New York City

A Cyborg Like My Perfect Bias [Hiatus]

 

 

            “I know that you’ll be mad…  But, who does Lu Han end up marrying?” asked Sooyun, curiously.

            She is hoping that after the crazy and passionate loving making last night that the question wouldn’t make Shin mad.  It has been on her mind ever since he told her that he was from the future.  But, it’s not like she really cares or anything.  Sooyun and Shin are going to get married any ways.  She already found the man of her dreams.  But, knowing well about her lingering fangirl feelings for Lu Han, she would like to know if he will end up happily married to some other woman or to lie to his fans that he’s going to be single for the rest of his life and have a secret life behind the scenes like some celebrities.

            Shin takes his time sipping on his spoonful of soup.  Sooyun smiles as she watches, fully aware of his hostile feelings towards the idol.  He looks up from his food and caught her smile.  He smiles in return, shrugging.  “He’s going to marry a Chinese model named Xiao Xue.” he responds.  “They’re going to start dating 4 years after EXO debuts and they’ll get married after dating for 6 years.”

            Sooyun smiles.  “Do they tell the public about it?” she asked.

            “Of course!” nods Shin, as he continues to eat.  “Obviously, fans never take it well so Lu Han didn’t release the information until EXO disbanded and the 10 year contract was over with.  He was smart about it because his fans did leave the fandom, but it didn’t affect EXO at all.  His career was still good when he left SM to a local Chinese company.”

            “That’s good to know.” nods Sooyun.  “I’m glad that he was able to protect his wife.”

            “Hmmm….  About that wife of his…  I don’t know what happened, but she ended cheating on him and Chinese tabloids caught her.  She claimed that the love in their relationship died long before they got married and she was just letting it drag along because she wanted to use his fame to her advantage...  They got a divorce after 8 years of marriage, which was completely dragging it out.”

            “Really?” asked Sooyun, shocked.  Shin nods his head.  “Wow…  That’s really sad.”

            “I know.” he agrees.  “But, it made sense because they never had any kids and the Chinese public thought that it was kind of strange...  It probably just wasn’t meant to be.”  Shin shrugs it off, like it was nothing.

            “I’m assuming he remarried another woman anyways.” said Sooyun, as she continued to eat.

            “Actually…” starts Shin, slowly.  “Lu Han never did.”  He shook his head.  “Tabloids caught him dating here and there, but his interest in women just died after his wife.  His love life is actually quite depressing.  Although Lu Han never said it, his ex-wife really the life out of him.”

            “That is so sad!  I want to cry for him now!” said Sooyun.

            “Well, you’re the one that wanted to know!” countered Shin.  “I was hesitant earlier because some things are best left unknown to people living in the present.”  Shin smiles.  “But, you were so cute, so I couldn’t help myself.”

            Sooyun laughed.  “I thought that you hate him.” she said.

            “Ah, the only reason why I hate him is because you like him.” shrugged Shin.

            Sooyun laughs.  “I should be careful on who becomes my future bias then.” she nods, with a smile.

            Shin laughs.  “Yes!  You should!” he agrees.

 

 

            Sooyun stares at the Levi’s commercial on the plasma screen in front of her.  It is Shin, posing shirtless and showing off his toned abs.  What did she ever do to get such a man like him?  She smiles softly to herself as she thinks of Shin.  He had been casted in a drama as a supporting role.  The filming finished for a few weeks now, so all he has been doing is resting at home besides filming a few CFs lately.  She is sure that he’s at home, waiting for her with dinner.

            Because of his acting job, he has been gaining even more fans.  The fan café has a huge influx of new users recently and Sooyun has never been more proud.  Although it is much harder to look over the users, she appointed a few dedicated users as moderators on the site to keep the huge amount of users in check. 

            She turns away from the screen and walks toward the platform.  Today she is taking the subway, since it has been a while.  Sooyun looks down at her phone.  It is 3 minutes until her ride will come.  She lets out a breath, wanting to go home.  She looks back at her phone and uses it as a mirror, fixing her stray hair behind her ear.

            Sooyun has been shadowing a makeup artist named Eun that often works for pictorials for Allure Korea, W Korea, and a few celebrities.  The celebrities that the Eun works with are usually those that are still trying to get big and not as well known.  So, she doesn’t meet with them as often as other makeup artists with their celebrity clients.  The pictorials for Allure and W are the more consistent along with her job at a beauty salon she owns.

            Sooyun follows Eun everywhere to maximize her exposure to the real world of her field.  She realizes that her future career as a makeup artist is inconsistent unless if she has a list of dedicated cliental.  Or, if she works for a beauty salon or an entertainment company where she’ll constantly be needed.  Even though reality is harsh, Sooyun knows that she doesn’t regret it.

            Sooyun was with Eun doing a fashion layout with graphic and extreme makeup for W at a studio in Myeongdong.  Eun was sweet and let her do the makeup today.  Sooyun has done the makeup a few times on models back at the makeup artistry school, so she was nervous.  It isn’t her forte.  Eun had given her the face charts (regarding how the makeup will look like for the shoot) that she had created so she could study it.  There were pictures of the outfit the model was going to wear so Sooyun would have a feel of the concept of the photo shoot. 

