~*FIFTY FIVE*~

~* ♥ MiNE ♥*~ ft Choi Jonghun (FT Island) & Bae Suzy (Miss A)

 

Jonghun’s eyes twinkled as they fell upon the young woman who was fiddling with a ladle trying to flip over the cheese omelette without letting it fall apart. “You really cannot cook for nuts but it’s adorable watching you try.” Jonghun’s gaze was fixated on Suzy’s profile that was scrunched up in concentration. “Ssh.. Stop ruining my concentration! I want to prove to you that I can make a perfect cheese omelette without your help.” Suzy shot him a glare.

“Given the fact that the I actually prepared the ingredients I already have helped you Bae Potato.” Jonghun yawned. “Hmph.” Suzy stuck out her tongue at him but somehow managed to flip the cheese omelette perfectly. “Wow.. You did it!” Jonghun raised his eyebrows. “Of course I did.” Suzy shrugged nonchalantly. “Now try it..” Suzy held out the omelette to Jonghun. He however seemed hesitant to try it.

“What you don’t want to try it?” Suzy wanted to know. Jonghun cleared his throat & looked away. “What is wrong with you?” Suzy scrunched up her nose. “Nothing..” Jonghun turned his back on her so that she couldn’t see his laughter. Staring at him suspiciously Suzy cut a piece of the omelette & put it into . “ERGH!!” Jonghun heard her coughing violently & couldn’t hold back his snorts any longer. “What the heck?!” Suzy spat into the sink & rinsed out. The omelette was practically swimming in salt.

“How did so much salt get into the omelette? I watched you prepare the ingredients myself..” Suzy stared at Jonghun in disbelief. “I slipped into some salt while you were preparing the non-stick pan.” Jonghun smirked. “Choi Jonghun! You incorrigible jerk!! You ruined my perfect cheese omelette!” Suzy started pummelling him mercilessly. “Okay okay.. I accept defeat!! I ruined your cheese omelette! What can I do to make up for it?” Jonghun gave her a deep bow.

“A piggy back ride.” Suzy smiled evilly. Jonghun paled. “My back.. my poor back..” Jonghun groaned playfully when he had given Suzy a piggy back ride around the entire house. In fact she weighed less than the weights he carried every single day back in the mansion. “You liar! I think you can probably lift twice my weight & you’re acting like you can’t carry me..” Suzy’s teasing voice sounded in Jonghun’s ear.

Really now?” Jonghun flipped Suzy over so that she landed on the sofa in the living room. “Hey!” she protested. “I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you so much..” Jonghun started kissing Suzy noisily. “Hmph.. First you insinuate that I’m heavy then you say you love me.” Suzy pretended to be mad. “I would love you even if you were a potato.” Jonghun hugged Suzy so tightly she almost couldn’t breathe.

“Alright cornball.. Now let me go so that I can go get my phone. I need to call my Omma & check on her. I’ve been cut off from the world for two whole days.” Suzy untangled herself from Jonghun’s possessive embrace. “Aw man.. do you have to? It’s just one more day. Can’t I just have the next twenty-four hours of Bae Suzy just for myself?” Jonghun grumbled.

“Just give me five minutes babo. I need to tell my mother that I’m alright & not lying dead in some ravine.” Suzy laughed. Jonghun muttered something inaudible but let her leave. “This guy.. He’s still a boy at heart.” Suzy shook her head & started searching her luggage for her phone. She found it at the bottom of the bag stuffed in between a pair of T-shirts.

“Ah here you are..” Suzy grabbed the phone & unlocked it. Her eyes widened when she saw that she had over forty missed calls from her mother within one day. “Oh my.. I wonder what is going on?” Suzy hurriedly speed dialled her mother. However she got no answer from the other end of the line until her third try. “Suzy?” her mother answered on the fourth ring. Suzy felt a stab of fear in the pit of her stomach.

