Chapter 52

I Aim to Please You...

Ryeowook's POV

I stiffened at the threat in her voice and I involuntarily shrunk back from her gaze.  Out of the corner of my eye I could see Seohyun standing next to her father, a victorious smirk plastered on her face.  I could feel the stares of the guests on my back and I shivered slightly.  This was terrifying...

I tried to release Kyuhyun's hand, but he wouldn't let me.  He only squeezed my hand harder.  He squared his shoulders and his eyes locked on his mother.  His eyes were firery and determined.

"Mother, the only marriage I intend to go through with, is the marriage between me and Ryeowook"

He held up our clasped hands as if showing her proof,

"I love him, I have loved him my whole life and I won't have anyone but him.  Do you understand?  I'm gay mother!"

He suddenly spun around to face the dumbstruck audience.  He hastily pulled me into his arms and announced,

"Ladies and gentleman, I'm sorry you came all this way, but I will not and will never marry Seohyun.  I love this man, his name is Kim Ryeowook.  He's the only person that I will ever marry"

The crowd dissolved into confused chatter, everyone's eyes darting between Kyuhyun and his mother.  I flinched as their eyes studied me critically, I could see the judgments in their eyes.  They didn't even make an effort to hide their disapproval.  One look and they could easily see I wasn't high class, everyone could see Kyuhyun was much too good for the likes of me.

As I flushed in humiliation, Kyuhyun's arms stayed wrapped around me, like he was trying to protect me from everyone else.  I looked up and him and he smiled reassuringly, silently telling me that everything was okay.  I nodded, I would endure this and I would trust him.  He had never led me the wrong way before.

Kyuhyun turned back to face the small group and he glared at his mother,

"I will not marry Seohyun"

He turned to look back at Seohyun's father,

"As a parent, I know you want to give your child everything she wants.  But as a parent, you should also want what's best for her, even if it's not what she wants.  Think about this, I'm gay.  I will never love Seohyun and I can never give her what she wants.  Is that the life you want for your daughter?"

Mr. Seo bit his lip and he shot a worried look at his still fuming daughter.  I knew he wasn't a great person, and I knew he had done some horrible things, but he did truly seem to love his daughter.

While Mr. Seo may have been affected by Kyuhyun's reasoning, Seohyun remained unmoved.

"Don't listen to him daddy!" she hissed, "He's not gay!  That little is just messing with his head!"

She glared at me hatefully and she lunged at me, her hand raised, ready to strike me.  I tensed and closed my eyes, waiting for the slap.  I heard the contact, but my eyes flew open in shock when I didn't feel any pain.  My eyes widened when I realized Kyuhyun had shielded me.  His cheek was bright red from having been on the receiving end of Seohyun's wrath.

Seohyun covered in horror, obviously shocked.

"O-oppa" she whimpered.

I ignored her and everyone else in the room.  Kyuhyun was hurt, and that wasn't okay.

"Kyu!" I cried, my eyes locked on his face.

His cheek was still red and it was growing darker each second, it was already starting to bruise.  Pain ripped through my chest, he was hurt because of me, because he was protecting me.

He smiled at me, trying to tell me he was fine, but he winced slightly and I knew he was hurting.  I reached up and caressed his injured cheek, wishing I could do something to ease his pain.  He leaned into my touch and gave me a small smile, showing me he appreciated my concern.

We both snapped out of our trance when Kyuhyun's mother cleared forcefully.  I dropped my hand and blushed, embarrassed to have so openly displayed affection in front of her and a room full of strangers.

"You would take hit for someone like him?"

She didn't sling insults at me, but I could hear the condemnation in her voice.  I looked down at my feet, wishing for the nth time that day that the ground would just swallow me up, and hell would just accept me in early admittance.

However, Kyuhyun still refused to back down.

"I would take a bullet for him mother.  I love him!"

She scoffed, crossing her arms impassively,

"Love has nothing to do with it Kyuhyun!  This is business, there are no emotions in business, haven't you learned anything?  How do you expect to be prosperous if you let stupid things like love get in your way?  You are the heir to our company, act like it!"

