Become more Human

A Cyborg Like My Perfect Bias [Hiatus]

 

 

                Shin smiles as he looks around the new apartment that he and Sooyun moved into.  Although there are still a lot of boxes around and a new couch needs to be bought before he leaves for America, it’s still spacious in the living room.  It has 2 bed rooms: one for him and Sooyun and the other one are for Mr. Sung with all of his things.  The best thing about the apartment is the location.  From the balcony, they get a really nice view of the Han River.

                After much debate and persuasion from Sooyun, Shin had decided to do the Japanese modeling jobs that he was offered in July.  And from one of the Japanese connections, they referred him to the Dolce and Gabbana casting director, Michael Lee, and gave him Shin’s resume.  Michael liked Shin and contacted him for a go-see.  Shin agreed because anything can happen at the go-see.  He was hoping that the designers wouldn’t like how Shin carries the suits he had to model, but he was wrong.  Micheal took snapshots of Shin from the go-see and sent them to the designers.  They wanted him to walk for the Dolce and Gabbana show for the NYC Fashion Week in September and he was the first model to get one of the jobs.  Most designers don’t start looking for their models until late August to the end of October.

                Since Shin has never done runway before, he will only get to be on the runway once, but because his catwalk looks promising, he may get two.  But, he knows that if goes to New York early go to go-sees set up by one of the modeling agencies his company has connections with, then he can get more modeling jobs with other brands.  Shin wasn’t sure if he should take the offer, but Sooyun said that it’s good that he’s advancing his career more if he takes it.  So, in the end, he decided to go.

                Shin doesn’t feel comfortable with leaving Sooyun alone at the apartment they used to live in.  The neighborhood is bad and her neighbors are horrible and rude.  And, he suspects one of them is in a gang.  The last thing he wants is for anything wrong to happen to her.  So, that is why they moved to a better place with a nicer neighborhood.  Even if he can’t be there in person to watch over her, knowing that she’s in a nice, new apartment with kind neighbors is good enough to calm his nerves.

                Shin sighs, heavily.  He doesn’t want to think about leaving Sooyun.  He just wants to think about the time he’s spending with her now.  He quickly went into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator.  Maybe I’ll make some tofu soup and japchae for dinner, he thought as he observes the fully stocked fridge.  He quickly looks over to the door to his bedroom.  Sooyun is still napping from today’s shopping.

                Shin pulls out the new wooden cutting board and kitchen knife he and Sooyun bought earlier when they went shopping for the new place.  He takes out the beef rib eye steak and vegetables that they bought from the grocery store.  He rinsed the vegetables that he was planning to use and started chopping the vegetables.

                He is concentrating on chopping the onion in front of him, with teary eyes when his phone started to ring.  His phone startled him and he could feel the sharp blade of the new knife pierce through the flesh of his fingers.

                “Ow!” he said, automatically as he lets go of the knife and pulls his finger up for a closer inspection.  He sighs as he took his call.  “Hello?”

                “Oh, Shin?” asks Manager Kyungsoon.

                Since she didn’t bring up the topic about that night when Shin slipped about having a girlfriend, he assumed that she forgot because she was drinking…  But, he wasn’t completely sure either.  She has become a bit distant and less touchy, but still makes attempts to flirt with him once in a while.

                “Yes, Noona?” he asks.

                “I just wanted to remind you to pack 2 months supply of all the things that you need on a daily basis for your trip to New York.” she replied, with a laugh.

                Shin smiles weakly as he stares as his bleeding finger.  “Don’t worry.  I already did.” he said.

                “And, that your flight is in 5 days.” she continues.

                “I remember as well.” he nods, as the warm blood trickles down his finger.  It is a deep cut as his finger starts to throb.

                “Why don’t we have some dinner the day before you leave?” asks Manager Kyungsoon. 

Before Shin could protest, she continues.  “You have been such a good kid and I had a good time looking over you for the last few months.  I want us to have dinner to congratulate you on landing a modeling job for Dolce and Gabbana for the NYC Fashion Show.  I knew well that you had potential the day I met you.”

                “Of course.” replies Shin, feeling grateful for having her as a manager.  Even though she does have some obvious feelings towards him, she is a great manager who cares a lot about him.  “Is it OK if I bring my girlfriend along too?”

                It’s about time that they meet each other.  Shin knows that Sooyun will decline, but he will be able to get her to go eventually.  They are the two women that he does interact with the most and play important roles in his life: his lover/girlfriend/future wife and his manager.  Manager Kyungsoon has never heard of Shin talking about Sooyun before, but that’s only because he was hiding it this whole time.

                There was a long silence.

                “S-Sure.” she mumbles.

                After setting up a time in the middle of the week for the dinner, Shin quickly turns off the phone.  He takes in a deep breath as he reaches for the first aid kit under the sink.  He quickly wipes the blood away with the alcohol wipe and winces when it touched his wound.  He swallows hard after he bandaged himself.

                ‘Not only will you age when you meet Sooyun, but you will also become more human.  The metal that was used to build your skeleton will become similar to human bones.  You will be able to break an arm and heal it again.  You will also begin to feel physical pain and bleed when necessary…  The only thing you can’t do is, unfortunately, have children.  You and Sooyun will have to adopt or have a donor when you two want children.’

                ‘So, does that mean that I can die like a regular human as well?’

                Mr. Sung took a long, warm gaze at him.  ‘Well, you can’t die from certain things…  Although you may age, you will definitely not have cancer, diabetes, or have a terminal illness.  But, you are not invincible.  I didn’t create you to be invincible.  If I did, then I would never send you to Sooyun.  You two are to live out a normal life to the fullest filled with love, laughter, and warmth.  That is my wish.’

                Shin blinks as he stares down at the mess he made with the blood stained cotton pads.  “But, we don’t have a normal life.” he spoke out loud, quietly.  Then, he swallows hard.  “When Sooyun establishes herself as a makeup artist and feels secure about our income, then I’ll stop…  So, then, we can live that normal life you talk about, Dad.  I’m sorry.”

                Taking a deep breath, Shin quickly decides to call Mr. Sung.  Even if that isn’t exactly the same Mr. Sung that had said those words to him, as long as they are the same person then it’s fine.  He just wanted his Dad to say some words or encouragement to him to lift his heavy heart.

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

                Yes!!! 

                Shin is becoming more human!  He’s only a robot by initial design.  Hope that doesn’t confuse you too much.  If it does, then please comment or post a question on my wall.  I will be happy to explain to you.  ^^

                AND, FYI, things are going to pick up from here!

LOVE,

loveFORyunho