Her mother had been or was crying. Something was wrong. Really wrong. “Omma what is wrong?” Suzy asked wishing that it was nothing serious. “It’s your father.” Mrs Bae sniffled. “Appa? What’s wrong? What happened to him?!” Suzy’s voice cracked with panic. “His gastric.. He collapsed.” Mrs Bae sobbed. Suzy’s breath caught in her chest. For a moment she was speechless. “Where is he now?” she questioned her voice almost inaudible.

“At the general hospital. I had to call an ambulance because he couldn’t get up from the floor due to the pain. Su Geun & I are with him now.” Mrs Bae blew her nose. Guilt started welling up inside Suzy’s stomach & without even realising it she had started tearing up. “Omma.. I’m so sorry that I didn’t answer your calls. I will come over right now. Tell me the ward & the room number.” Suzy grabbed a notepad lying on the bedside table.

“West ward, room 94.” Mrs Bae answered. “Suzy if you’re occupied I & Su Geun can take care of your father. He is sleeping right now after being sedated.” Mrs Bae realised that Suzy was rather distraught & started to comfort her. “No way.. are you kidding? I should be there beside Appa now. I’ll be there as soon as possible.” Suzy hung up & started stuffing her luggage with her belongings haphazardly. She had barely been alone for five minutes when Jonghun poked his head into the room.

“Bae Potato.. Is everything alright? Why are you packing?” Jonghun’s eyes turned dark with worry when they fell upon Suzy’s tearful visage. “It’s my dad. He is in the hospital.” Suzy sniffled. Almost instantly Jonghun was by Suzy’s side gathering her into his arms. “Ssh.. Don’t cry. Come on.. Let’s get you to the hospital.” Jonghun reached down & wiped away Suzy’s tears. She gazed up at him gratefully with large watery eyes.

“Are you sure Jonghun? You said you wanted another twenty-four hours with me alone & now I’m ruining your weekend..” Suzy apologised. “Nonsense. Your father’s health is more important. Come.. Let’s pack & I’ll drive you to the hospital.” Jonghun patted Suzy’s head gently & grabbed his own luggage carrier & started throwing his clothes into it.

“Don’t worry.. I’m sure your father will be alright. You told me that your mother said that your father is sleeping after being sedated right?” Jonghun squeezed Suzy’s hand comfortingly. “Yes she did. I hope he is not in too much of pain.” Suzy sighed wiping away her tears that were streaking down her cheeks again. “Look at me Bae Potato.” Jonghun told her as they pulled up at a red light.

Suzy looked at with eyes that were already showing signs of redness. “Your father will be ALRIGHT. Trust me. I won’t let anything happen to him.” Jonghun wiped away the errant tears on Suzy’s soft cheeks. She nodded mutely but gave him another grateful smile.

“Omma!!” Suzy ran to her mother the moment she spotted her coming out of room 94. “Oh Suzy! I’m so glad you’re here!” Mrs Bae wrapped up her daughter into a big bear hug. “How is Appa? Is he still asleep?” Suzy asked peeking over her mother’s shoulder into the room. “Yes he is still asleep. Su Geun is watching him now. I’m sorry to interrupt your time together Jonghun kun.” Mrs Bae gave Jonghun an apologetic bow.

Jonghun watched the older woman’s exhausted face & felt a flush of guilt spreading all over his body. “Please don’t say that Mrs Bae. I’m glad that Mr Bae is alright.” Jonghun walked over & gave Mrs Bae an awkward hug. She embraced him just as awkward since she was about a head shorter than Jonghun. “Omma.. Appa is awake. Noona you’re here too.” Su Geun walked out of the room rubbing his neck. “Yes I am. I think you & Omma should go get something to eat. You both look famished.” Suzy pointed towards the direction of the cafeteria.

“I have a better idea. I will watch your father for you. Why don’t you go have a bite with your mother & brother?” Jonghun nudged Suzy towards her mother. Suzy gave him a small smile & squeezed his hand gently. “Thank you.” She whispered to him so quietly only he could hear her. Watching the mother, daughter & son trio head towards the cafeteria Jonghun heaved a sigh & walked into the room where Mr Bae was resting in. He suddenly felt very exhausted himself.

