***

Gyeoul - Winter

Eunhyuk

 

She's looking at me through the window, points at herself and inside. I just keep staring at her, not knowing what to do.

She's wet all over. It's still raining.

"What does she want?"

"Looks like she wants to talk to me."

"Do you want to talk to her?"

"I don't know."

"You don't have to." he says.

" I guess it can't be helped."

She keeps looking at me and I finally nod in her direction. She walks to the door and slowly gets inside. She doesn't want to. That's clear.

"Someone will take you home soon."

"Okay."

"You don't have to listen to her. Understood?"

"Hm."

"I'm with you. Call me anytime."

" Thanks."

"I love you."

"Me too."

I hang up.

Hae Ri approaches me. I try to compose my features but still I'm nervous. Too nervous when there's just a woman who obviously wants to talk. I wait for her to start.

"Donghae was at the phone?"

I nod. She takes a seat in front of one of the washing machine.

"What do you want?"

"I am here to...", she clenches her handbag. " I'm here to explain some things."

"How could you find me here?"

" I followed Chi Soo."

 

 

***

 

"Heechul-sshi? This is Park Bom."

"Bom-sshi."

"How did you get her number?"

"Sssh, Shindong........... I'm sorry for the interruption. How can I help you?"

"Ehm... well. This is kind of..."

"Yes?"

"Well... right now I'm at the theater to practise for my musical role. And I thought I should inform you about this."

"About you practising?"

"No, no... I mean. My co-singer. Donghae-sshis friend."

"Chi Soo?"

"Yes. He came here twenty minutes ago. He's drunk. And puffy from crying. I managed to get him into the dressing room so no one will see him."

"Okay..."

" The actual problem is he doesn't stop talking and I though it would be the best if I told you because it sounds kind of serious."

"What is he talking about?"

" About Hyukjae-sshi.... About ow much he hates him and how much he wants him to suffer."

 

 

***

 

 

Hae Ri

 

" Chi Soo isn't the straight man you think he is. It's far from it.

Donghae, Chi Soo and myself have known each other since we were little children who could barely walk. There was only us. I guess no one dared to interfere in our relationship. And it wasn't like we missed something.

First, Chi Soo loved Donghae as a brother.

And then, slowly something deeper grew inside of him and finally, he wasn't able to hide it from himself anymore.

He struggled so much. It wasn't easy for him to admit he was in love with a man plus the person was his best friend.

Donghae was oblivious to it. You know how he can be.

I saw it from the very beginning.

And I really thought they could end up as a couple. Donghae was never the one to blie that he wasn't the straightest man.

Eventually Chi Soo started to talk to me about it because he wasn't able to cope with it by himself anymore. Slowly he got used to the thought and he felt comfortable in his own skin again. I told him to finally confess. It couldn't go on like this.

He was jealous. So much that he couldn't tolerate any other person near him, except me and his family. Donghae never knew. I guess he finally sensed something but he never had a clue that it was Chi Soo that watched him all the time.

I told Chi Soo to confess. I have to admit, the whole situation turned out to be quiet uncomfortable. It was like... he was obsessed with him.

First, he couldn't do it but someday he finally started to gather his courage. That was when Donghae announced that he'd move to Seoul to be a trainee. Soon after he left.

Strangely, Chi Soo - who couldn't tolerate a girl talking to Donghae- was fine with it. It was Donghaes dream and his dreams were our dreams. Afterwards I think he was just fine because he thought Donghae wouldn't have the time to even think about falling in love.

Then the name came up for the first time. Your name.

And from that day on it was only you.

Every time we spoke to him it was you we ended up talking about.

The way he described you... I really started to think an angel fell down to earth just to meet him. And I was happy because from the very beginning there was so much love in his words. Chi Soo had a hard time getting used to the new person in his life. I asked him how he felt about it. He never fell out of love but he was fine because Donghae was fine.

And maybe he thought it would be over soon. Hae tends to be overdramatically from time to time.

He started to concentrate on his own career and went to singing school while still attending high school.

Time passed by and you debuted.

We watched all of your shows and when we had the time we would come to your performances, sometimes without Donghaes knowing.

And we saw how he improved.

And we saw... how he fell in love with you.

The sight of it made Chi Soo miserable.

His career didn't go that well anyway, he didn't get any jobs,  and then he witnessed how Donghae slowly slipped away.

He was too stressed and put himself under too much pressure until the doctor diagnosed him with burn-out and a slight depression.

I though he would get better.

Until that call came maybe one and a half months ago.

It was Donghae who wanted to tell us that you got together. He was so hyper and happy... I couldn't let him talk to Chi Soo. So I told him myself. I tried to be careful.

But well, everyone has a broken heart once at least. I didn't think he would take it that hard.

But I guess I was wrong.

Something seemed to snap in his head. The burn-out, the depression, the medication, no job...

I found out he started to write you messages about three weeks ago. Once we met, Donghae gave us the mobile numbers of his bandmates. If there's an accident someday, he told us. I never thought he'd use it that way.

And when we went to Seoul because he finally got a job... I didn't think he'd go any further.

But he did.

He followed you.

He took pictures.

No one cared because they knew he's Donghaes friend.

And tonight he went overboard again and started calling you... he was outside your apartement house. And I was nearby, hidden behind a wall.

When he saw you running outside he followed you.

I did the same.

You entered the wash salon and he stopped following you.

He just walked around in the rain and ended up in a telephone booth.

I think he wanted to call Donghae.

But he didn't.

I saw him crying.  

That's when I decided to come here.

You know... even though he's sick I never saw him crying before...

It has to stop.

He has to stop.

I want to take him back home. I don't even know why I'm here. I don't deserve to be next to you... after all the things I didn't do. I knew it all along. And I also knew that you don't deserve what's happening right now.

I watched you and I know why Donghae fell for you.

But that was the only thing I did.

I watched you.

I could have protected you... I could have protected Donghae if I had just opened my mouth earlier.

But as much as I like you... and as much as I love Donghae.

He's got you. He isn't alone.

But Chi Soo.

There's him and there's me.. and I couldn't betray him, as much as I had to.

Even now I'm not here because of you even though you deserve it.

I'm here because I saw Chi Soo crying and that is something I don't want to experience anymore.

And I'm here because I saw Donghae crying too many times.

 

Hyukjae...

 

                            I'm sorry."