I looked up as Kyuhyun's grip grew stronger.  His other hand was clenched into a tight fist and his whole body trembled with his repressed anger. 

"Well maybe I don't want to be the heir"

He said quietly.  He didn't yell, but the threat dripped from his voice.  He glared at his mother, challenging her to push him.  Daring her to make him even madder.

Suddenly she laughed, a sharp biting sound.  Her eyes danced in cold amusement.

"You would give everything you've worked for up for him?"

Kyuhyun smirked,

"You just don't get it to you?  I would give up my life for him, nothing matters without him.  I would die for him"

His mother shook her head,

"All this for some common child off the streets?  Really Kyuhyun?"

"He's not just some random person!  His name is Ryeowook, Kim Ryeowook!"

She rolled her eyes,

"Honestly Kyuhyun, this had gone on long enough.  Stop this foolishness already.  You will marry Seohyun, and you will take over the company.  I don't want to hear anymore of this stupidity.  You are my son and you will listen to me, I won't tolerate your disobedience any longer"

Kyuhyun shrugged and answered lightly,

"Fine, if that's how you feel, then I am no longer your son"

"Kyu!" I whispered urgently, tugging on his hand.  He shot me a small smile and shook his head, telling me he wasn't going to back down.

I watched his mother as shock colored her face.  However, she recovered quickly and her face grew cold and stoic within a matter of seconds.

"Fine" she replied, "Henry will simply take over"

There was another round of buzzing from the crowd.  Everyone had been silent, quietly watching the intense showdown between mother and son.  However, her sudden declaration sent shock waves through the audience.

I looked up in surprise when someone grabbed my other hand.

"Henli..." I whispered.

He shot me his famous grin, something I had truly missed.  He looked back to his mother who's jaw had dropped when she saw him grab my hand.

"Nope, not gonna happen" he declared looking at his mother seriously.

"I'm with Kyuhyun on this.  Ryeowook is my best friend, he's been there for us way more than you have, mother"

Kyuhyun's mother spluttered, obviously not anticipating this reaction.  Suddenly someone from the crowd cleared their throat, causing Kyuhyun, Henry, and me to spin around.

A tall, beautiful woman was standing up.  Her arms were crossed as she looked at Mrs. Cho coldly.

"Ahra..." I heard Kyuhyun whisper quietly.

I blinked, looking at her more closely.  I had never seen his sister before.

She made her way to the center aisle and strutted up to us.  She stood next to Henry and she addressed her mother emotionlessly.

"Be careful mother, you could very well loose all your children now.  I won't stand by and watch you put Kyuhyun through the same torture you forced me into"

I blinked in shock, realizing what she meant.  I guess Kyuhyun wasn't the first Cho child to be forced into an arranged marriage.

Kyuhyun's mother looked at all of us, obviously deciding how she was going to handle the situation.  She shot a nervous look at the guests who were watching her with great interest.  She pursed her lips and the anger in her eyes wavered.  She opened and seemed like she was going to give in.

However, it seemed I underestimated Seohyun.  I should have known she wasn't going to let go this easily.

I tore my gaze away from Kyuhyun's mother when she threw her bouquet on the floor.  She stalked over to us and pointed her finger at me.

"You're going to let Kyuhyun marry him?!  Do you know he's a e?!  Do you know that his last boyfriend is in jail?!  In jail for murder!?"

There was a collective gasp and I could feel everyone's eyes on me like a million pounds.  Kyuhyun's mother looked back at me her eyes icy once again.  There was a sinking feeling in my chest.  I knew it would come back to this.  It would always come back to my past.  It would always come back to me being unworthy.

Both Kyuhyun and Henry glared at Seohyun and Henry even made a move to smack her.  However, I grabbed his hand, stopping him.  I stepped away from them, ignoring their worried looks.  I stepped up to Kyuhyun's mom, my heart beating so loudly I was sure it was echoing off the walls.