            Out of nervousness, Sooyun used Shin as her model at home.  The graphic makeup looks were good according to the face chart, but she felt like something was missing.  So, she added a little touch of her own onto the face chart.  Sooyun was worried that Eun might not like it, but she wanted to take a shot.  Well, the makeup artist liked the techniques that Sooyun had used for the applications and praised her for making the look more “eccentric” than anticipated, which she liked.

            Sooyun smiles to herself as she thinks back to the compliments Eun and the photographer had showered her earlier.  She lets out a soft breath of air until someone calls out her name.

            “Sung Sooyun?” asked a voice. 

            She quickly looked in the direction her name was called.  She blinks slowly at the sight of an old classmate.  “Han Junsu?” she asked, with a smile. 

            “Hey!!” he laughs, as he walks up to her.  “It really is you!!”

            Sooyun laughed, being glad to meet an old acquaintance.  “It’s been a really long time since I’ve last seen you.” she said.  “It’s been 3 years now.”

            Junsu nods, with his smile.  “It’s been a really long time.” he said.  “I haven’t seen you ever since graduation...”

            His gaze continues to be on Sooyun.  “What?” she laughs. 

            Junsu shook his head.  “Nothing.  It’s just that you look so different now.  I almost didn’t even recognize you.” he said.

            “What do you mean?” questions Sooyun.

            Junsu smiles as he continues to look down at her.  “You just look…  Prettier, with a nice glow to your skin…” he commented.  “But, it’s not like you weren’t pretty in high school or anything.”

            Sooyun laughs.  “It’s OK; you don’t need to be nice.  I was pretty ugly in high school.” she said, thinking back to her simple, plain face during her school days.  She didn’t care at the time because she knew that no guy would look her way, even if she tried because of her acne.  Her self esteem was low then, but now it’s a different story. 

            Junsu clears his throat.  “A few people have been asking about you from our graduating class because you deleted your social network accounts…” he said.  “And, my sister was wondering if you still play soccer.”

            Sooyun had gone to a top academic high school on a scholarship.  The school gave her a scholarship to get her to play for their girls’ soccer team.  Han Junsu’s older sister was a 3rd year student and the captain of the team.  They clicked instantly when they met.  But, after Sooyun’s first year in high school, she stopped playing because she lost her passion to play.  Everyone was disappointed because she was considered one of the best players (thanks to Mr. Sung).  Regardless, the school continued to give her the scholarship because of her financial status and she was a good student.

            Since Sooyun went to a prestigious high school after all, many of the students in her graduating class were heading to the top 3 universities in Korea: Seoul National, Korea, and Yonsei University.  She was the only one that decided to go to a community college since going straight to a prestigious university would be too expensive.  And because she did so, she lost touch with her high school classmates.  They were living a life, now, completely different from hers.  She could no longer relate to them the same way she used to.  Thus, she decided to delete her account from the social networks that is popular.

            Sooyun smiles.  “I just got busy and couldn’t keep up with everyone…  And, no, I haven’t went back to soccer ever since I stopped.” she said.  Suddenly, she had the urge to start playing again.  It has been 6 years.  “How is your sister doing?”

            “She’s doing good.” nods Junsu. 

            Sooyun continues to smile.  “That’s good to know.” she said.  “So, how’s school?”  The last time she heard about Han Junsu, he was majoring in Political Science and enjoyed it a lot.

            “It’s good!” laughs Junsu.  “Classes are much harder this upcoming year than before.”

            “Don’t worry.  You’re smart and you’ll do good.” encourages Sooyun.

            “Well, I hope so.” said Junsu, as he scratches his head.  “How about you?  How is school?”

            “I got my Associate’s Degree in Biology, but have decided to become a makeup artist.  I am currently shadowing a makeup artist right now.” smiles Sooyun.

            She knows that no one from high school would have ever thought that her life would go the way it is going right now.  They all thought that she was going to become some genius engineer like her father, who was overseas at CalTech to get his PhD.  How wrong were they to assume.  Sooyun has a passion and even if her old classmates were to judge her for turning to such a job as a makeup artist, she doesn’t care.  All that matters is that she is doing something she has passion for.

            “Really?” asked Junsu, amazed.  “Wow…  You just keep amazing me.”  He stares at her with bright, shiny eyes.  “It seems like you’re happy with what you’re doing and I hope for the best for you.”

            “I hope the best for you too.” said Sooyun.

 

 

Lulu: That classmate must have liked you.

 

Sooyun: Yah!  Don’t say that!!  He was simply complimenting me!

 

Lulu: Ha ha!  He totally likes you~  It’s not normal for an old classmate to just call you “pretty” after so many years when he had never said it before.

 

Sooyun:  Stop it!  I don’t want to hear it!  I don’t care!

 

Lulu:  He did tell you that you guys should have some coffee to catch up…  ;)  That’s got to mean something.

 

Sooyun: I already told him that I have a boyfriend…  AND, STOP IT!!

 

Lulu:  LOL  You love your boyfriend.

 

Sooyun: Of course!  ^^  He’s at home, making dinner for me.

