~*TWENTY ONE*~

~* ♥ MiNE ♥*~ ft Choi Jonghun (FT Island) & Bae Suzy (Miss A)

 

“Are you serious?! You got a full scholarship for a creative writing programme for two years? Oh my god! I’m so happy for you!” Hongki swept Suzy into a big bear hug when she broke the good news to him as they walked towards the beach for the funfair festivities.

“Thank you Hongki shi. I’m really happy but somehow I think I will miss being home for two whole years. New place, new people..” Suzy’s mind wandered back to him. What would he be doing now? Would he be happy for her as Hongki was or would he stop her from leaving? “You’re getting lost in your own thoughts again.” Hongki snapped his fingers in front of Suzy’s face.

She smiled at him, a smile tinged with a mixture of happiness & sorrow. Hongki realised that Suzy was thinking about Jonghun & changed the topic to more cheerful matters. “Hey.. Wanna bet that I can win you a teddy bear of your choice at my first attempt at the ring toss?” Hongki tugged at Suzy’s hair playfully. She smirked.

“And if you don’t?” she asked her eyes twinkling with mischief. “Well then I’ll do anything you want me to do.” Hongki gave her a deep bow. “Anything?” Suzy rubbed her hands gleefully.

Suzy held back her laughter when she saw Hongki failing miserably at trying to win her the yellow teddy bear at the top of the pile. His rings went all over place & landed everywhere but around the yellow teddy bear Suzy wanted. “This is your 10th attempt Hongki shi. Maybe we should move on to the candied apples?” Suzy patted Hongki’s dejected shoulders comfortingly when he gave a frustrated sigh.

He was embarrassed that he couldn’t win Suzy the teddy bear she wanted & had countless people watching him humiliate himself publicly. “Come now. It’s my turn.” Suzy held out her hands for the rings. Hongki handed them to her unable to meet her eyes. He saw Suzy position herself carefully & along with the shocked gasps of the crowd she expertly threw the three rings around the teddy bear.

Hongki gaped at her in shock. She was pretty damn good at the game. Without breaking a sweat Suzy had won the teddy bear on her first attempt. “Here you go. My gift to you. I already told you that I might be the one to win a teddy bear for you.” Suzy handed Hongki the bear amidst the cheers from the fellow funfair goers. Hongki accepted the bear with a huge grin.

“Candied apples, hotdogs, cotton candy, apple cider, rice cakes.. Are we missing anything else?” Hongki sat down an armload of piping hot food items on the picnic bench Suzy was sitting on. “Did you buy the entire food shop itself?” Suzy bit into a candied apple & the caramel off her fingers. “We both love to eat so I thought we deserved a spread.” Hongki gestured towards the food items & grabbed a hotdog for himself.

“These are all so yummy!” Suzy felt her mood lightening as the warm delicious food filled her stomach. “Have I told you that I’m a really good cook? I’ll cook you a goodbye meal before you leave for London.” Hongki told Suzy. She stopped chewing & looked at him thoughtfully. “I never said I was going.” Suzy answered quietly. Hongki met her gaze curiously.

“So you don’t plan on going? Is something stopping you?” He asked passing Suzy some apple cider. She took a sip of the tangy hot liquid & gulped noisily. “I just got the acceptance letter yesterday. I have a week to reply.” Suzy knew that the excuse was lame & cringed inwardly.

Hongki however didn’t pursue the matter much to Suzy’s surprise. It was uncanny how Hongki knew her feelings without Suzy speaking a single word. He knew how to give her space. “Something that a certain someone should give me too.” Suzy’s thoughts went back to Jonghun again.

“I’m so full I could burst.” Suzy patted her stomach. Hongki let out a small burp. “I’m full too.” He told her with a cheeky grin. “Obviously we’ve overestimated our eating prowess.” Suzy pointed at the leftover candied apples & hotdogs. Hongki made a face. “We have. Next time I won’t try to buy both of us 20 hotdogs that’s for sure.” He told Suzy who giggled in reply.

“No next time you should try 40 but without the candied apples.” She advised him. “Would you like to go for a walk?” Hongki asked. Suzy agreed readily. The tangy salt air of the beach mingling with the fragrance of the food items on sale at the stalls made Suzy feel warm & happy. She didn’t know if she could get that happiness being in London for two years.

Hongki & Suzy walked in silence for some time feeling the waves caress their feet. “This feels good!” Suzy sighed her muscles in her shoulders relaxing considerably. “Are you happy?” Hongki asked Suzy watching her playing with the waves. “Yes. In a long while.” Suzy giggled as the waves tickled the soles of her feet. “I’m glad.” Hongki replied moving a little closer to Suzy.

Suzy stiffened when she felt Hongki’s arm around her shoulder. She turned to look at him with a questioning gaze. “I really like you Suzy.” He told her in barely above a whisper. “Hongki shi.. I..” Suzy dug her toes into the sand. “I know. I know.. I’m not forcing you. Just think about it alright. I will wait for you till you return from London.” Hongki told Suzy & she felt his lips brush against her cheek.

