8-4

Bits and Pieces

Days spent together with Yunho was fun. Yunho brought Seohyun around places that she had never went before. Her favorite was at the top of the hill where they caught the sunset together. That was also the time when Yunho plucked up his courage and asked Seohyun to be his girlfriend. Of course, Seohyun was nervous, her heart hammering loudly and rapidly against her chest. She could not utter a single word, and only managed a shy nod, with her eyes looking down at her feet. Yunho brought the surprise to a whole new level, stretching to the back as he put on a customized necklace around her neck.

"Yunho.." Seohyun said softly. She was beyond touched, as she held the necklace and saw their initials engraved on it. "I'm sorry I didn't ask your opinion on this, but I wanted it to be a surprise." He smiled. "Thank you for everything." She whispered as he hugged her. "No, thank you for accepting me, for who I am." He said.

When Seohyun met up with her unnies, she was surrounded by them as they started interrogating her one by one. They were all shocked that their little sister have finally found a boyfriend, without their knowledge. "Hyun! You've really grown up! I'd have to compliment your taste in guys!" Tiffany said as she shuffled Seohyun's head. "Tell us if he bullies you, he would not get by easily with the 8 of us here!!" Sooyoung added. "Ahhhh our little sister...I feel like crying. It feels like I'm marrying my daughter away." Hyoyeon exclaimed. And all Seohyun could do was to stand between them and blush, feeling blessed for their existence and their love.

===

What is love? I guess it gives people happiness, that any amount of money can never give you. But of course, the cons it brings about, the damage to a person's heart and feelings, is as huge as the amount of happiness it can give. Seohyun was sure that Yunho was the man she was looking for, she was sure that despite him not meeting all the requirements she has set beforehand, the good about him made up for the little flaws. He was her first love, her first relationship. She was inexperienced, she did not know much about commitment, about inviting another person into her life and be part of each other. She was taking baby steps. What she knew was, it is only true and fair to treat the person with care and love, with trust.

===

"Oppa, I'm meeting my friends for dinner tonight, will be home late!" Seohyun said as she walked into the living room. It has been a year since the two of them started dating, and Seohyun agreed to move into Yunho's apartment just to spend more time with him. Yunho worked for his father at his company and he decided to start low before taking over his father's position some day, when he is ready. "Your friends? Your unnies?" Yunho asked as he looked up from his laptop. "Nope, my other group of friends, you know, Nicole, Jinwoon, Key, Minho and the rest..." Seohyun replied. "Minho?! The guy who texted you few days ago?" He raised his eyebrow questioningly. "Oppa..we're not going there again, are we?" Seohyun sighed.

Just few days back, Yunho was throwing a small fit when he saw Minho's name flashing on Seohyun's phone while she was bathing. It was hard not to feel insecure, with his girlfriend being so popular with guys whenever she goes. Besides, Jinwoon is also now part of this group of friends that Seohyun constantly mixes with ever since her unnies started to graduate one by one.

"I trust you, I just don't trust those guys. Tell me the location, I will pick you up." Yunho said, and Seohyun knew better from the tone of his voice that nothing she says will make him change his mind. "Fine, I will text you tomorrow."

The second incident happened, when Yunho accidentally chanced upon a comment left by Minho on Seohyun's facebook. "You cutie! See you tomorrow!!" Minho commented on Seohyun's profile. "You cutie?!" Yunho exclaimed as his eyes opened widely. "What the hell is wrong with this guy! Seo Joohyun!" He said. "Oppa! Minho is just joking, why do you always take things so seriously!!" Seohyun said, breathing deeply trying to control her emotions. "Obviously he isn't joking! And why are you always taking his side, have you fallen for him?!" Yunho said angrily. Without saying anything, Seohyun switched off her computer and left the table without taking a second look at Yunho. Unlike normal days, Seohyun went to the guest room and locked the door.

She was getting tired from the constant arguments arising stupid small matters. Why does Yunho not understand? A girl with a boyfriend is not supposed to have other guy friends? Why is he so sensitive? Does he not trust her? All these questions flashed in her mind constantly, and she could not close her eyes in peace. Her head was exploding with questions, and most importantly, she was tired from all these arguments. Yunho constantly checked her phone to see if any guys messaged her, constantly texting her whereabouts, constantly calling her just to check on her.

Does going into a relationship forbids one to make friends with the opposite gender, having to forsake all the freedom that she had before? She did not want to think this way, but it was hard not to, looking at their current situation.

The two of them did not talk for 2 days, barely acknowledging each other, unwilling to put down their pride to talk to one another first, and Seohyun was getting tired from it. She decided to visit Yunho at his office to talk things out, she love him, and she was hurt by their attitude towards each other now. Holding a cup of Yunho's favorite Java Chip Frappuccino, she walked towards the building, to only stop when she saw Yunho talking to another girl happily.

