyun.” Yunho said quietly before leaving the room, leaving Seohyun behind. Seohyun was feeling lost again when she saw Yunho leaving the room. It felt like a pillar of support that was there for a moment disappeared. She did not actually think that she would hurt Yunho again, but she did. And she was regretting now, she was hurting herself as well. 

She could not leave Yunho’s office and let other colleagues see her cry. Sitting down on the sofa in Yunho’s office, she covered her face with her hands and sobbed quietly, until she was ready to face anyone without breaking down. Perhaps, resigning would be the most appropriate option. Yuri would be relieved, while Yunho..at least he would not get reminded of their past.

Yunho went to the private rooftop specially catered for the CEO in the office building to get a breather. He knew he was being ridiculous when Seohyun was not obligated to stay ‘faithful’ to him. But he did not think that Seohyun would actually find another guy, especially after he has once again confessed his love for her and asked for a chance. Her actions made him confused when she herself said that she still loves him. So what made her changed her mind and went for a match making session? He really could not understand her. His phone vibrated and he exhaled in frustration. It was Yuri sending him the details of the gathering, and as much as he did not want to be present, he had an obligation to do so.

When Yunho stepped into the restaurant, he saw his and Yuri’s parents engaging in conversations while Yuri sat there looking a little nervous, as though she was afraid Yunho would not turn up for the gathering. He knocked on the door of the private room and cleared his throat to announce his presence. “Yunho-yah!” His father called him. Yunho bowed to his in-laws and his parents before making his way to his seat beside Yuri. “I see you have been busy Yunho, I haven’t seen you every time I visit your house!” Mrs Kwon mentioned politely. “Yeah, I’ve been very busy with work.” He replied. “Spend some time with Yuri, Yunho-ah. She is your wife!” Mrs Jung said. “It’s alright, our daughter will understand. Yunho is a very busy man! Of course he has no time to be lazing at home!” Mr Kwon defended. Dinner was served and the gathering went on smoothly. Yunho was getting bored and he was far too concerned with other issues than to stay there.

When tea was served after all the main courses, they started discussing about when the newlywed couple should start conceiving. Yuri was shifting on her seat uncomfortably, politely saying that it was too soon since it was only months after their marriage and they wanted to spend time alone before welcoming another member to the house. The elders started comparing that they already had them at their age and that her reason and excuse was not sufficient. “I have something to say.” Yunho suddenly spoke after keeping his silence, and the rest stopped their conversation to listen to him. Yuri grabbed Yunho’s arm to stop him, somehow knowing what he was going to tell them. 

Removing Yuri’s grip from his hand, he stood up and cleared his throat. “I’m very sorry, but I don’t this this marriage will work out the way you all wanted.” He said solemnly. The elders were in shocked and thought that Yunho was joking, to only realize he was very serious. “What are you talking about, son!” Mr Jung stood up as well. “We have not been staying together since the wedding day.” Yunho revealed, to only get a heated reaction from both sides parents. 

“You bastard! I entrusted my daughter to you! How dare you treat her like that!” Mr Kwon stood up, shaking Yunho in the shoulders and cursing at him. Yunho did not retaliate, instead, stood still and let the latter do whatever. He was tired of fighting with Yuri, tired of lying to his parents, and Yuri’s parents. It was time to take the step and end this misery for both parties. They have wasted enough time. On the other hand, Yuri sat on her seat, betrayal and embarrassment could be seen on her face. She did not expect Yunho to embarrass her in front of her own parents. Tired of the yelling in the room, she took her bag and ran out of the restaurant.

“Yuri-ah!!” Her parents called. They took their belongings and stood up. “Never come near to my daughter again! You will hear from our lawyers soon!!” Was what the Kwon family told him before they left to go after their daughter.

“What the hell did you just do!” Mr Jung said, as he slapped Yunho in anger. “We don’t need the Kwons to expand our business.” Yunho simply said, unaffected by the pain in his cheeks. “You are only married for six months, how are we going to announce it to everyone! You are a disgrace!” Mr Jung yelled before leaving the room, dragging his wife with him.

Yunho drove to Seohyun’s apartment that night, walking through her door without Seohyun’s approval despite her questioning of what he was doing at her place. When she did not get a reply, she could only sigh in defeat as she closed the door. Before she could turn around to question his presence again, she was pulled roughly towards him and he kissed her intensely.