3-2

Bits and Pieces

 

“Seohyun-ah…Did you…did you saw the news?” Seohyun received a call from her best friend, Yoona. “No, I was with a client. Why Unnie, what happened?” Seohyun asked cheerfully. “Th-the plane…Yonghwa is on…has crashed.” Yoona said slowly, afraid that Seohyun could not digest the news. “Unnie! Don’t make such a joke..It’s…it’s impossible.” Seohyun tried to shove Yoona’s words out of her mind. “Seo…it’s true…” The line went dead. Seohyun rushed to the television, trying to catch the news to see if Yoona was joking with her. And to her horror, it was the truth. Yonghwa’s plane did crash and the rescue team only managed to save a handful of survivors.

“This…this can’t be true…” Seohyun mumbled as she fell on the sofa. The sudden news had drained away the energy in her body. She then took out her handphone and called Yonghwa’s mother to clarify, but the reply she got was the news she dreaded. For months, she tried to locate Yonghwa, going to police station begging them to search thoroughly, but to no avail. It was the most depressing period of her life, and it was Yoona who was there to tolerate her emotions. It took her nearly a year to accept the fact that Yonghwa is gone for good. Seohyun almost did something foolish when she could no longer feel up the emptiness that Yonghwa left. It was too heartbreaking, her life without him. Even Yonghwa’s parents felt the heartache and pleaded her to move on, not wanting to see her in this state.

=====

“I miss you. Really…really miss you, Yong.” Seohyun whispered lightly as she overlooked the mansion, clutching onto the necklace Yonghwa gave her on their first anniversary. It was never difficult to recollect their memories, it was as though everything happened just yesterday, she could still remember the day before Yonghwa left for Japan for a 3 days seminar. They spent their night together here talking about their future. And their future was gone the next day. Seohyun sighed as she walked back to her car.

=====

“How’s your day?” Jinwoon asked as they settled down at their usual restaurant whenever they meet up. “Busy with work, but it was good. How about you?” Seohyun smiled as she sipped her tea. “I was pretty busy too…and most importantly…I miss you.” Jinwoon said. Seohyun flinched slightly at the sentence, it sounded weird coming from another guy’s mouth, but she managed to hide it from Jinwoon by stifling an awkward smile. “About the proposal…” Jinwoon tried to ask for her answer. “I’m sorry Jinwoon…I guess I’m still not ready.” She could no longer make use of Jinwoon’s feelings, telling him the truth would be better. “I can wait.” Jinwoon said firmly. “No…I’m sorry. I guess you know about my past, I don’t think I can ever get out of that. Please, don’t waste your time on a girl like me. You deserve better.” Seohyun said apologetically.

They ended on a good note. Jinwoon was really understanding, even though he still insisted on waiting, at least until his feelings have faded. Seohyun on the other hand felt relieved. The feeling of having a partner was good, but it still did not fill up the emptiness she had in her heart. Nobody could make her feel the same way as Yonghwa did.

“Aunty, how are you?” Seohyun bowed as the cheerful lady gestured her to sit. “Seohyun-ah, remember what I told you? Call me Eomma!” Yonghwa’s mother reminded her. “Yes Eomma, how are you?” Seohyun smiled. “I’ve been fine, helping Yonghwa’s Appa with his business, how about you, the last time I saw you, it seems like you lost weight again.” Yonghwa’s mother shook her head disapprovingly. “Of course not…maybe it’s just the way I dress.” Seohyun tried to come out with an excuse. “Is it? So, how are things with your boyfriend? When are you going to invite me to your wedding?” Yonghwa’s mother joked.

“Th-There’s nothing of such sort!” Seohyun blushed. “Really? So you have no boyfriend now?” His mother raised her eyebrow. “Well…this guy Yoona introduced to me few months ago, he actually proposed to me last week…but…I rejected him.” Seohyun explained, not wanting to lie to her.

“And why is that so?” Yonghwa’s mother asked. “Because…I’m not ready.” Seohyun smiled sadly. “Seohyun-ah…how many times do I have to tell you,  please move on. Our son is lucky to have you, but he did not have the blessings. Give other guys a chance, you deserve to be love.” Yonghwa’s mother reprimanded lightly. In Yonghwa’s mother’s heart, she was aching for this girl, how could she go through such a fate when she was such an angel. To her, Seohyun is just like a daughter she never had.

“I know…but it takes time. Soon…Let’s eat, shall we? I’m famished.” Seohyun tried to change the topic.