Unlike Seohyun, the girl was dressed in a smart corporate attire, giving off a classy yet feminine vibe. The girl looked so confident as she spoke to Yunho, and Yunho was also laughing at whatever conversation they were having. Was this the feeling Yunho had been experiencing when he saw Minho's messages? This sour feeling, this urge to go up to him and question his action.

But despite all these thoughts in Seohyun's head, she decided to leave quietly, disposing the drink she got for him in the bin. She didn't want to create a ruckus outside in the public, and perhaps this was her punishment for failing to realize Yunho's feelings.

"You're home?" Seohyun said as she heard Yunho unlock the door, removing his shoes. "Yeah.." Yunho said quietly. "Oppa.." "Joohyun I've got something I need to discuss with you." Yunho intercepted Seohyun. She looked at him, urging him to go on. "I've decided to take up this business opportunity, and will be leaving for 2 years."

"2 years...?! That's too long.." Seohyun said as she looked at Yunho in shock, unsure if his decision was due to their recent conflicts. "My father needs my help at the headquarters of New York. There's no one else he could trust the position to for now, so I've volunteered to take over." Yunho said. "Oppa..do you think by leaving right now, our relationship can still continue?" Seohyun confessed. She was feeling down lately, and Yunho leaving was not helping at all. Her heart ached badly at the thought.

"Joohyun-ah..we've come so far together, do you think I will let you go so easily?" Yunho's eyes soften as he pulled Seohyun towards him and hugged her tightly. "I'm feeling insecure, right now, especially when we're having this cold war over something trivial." Seohyun sobbed. For a moment, Yunho regretted his decision. "Come with me then, I will take you with me. I can take care of you." Yunho assured. "You know that's impossible. I've yet to graduate and... what about my parents?" Seohyun replied. "You can transfer to a university there, and we can come back during your break to visit them together." Yunho suggested, secretly hoping she would somehow agree to his a little absurd plan.

"I still don't think this is right..and I don't have a choice but to wait for you right?" Seohyun said as she looked up into Yunho's eyes. "I'm sorry Joohyun, the company needs me for now, as much as I need you, I will try to work hard during this two years and come back to you as a better man. Seohyun closed her eyes as she let her thoughts settled down while Yunho hugs her tightly, patting her back while rocking her body back and forth.

===

It was hard to let Yunho leave, when she did not know when would be the next time they could meet. Seohyun's friends accompanied her to the airport as they were afraid she could not take Yunho's departure with a light heart. After all, Yunho is her first love, and they have been together slightly more than a year. Yunho held Seohyun's hand tightly throughout the check-in procedures, never letting her leave his side, as though he wanted to cherish every second left with her.

When it was time to leave, Yunho hugged and kissed Seohyun one last time, telling her he loves her so much, before cleaning away her tears and said his goodbyes to his family and friends. His eyes never left Seohyun as he walked in. It was hard for Seohyun, she wanted to stop him from leaving, but she knew better than anyone that it would be selfish for her to do so. She trust that they are strong enough to sustain their relationship this way.

===

"Who was the girl you talked to that day?" Seohyun asked casually as she helped Yunho pack his luggage for his trip. "The girl? What girl?" Yunho looked up at Seohyun. "I went to your office the day before, I wanted to make things right, and I even bought your favorite Java Chip. But then I saw you with a hot lady chatting happily away." Seohyun mentioned without much expression as she continued to fold Yunho's clothes into the luggage. "Ah..that's Junhee, she's my friend's wife! I bumped into her when I was on the way back from lunch. And how could you throw away the cup of Java Chip that was meant for me?" Yunho looked at Seohyun accusingly. "You were happily chatting with someone else, I reckon you didn't need that amount of caffeine boost to keep you awake." Seohyun shrugged her shoulders as she pursed her lips.

"I kinda understand how you feel about things between Minho and me already. I felt the same way after seeing  you with another girl. I'm sorry for being so insensitive." Seohyun said as she lowered her gaze. Yunho smiled as he tapped Seohyun's head. "Silly.."

"Will you be patient and wait for me?" Yunho said as he held Seohyun's hands in his. "I know 2 years is quite a long time, but I promise, I will come back whenever I can, and we can spend our time meaningfully like always." He continued.

Tears were threatening to fall again at the mention of Yunho's departure. All Seohyun could managed was a slight nod. "I love you, Joohyun. Trust me, and wait for me."

"I love you too." Seohyun whispered.

===

"I love you, Yunho. Please take care." Seohyun whispered softly, clutching onto the necklace he gave her, as she sees Yunho's back view disappeared from her sight.