She eyed me with barely veiled disgust as I bowed to her deeply.

"I'm Kim Ryeowook.  This wasn't how I wanted to meet you, and I'm sorry for these circumstances"

I paused, but she didn't react, she didn't even acknowledge me.

"What Seohyun said about me being a e and about my ex-boyfriend is true.  I'm not going to lie to you, that would just be contemptuous"

I took a deep breath and tried to calm my nerves.  My knees were shaking and my back burned as the crowd's eyes bored into it.

"I know I'm not worthy of your son.  I know he's so much better than me and I know I will only bring him down"

I swallowed my fear and finally managed to look her in the eyes, trying my best not to flinch away from her icy glare,

"It's completely selfish of me, and I don't blame you if you hate me.  I hate myself for being so weak, but I love Kyuhyun.  I love him so much that it actually hurts.  I never wanted things to end up like this, I tried to give him up, I tried to leave him for his own good, but I am too weak.  I need him, and I just can't live without him... I just can't"

Her eyes remained cold, but I found the confidence to continue.  The truth in my words gave me courage and my love made me brave.

"I know there's nothing I can do to make up for what I've done.  Loving him is wrong and I know it makes me a bad person, but I won't give him up.  I will spend the rest of my life trying to atone for my sin, and I will spend every day of my life trying to make it up to him.  I will dedicate my life to making him happy and keeping him safe, I will do everything in my power to please him"

I looked up at her, my eyes pleading,

"So please.  I-i can't live without your son... he's my whole world..."

There was a warm presence behind me, and I knew Kyuhyun was there. 

"Mother, if feel anything towards me.  If you have any motherly love towards me at all, you won't oppose our relationship.  I will die without Ryeowook, I'm not exaggerating or being dramatic.  If you value my life at all you will accept him.  I need him"

His hand tangled with mine, and our fingers wove together seamlessly.  We both watched Kyuhyun's mother, waiting for any sign.

She stared right back at us, her eyes not missing our intertwined hands.  Finally her eyes locked on mine and she said softly,

"Mr. Seo, I'm sorry but I'm calling this marriage off.  It's obvious Kyuhyun in incapable of being in a satisfactory relationship with your daughter.  I'm very sorry, and I honestly hope this won't impact our business plans"

My eyes darted over to Seohyun's father anxiously, and I had to repress a smile as he nodded,

"I agree with your decision.  I wouldn't want to subject my daughter to a loveless marriage.  We can meet later to discuss things"

Kyuhyun's mother nodded and stepped up to address the crowd,

"I'm very sorry for wasting your time, but there will be no wedding today.  Please feel free to enjoy the reception party that will be held in the hotel's main ballroom.  My husband and I will compensate for the trouble my son has caused today"

She bowed deeply and then gestured for the attendants to start escorting the guests out.  However, before anyone was able to leave, Seohyun cried out once again.

Her father tried to hold her back and even said a few scolding words, but she simply ignored him.  She came up to me and glared at me hatefully before turning and yelling at Kyuhyun,

"Are you out of your mind!?  Are you really going to stay with this dirty !?"

I expected Kyuhyun to get mad, but he smiled instead.

Suddenly he leaned down and captured my lips in a searing kiss.  It didn't matter that we had a huge audience watching us and it didn't matter that Kyuhyun's parents were watching us as well.  All that mattered was the pure love that flowed between us.

When he pulled away, I was flushed, but I couldn't stop the smile on my face.  Kyuhyun smiled down at me tenderly before turning back to face a furious Seohyun.  He smirked at her evilly and replied,

"He's not a , he's Kim Ryeowook, the only person I will ever love.  And to answer your question; yes, I have every intention of making him mine"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah Seohyun, she's a to the very end *shakes head*

Anyway, hope you liked this!

Location: still in my bed.... I'm going insane from the sheer boredom!!!!

Mood: better... at least I'm not coughing my lungs up every 5 minutes...

Music: "Te Amo" by U-Kiss (still deciding if I like this one...)