Chapter 8 – Dear Daddy

A Cyborg Like My Perfect Bias [Hiatus]

 

 

                “Hey, Dad!” smiled Shin, as he turned to Mr. Sung.  Sooyun walked past him to turn on the lights, giving life to the dark living room.  “You must be hungry after coming home from such a long flight and stressing out about your lovely daughter’s safety.  Why don’t I make something for you?”

                “Don’t call him Dad.” said Sooyun, disliking it.  It was weird to have someone else call her father ‘Dad’ besides herself.  And, it wasn’t right for him to call her father that.  It wasn’t like they were married or something.

                Shin and Mr. Sung looked over at her.  Mr. Sung looked like he was angry and Shin just smiled.  “Well, your father is my father after all.  He created me.  And, he will treat me like I’m his own child.” he stated, as- matter-of-fact.

                “He’s right, Sooyun.” defended Mr. Sung.  “Instead of treating Shin like an intruder, you should be worshipping him.  He saved you.  You owe him his life, Sooyun.  If not, then, at least be grateful that you’re still alive.”

                Sooyun could feel her lips tremble as a wave of sadness washed over her.  She never likes to disappoint her father, which is why she has kept her desire to become a makeup artist away from him.  When her vision became blurry, she felt someone wrapped their arms around her waist.  She pulled him closer and realized that it was Shin.  Her father is slim, but he wasn’t as thin as he was.  Regardless of the realization, she continued to hug him.

                This is the life she would have to live from now on.

                “There, there Sooyun.” said Shin, softly.  He was brushing her hair away from her face as she let out a soft sob into his chest.  “Dad loves you, now and forever.  Just because you disappoint him once, that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t love you.”

                He pulled away from the hug with the sweetest smile.  “Why don’t I make something for you and Dad to eat?” he suggested.  Sooyun shrugged her shoulders.  “C’mon!  You’ll feel much better after you eat.”

                Before she could say anything, he made her sit on the small couch and the TV.   There was nothing on except for late night infomercials, but it was better than nothing.  Shin also made Mr. Sung sit on the couch as well and forced him to watch the TV with Sooyun.  The pair watched as Shin excitedly went into the kitchen.

                “Yay!” he said, happily.  “I get to cook for my girlfriend!”

                Sooyun frowned at the word.  No, we are not together, she thought.  Just because you saved me once does not mean that you’re my boyfriend…  Even if you’re cute as hell!!!  She heard her father chuckle and turned to him.

                “It just takes time.” said Mr. Sung.

                “How did you know that I was in trouble?” asked Sooyun.

                “I got sent an email as well…” he stated.  “I think there is more details regarding what will happen to you and about Shin.  So, that was why I wasn’t as alarmed when I came by earlier…  Not only that, but he was the one that sent it out as directed by my future self that never came to be because you’re alive right now.”

                “So…  Does that mean that Lu Han – I mean, Shin, will never exist in time because I’m a live right now and you will probably never spend your lifetime trying to build a robot like him?”  asked Sooyun.

                “What?” asked Mr. Sung, confused.  “I would like to build robots, now that I know that I can…  I would like to pursue that side of me especially knowing how well I can build one.  I’ve always been interested in artificial intelligences, but wasn’t sure what would be a good segue from the usual engineering projects that I have done before…”  He looked over at Shin, cooking something amazing in the kitchen.  “I’m so amazed that I actually built something as amazing as that!  I’m really glad that I had decided to build Shin and that he is here.”

                “But…  What about the creation of him?” asked Sooyun.  She wants to know if her father will try to attempt to build another Shin.  If he doesn’t, then doesn’t that mean that Shin will never be created because she is alive and her father won’t exactly need to build a robot to save her?  She shook her head, out of frustration.

                “What about Shin?” asked Mr. Sung.  “I just told you that I was going to attempt his creation again.  Who knows?  It may be faster than 37 years because he may have some insight on his own creation.”

                “Oh…” nodded Sooyun.  She leaned back into the couch and blinked slowly.  She was tired and wanted to sleep, properly. 

 

 

                It must have been 4 AM when Sooyun woke up.  She quickly sat up in the dark room.  Her eyes have already been adjusted to the darkness for some time because she was able to make out the things in the room.  She let out a sigh and lay down. 

                It was just a dream, she thought.  Her mind suddenly thought of the crazy events of Shin and her father.  A dream

                She spread her arms out and it hit someone’s chest.  She quickly retracted and cursed at herself.  So, it wasn’t a dream after all!, she thought.  She could feel the person at her side move around.  Before she knew it, she was face to face with Shin.  She blinked, still trying to accept the idea that this person is not EXO M’s Lu Han and suppressing animal-like fangirl screams.