“Maybe I can also get some shut eye while I’m in there.” Jonghun watched Mr Bae lying motionless on the bed for a moment. He felt bad that Suzy’s father was in such a state. He wasn’t the biggest fan of Mr Bae & his overprotective attitude towards Suzy but if Jonghun had a daughter he had no doubts that he would act in exactly the same manner as Mr Bae did. Taking a seat beside the bed Jonghun found his eyelids drooping & within a few seconds he had fallen asleep.

“Ow!” Jonghun woke up with a start when his cheek collided with the arm rest of the couch he was seated on. Looking around frantically Jonghun realised that he was in the hospital & he was supposed to be taking care of Mr Bae. Jonghun heaved a sigh of relief that Mr Bae was still asleep. “That’s good or else I would be dead meat.” Jonghun rubbed his chest. He almost let out a yelp when Mr Bae’s eyelids fluttered open without warning. For a moment Mr Bae & Jonghun stared at each other unblinkingly.

“What are you doing here?” Jonghun felt his stomach knot up at the expression on Mr Bae’s pale face. “I came to drop off Suzy sir. I told your family to grab a bite while I helped them keep an eye on you.” Jonghun answered uncertainly. “You wanted to keep an eye on me? That’s ironic since you are the reason I’m here.” Mr Bae remarked acidly. Jonghun’s brows furrowed in confusion. Why did Suzy’s father blame him for ending up at the hospital?

“I’m sorry Mr Bae.. I don’t understand..” Jonghun started speaking when Mr Bae stopped him with a glare. “Do you know that Suzy is thinking off not going to London?” Mr Bae demanded when Jonghun still looked puzzled. “What? Did she tell you that?” Jonghun’s eyes lit up hopefully. “No she didn’t. She wrote it out in her diary that she loves you & that maybe she would just throw away her scholarship to London & stay here with you.” Mr Bae coughed loudly.

Jonghun’s heart sank at the accusatory look in the eyes of his beloved Suzy’s own father. The man hated him & now he was blaming Jonghun for influencing Suzy’s decision in rejecting the scholarship. “Mr Bae I really didn’t know about that. Suzy hasn’t discussed it with me.” Jonghun spoke up in his own defence. “She didn’t have to. You would have happily welcomed it right?” Mr Bae sat up in his bed with some difficulty.

Jonghun stood up to help him but the older man waved him away. Not knowing how else to react Jonghun maintained his silence. Spotting his discomfort the expression on Mr Bae’s face softened very slightly.

“Look here son.. I have nothing against you. Maybe in another situation I might have welcome you as Suzy’s boyfriend just as much as I would have welcomed her decision but not this time. No one in my family ever had an opportunity to receive a scholarship from a prestigious overseas university. Our relatives always looked down upon my family because I’m a farmer & my wife only runs a small café. We are not wealthy or that well-educated. Suzy going to London on a full scholarship is something my entire family have worked for. If I’m not wrong you were the one who applied for that scholarship using Suzy’s name right? She told me about it.” Mr Bae met Jonghun’s eyes.

Jonghun nodded soundlessly. “What I’m about to say next might sound like a bad dialogue from a Korean drama but this is not a drama. This is real life & if Suzy is leaving for London she needs to be fully prepared mentally. If she’s still with you when she leaves for London.. well she’s not going to leave.” Mr Bae spoke slowly & softly but Jonghun already realised what Suzy’s father expected him to do.

“So you want me to..” Jonghun’s voice wavered. “To leave her so that she can leave without any baggage.” Mr Bae answered quietly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note : Thank you for your comments & suggestions guys! <3 hehe.. There is no fun without any drama is there? :D I'm planning to write out an.. interesting chapter soon. It's probably gonna be 'R' rated so a heads up to my readers in advance. keke.. Anyways hope this chapter was good! Comments & suggestions are welcome! :D