“Sir.. Here you go.” The receptionist in Jonghun’s office handed him a large brown envelope when he entered the office. “What’s this? All mail should be sent to my office directly.” Jonghun snapped. He wasn’t in the mood to entertain anyone at that moment.

“But sir.. It was Miss Bae who handed this to me & told me to give it to you personally.” The receptionist held out the envelope hesitantly. Jonghun stared at the brown envelope suspiciously. Suzy had come to the office? Why did she leave without seeing him?

“Give it to me then.” Jonghun took the envelope from the grateful receptionist. Locking the door of his office cabin Jonghun took a seat in his armchair. Not even bothering to tear the envelope properly Jonghun ripped it open. Two pieces of paper fluttered out from the envelope onto the teak wood table.

Jonghun picked up the first piece & his heart sank as he realised that it was Suzy’s resignation letter. She was giving him two weeks notice as he was her employer. However the resignation seemed like child’s play when Jonghun found the second piece of paper.

It was the acceptance letter from the university in London that Jonghun had submitted Suzy’s name to. She had been accepted for a full scholarship for two years and she was expected there in a month’s time. Feeling as if he had been drenched by a bucket of ice cold water Jonghun sat there speechless & numb. Those two letters could only mean one thing. Suzy was going to London & she resigned her job because of that.

“She is really going to leave? How can she just resign like this? How could she leave the job? The company? Me?” Jonghun finally admitted on why he was feeling like his heart had been ripped out. It was because Suzy hadn’t bothered to even tell him personally that she was leaving the job.

“No.. I can’t let this happen. I need to meet her.” Jonghun picked up the phone to dial Suzy’s number when a soft knock sounded on the door of his office. “Who is it?” Jonghun called out. “It’s Suzy.” Her voice came through the door. Jonghun rushed to the door & pulled it open.

Beautiful. That’s what she was. Even as she stood in the doorway shifting her weight from one foot to another nervously. She had no makeup, no flashy clothes, no fashionable hairstyle or shoes yet Jonghun felt like hankering after her like a lovesick puppy. “What have you done to me?” he breathed. Suzy looked up at him. “Excuse me?” she gazed at him curiously.

“Come in.” Jonghun moved aside to let Suzy enter the office. “Did you get my envelope?” Suzy asked him when Jonghun took a seat in front of Suzy. “I got it. So you got the scholarship?” Jonghun placed the letters on his table. Suzy nodded. “I came back because I didn’t think it was right for me to just hand you the envelope through the receptionist.” Suzy added.

Jonghun sighed softly. “So you’re going?” his voice trembled slightly. “I.. I’m not sure. I’m still thinking. When I went out with Hongki shi yesterday I also..” Suzy stopped when Jonghun slammed his fist onto the table. “Hongki? You told that guy before you even told me?!” Jonghun’s face was crimson with rage.

“Look here Jonghun.. You’re misunderstanding. I just had a talk with you just like how I’m talking to you now.” Suzy looked exasperated. “You don’t talk to me anymore Bae Suzy. You just give me cryptic answers when I’m pouring out my heart to you.” Jonghun accused. Suzy blinked at him.

“Of course you have no problem telling Lee Hongki that you’ve been accepted into that university. I expect he was all sweet & supportive.” Jonghun spat. Suzy was silent for a moment. “He was.” she answered evenly.

“Then why did you come to meet me? You should have just listened to Lee Hongki since his opinion is what matters most to you!” Jonghun knew that he was being unreasonable but he couldn’t help it. He wanted to see Suzy so badly yet when she was finally in front of him all she could talk about was Lee Hongki. What about him? What about Choi Jonghun? Didn’t he have feelings too?

“Jonghun.. I came to meet you because I respect you & wanted to let you know that I’m leaving my job and that I’ve been accepted into that scholarship programme. You’re making a big deal out of nothing.” Suzy’s eyes were already flashing with annoyance.

“I told you I LOVED YOU! You didn’t even give me a proper reply and here you are telling me that you are leaving for London & the first person you broke the news to was not me! How can I not make a big deal out of it?” Jonghun stood up & started pacing the room.

“I just.. I don’t even want to talk to you anymore Jonghun! You’re so childish & unreasonable!” Suzy raised her voice. “Yes! I’m childish & unreasonable! Why don’t you go back to Lee Hongki your perfect Prince? Or better yet why don’t you go to London & take him with you?” Jonghun yelled.

Suzy laughed mirthlessly. “Maybe I will.” She told him her eyes filling up with tears. Jonghun watched Suzy storm out of the office & collapsed back onto his armchair with his head in his hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note : Thank you for all the comments my lovely readers! <3 I look forward to your comments as much as you guys look forward to my updates! :D Hope this chapter was good! Comments & suggestions are welcome!

I know this chapter was intense & emotional. Such misunderstandings do happen when two people are in love. Keke..