12-2

Bits and Pieces

Seohyun went back to her rented apartment near the office when work ended. She was informed that she has to follow Yunho to China the following week for a business trip to advise him on certain legal issues and she dreaded the idea very much. It was as though she was going to be stuck with him and the awkward atmosphere between them did not help as well. What was Yunho thinking when he realized she was his new Advisor? Was he happy? Or was he angry at the sight of her? His facial expression gave nothing away. She was confused, and the feelings and guilt that were buried long ago all came back again. She needed to move on, after all, Yunho was already a married man. 

She took a warm and slow shower then prepared a simple dinner for herself before closing her eyes to her favorite classical music. It was only the first day of work and she has never felt so emotionally drained before.

Flashback

“I can’t do this Yunho..you have a fiancée, I don’t want to be a third party in this relationship anymore.” Seohyun declared as Yunho stood outside her door staring at her, eyes begging. After so many months of happiness, she decided to abandon their relationship in a blink of an eye. When she was offered a space in one of the universities overseas, she took it without any hesitation. Her guilt was eating her up and she could not imagine the pain she has put another woman through. “Seohyun, you know that this is just a forced arranged marriage. You were never the third party.” Yunho reasoned. “I am! Because I knew you through her, this is wrong. I’m sorry.” Seohyun shook her head as she closed her door quickly before Yunho could stop her.

She knew Yunho stayed outside her apartment the entire night, but she could not open the door. She knew she would give in and all her efforts to keep him away would be gone in that instance. She had to be firm in her decision. She began packing that night, and when she realized Yunho was no longer at her doorstep in the morning, she took a cab to the airport and left. Her heart broken, but it is alright. At least she will stop hurting an innocent party.

It was hard to go into another relationship since then. There were many guys who showed interest in her, she did try, but she could not. Nobody could give her the sense of security and attention like Yunho did. It was difficult to be in another guy’s presence without having Yunho as a comparison. It made her missed Yunho even more when she was far away from him. That was when she stopped giving in to other guy’s requests of asking her out. She decided that it was just a waste of time as she put all her time and effort into studying.

===

“Hi you’re Seohyun right? The new Advisor to Yunho.” Someone she did not know walked into her office that morning. Seohyun looked up from her documents then took a moment to observe hima little before nodding her head. He has short and neat jet black hair with fringe up till his eyebrows, very fair, and good looking actually. “Yes, I am. How can I help you?” She replied. “I’m Jaejoong, working directly under Yunho. I don’t think he has informed you about that yet, judging from your facial expression.” He said. And he’s right, the last conversation she had with Yunho was the one she begged for him to keep their relationship the professional manner. “No he did not.” She said simply. “Well…I’m going to have to brief you about this upcoming business contract before you guys leave. There were some tricky matters regarding the contract so I will need to discuss and hear your opinion.” Jaejoong explained.

“Sure, we can discuss it now actually.” Seohyun said as she gestured for him to take a seat. Jaejoong was very friendly and she could easily express her opinions. He was very different from Yunho in so many ways and he makes her feel comfortable. “Thank you for your time Seohyun, have a safe trip next week.” Jaejoong said as he stood up then offered his hand to Seohyun. “Thank you Jaejoong, I will keep you updated on the progress once we are there.” Seohyun took his hand. “Well a little advice when you travel with Yunho, he can be a little difficult at times.” Jaejoong smirked as he said it a little softer since her room door was left opened. Seohyun chuckled at his remark as she nodded as Jaejoong left her room. Who would have knew him better? Or maybe not. It has already been five years.

She picked up the document and went over to Yunho’s office, the door was closed and despite knocking, there was no response. Thinking that he may be out of office, she decided that she will leave the document on his table. To her surprise, she found him lying on his arms and taking a nap on the table. Taking a closer look, she realized he was still wearing the same outfit from yesterday. The stack of documents were opened and spread out messily, he must be really busy, Seohyun thought. She took out a blanket from the closet and put it across his shoulder to keep him warm before leaving the room.

Yunho woke up when he heard his room door closed. He knew it was Seohyun because his secretary would never dare to interrupt him when his room door is closed. Furthermore, her perfume that she has not changed since five years ago, he could remember the scent so clearly. He loosened his shirt a little before sorting out the documents and continued with work. He has to submit this contract before leaving for China and he needed Seohyun’s advice on some of the aspects.

Four hours later, he printed the draft proposal and went over to Seohyun’s office. She was too focused on typing on her laptop that she did not realized Yunho was standing in front of her desk. “I need your help with this contract.” Yunho said as he took his seat. Taking the document from him, Seohyun scanned through the document and frowned. “Mr Jung..this particular section is very complicated, I think you will need to specify the details clearer.” Seohyun said as she continued to read the document. Yunho flinched at the term she had used to address him. So she meant it when she asked to maintain a professional relationship. 

“Explain.” His tone was quiet but somehow had a strong message in it. Seohyun looked up from the document as her eyes met Yunho’s. He was staring at her angrily, and she knew he was unhappy with the way she addressed him. But she had no other choice, he was after all, her boss, and this is the right way to address him.

“The terms stated are too vague, we might get into some legal issues should they decide to find fault with us. This would be a safer way to prevent any possible backlash.” Seohyun explained. She looked up again when there was no response from Yunho. “I’m sorry, was I speaking too quickly?” She asked when Yunho was still staring at her.

“Do not call me Mr Jung, Seo Joohyun.” Yunho said as he stood up and left her room. He was mad and he needed to get out before he did something he might regret. Part of him felt a little disappointed. After all these years, was he still the only one whom holds on to the feelings between them? At times, he felt like he no longer knew her anymore. He wanted to talk to her, asked her why did she left him, but his pride could not bear to do so. He was hurt badly by her back then.

What do you do when you feel so helpless? When you are disturbed by the fact that the person whom you care about the most is angry at you. You want to apologise to him, to make sure that you two are alright again, but it is so difficult to approach him.

Seohyun leaned against her chair and shut her eyes. Attempting to ignore Yunho is difficult, much more difficult than studying for her exams. Her emotions were constantly unstable, Yunho is like someone she really want to be with but could not.