 

Lulu:  He cooks?!

 

Sooyun: Of course!  The best cook ever!  Makes super good noodles too!  ^^

 

Lulu: Don’t make me hungry…  :P

 

            Sooyun smiles, evilly.  For the fact that Lulu was just teasing her about Han Junsu, she plans to take a picture of the meal that Shin had prepared for her and send it to the young woman.  Just so then she’ll shut up.

            Sooyun quickly walks through the entrance to the lobby of the condo complex and into the elevator.  She presses the number 7 and the machine was on its way up.  She couldn’t wait to see Shin.  It has been 13 long hours since she had last seen him.  She had left before he woke up and got to call him briefly during lunch break.

            The moment she steps in the condo, she is attacked with a huge bear hug.

            “I miss you.” said Shin, into her ear.

            “I miss you too.” smiled Sooyun, into his chest.

            “There’s something I need to tell you.” said Shin, as he pulls away from the hug.  “I didn’t want to tell you earlier because I know that you were busy and I didn’t think that I would actually get the role…”

            Sooyun’s face scrunches up.  “What?  You auditioned for another drama?” she asked, quickly.  “When?”

            “It was over a month ago, before the drama ended.” admitted Shin.  “Sorry, I just didn’t want you to worry for me because I know that my long acting hours were already stressing you out enough.  So, I just kept it in the dark.”

            “So, what drama is it?” asked Sooyun.  “Who’s in it?  Yoon Siyoon is already in the drama you’re in, so he’s obviously not in it…”

            “It’s a new American TV show that will premiere during the summer.” said Shin.  “The filming begins in 2 months, a month after you’re done with the makeup artistry school…”

            “Where are you filming?” asked Sooyun.

            “New York City.” replied Shin.  “The producers are expecting the series to be a big hit…  And, I might be there for years before coming back to Korea.”

            “Why don’t I just go with you?” suggested Sooyun.

            Shin looks down at her, worried.  “Are you sure?” he asked. 

            Sooyun thinks for a moment.  It will be a big change for her, for sure.  America is a whole new world; barely any similarity to little South Korea…  But, isn’t this something she has always wanted?  To live in America, like her father, even for a year or more?  Her English is quite good, according to many classmates and teachers since she has been learning to speak it properly with a private tutor.  The reason why was because Mr. Sung had always known that he wanted to go to CalTech for his graduate degree and he wanted his English to be the best, so he had private lessons for him and Sooyun, to perfect her English as well.  The private lessons had paid off since both their English became nearly perfect.

            Sooyun smiles.  “I’ve always wanted to live in America and New York City has always been intriguing.” she states.

            “Are you sure?” asked Shin, again.  It is obvious that he doesn’t want her to regret.  “Life there is different from Korea, Sooyun.  I just don’t want you to feel useless because assimilating to the American life will be hard.”

            She continues to smile.  “Well, I’ve been to California for a summer when I was 15…” she said.  “Pasadena was nice and the people were sweet.”

            “But, the East Coast is different from the West Coast.” states Shin.  “New York is different from California…  I don’t want you to regret a big decision like this, OK?  This is a huge decision, Sooyun: to be moving to New York City and settling in as soon as possible is hard.  I’ve been there many times before, so I’m used to the busy life there.  But, for you…”

            Sooyun looks up at Shin and hugs him.  “I know that it will hard for me, Shin.” she said.  “But, I think that it’s time that I step out of my comfort zone and explore the world.”

            Shin smiles and leans down.  He kisses the tip of her nose.  “Don’t think too much tonight, OK?” he said, softly.  “Just take it easy and sleep on the idea.  You don’t need to decide on this now, OK?”

            Sooyun laughs softly.  “OK, OK.” she said and then pecks him on the lips.

 

 

Lulu: You’re so mean!  Why did you send me that photo of the dinner your boyfriend made you?!  I’m hungry now!!!  T.T

 

Sooyun:  HA HA!  Well, that’s what you get for teasing me earlier!  BTW, guess what?

 

Lulu: Did you meet Lu Han again? :o

 

Sooyun:  LOL  No…  I’m moving to New York City!!!!!  I’ll be in America for a year!!!

 

            Sooyun looks at the clock.   It has been over 3 hours since Lulu has replied back…  She had replied so quickly back earlier, but she must be asleep now.  Sooyun wanted to know if about her reaction about the exciting news.  She had wanted to ask Lulu what is the best way to assimilate to a new culture quickly, but it seems like it is not happening tonight. 

            Sooyun is studying the face chart for the next photo shoot that Eun has to do, as Shin already dozed off to sleep.  His deep breathing is making her tired.  She quickly places the face chart on the night stand and turns off the light.  Sooyun takes her place next to her boyfriend and snuggles into his chest.

            “I want to go with you to New York City, Shin.” she whispers.  “Even if it’ll be hard.”

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

            Wow…  That was sort of a long chapter…  Well, I hope you guys enjoyed it!!!  ^^  And, yes...  Sooyun will always be a fangirl, even if her boyfriend does look exaclty like her bias....  LOL

            Yay, New York City!!  Here we come!!

LOVE,

loveFORyunho