                “What are you doing?” whispered Sooyun, alert.  There was no way her father would like a boy sleep on the same futon with her unless if it was her husband.  She quickly looked over her shoulder at her sleeping father.  Apparently, Shin didn’t count.

                “Sleeping with you.” stated Shin, innocently.

                “When did I fell asleep?” she asked.

                “When I was cooking.  You didn’t get to taste it.” pouted Shin.  A small smile touched Sooyun’s lips and he smiled.  “Do you know that you have an amazing smile?  You would always have the biggest, brightest smile when you were a kid.”

                “How would you know?” asked Sooyun, curious.

                “From Dad, duh…” said Shin, sounding like a teenager.

                Sooyun couldn’t contain her soft laugh.  He has so much personality in him…  There is no way he’s a robot.  Without thinking, she thought out loud.  “Are you sure you’re a robot?  You’re so human.”

                Shin chuckled and Sooyun could feel his warm hand touch hers.  She quickly pulled away, being shy.  “That’s why Dad wouldn’t let me come until 11 years after I was built.  It was so then I could be as human as possible…  And, so then I could fall in love with you.” he explained.

                Sooyun blushed and was unable to look at Shin.  “How could you fall in love with me?” she whispered.  “I already died when you were built…”  She almost couldn’t even say those words.  Did I really died because of that accident earlier?, she thought.

                “Dad was able to project all of his memories of you from his brain onto a screen like a movie with one of his inventions that was placed in his brain.  It’s like a wireless DVD player with all these movies that can automatically play without the touch of a button.  He did that so then it would be easier for me to see you since there were never videos taken of you…  Only pictures.” smiled Shin.   “But, Dad didn’t show me the memories of you until a year after I was built when I was more like a human…  It was you that triggered my ability to fully love and cherish things.  There was just something about you that made me fall for you.  Whether it is how lovely you looked like after you were born or how cute you were when you were in 5th grade or how sad you were when Dad was leaving for America...  I’m really glad that Dad showed me those memories of you.  They truly made me learned and experienced how it felt like to love another so much that you would do anything for them.”

                “So…” started Sooyun.  “You saw all of my dad’s memories of me as a child to the day that I became an adult?”

                “Of course.” replied Shin.  “Watching you grow up is…  Beautiful.  You were such a cute baby!  I kind of wish I could go back to that time and help take care of you instead…  So, then, I could watch you grow up as well and fall even more in love with you.”

                “Wouldn’t it be weird if you never age?” asked Sooyun.

                “Actually, Dad had built me to age with you…  The moment we met is the moment my aging timer is when it set off.  That’s so then we will age together and die together.” said Shin. 

                Sooyun listened closely.  He is here to stay…  He was right when he said that he’ll be with me until the end of time, she thought.  He will never leave my side now that he is here.

                “So, if I met you 20 years ago, I will be 40 now and you will be my wife.” continued Shin.  Then, he let out a laugh.  “Maybe it is better off that we meet now, when I can French kiss you and you can really be my girlfriend.”

                French kiss?, thought Sooyun as she blushed.  Is he really thinking about kissing me?

                “Regardless,” said Shin, as he placed his hands on Sooyun’s face and making her look at him.  “I’m really happy that I’m here, with you, after so many years of watching those memories from Dad…  You are even more lovely and beautiful in person.  I’ve traveled at least a whole year or so to come to this time period and I don’t regret it at all.  I’m here and I will be here forever.  I love you, Sung Sooyun.  And, I always will.”

                Sooyun still didn’t know how to react because Shin is so forward with his feelings for her.  She is inexperienced when it comes to the field of love and wouldn’t know how to react, even if she wanted to.  If Shin has really been in love with her for 10 years already, then she should learn how to accept it.  But, how?

                Sooyun smiled, softly.  “Thank you, Shin.” she said, unsure of what to say.  “Thank you so much for your heartfelt feelings and for saving me.”

                Shin smiled brightly.  “Of course.” he said.  “Anything for my Sooyun.”

                There is so much that I still don’t know about Shin…  Yes, he is a robot.  But, if Dad didn’t let him come save me until 11 years after he was built, then that must be because he wants Shin to have a human-like personality, thought Sooyun.  There must be things that Shin loves, likes, and dislikes.  He has clearly stated that he is well in love with me…  But, what are the other things he loves?  What did he do with his life before he came to me besides watch these memories of me all the time?  Surely, he has a life outside the topic regarding me.

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

                I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!!  ^^  Yaya!  More Sooyun+Shin moments!!!  This is definitely more than the usual update!

                Sorry if anything about “future technologies” confuses you…  It’s hard for me to write it out because it doesn’t exist after all.  So, just post a comment below or post something on my wall.  I’ll try to answer my questions the best as I could since I’m only working off of my imagination.  LOL

LOVE,

loveFORyunho