Chapter 32

I Aim to Please You...

Ryeowook's POV

I gulped nervously and I hastily wiped my sweaty hands on my jeans.  My heart was beating so hard I could hear it in my ears, and it felt ike the walls were closing in on me.  A shudder ran through my body and I gave a soft yelp when I felt a warm hand grab my shoulder.

I sighed with relief when I saw it was only Kyuhyun, but I still couldn't do anything about the adrenaline that coursed through my body, making me even more jittery than I was before.  Kyuhyun looked at me with knitted brows and his lips pursed in worry.  He rubbed my shoulders gently, doing his best to loosen up my rigid muscles.

"Wook, if you're this nervous, we don't have to do this now.  Seriously, I don't care, it's really fine"

I smiled at him distractedly, but shook my my head,

"N-no... this is something I need to d-do.  The longer w-we wait, the w-worse it wil b-be"

He sighed and nodded slightly, knowing that once I made up my mind, there was no going back.  I took a deep breath and raised a shaky hand to knock on the front door of my parents' guest cottage.  A heard muffled sounds from within the cozy house and before long the door was pulled open, revealing my mother dressed in her yellow house apron.

She grinned at us and greeted,

"Hello, what brings you two here?"

She approached me and squeezed my arm softly in a motherly sign of affection.  I opened my mouth to answer her, but didn't get the chance to explain as she ushered us inside, fussing over us like we were children.  Although I was still nervous, I still managed to roll my eyes and groan,

"Umma!  Stop babying us, it's not like it's a special occasion.  We literally see you everyday!"

She shrugged it off and simply replied,

"Well what do you expect me to do?  I baby you because you are my sons"

I paled at her reference to Kyuhyun and I being brothers, and I heard Kyu let out a muffled snort.  I kicked him and glared while secretly panicking.  It was bad enough that I had to tell my mother I was gay, but now I was practically involved in an uous relationship.

Kyuhyun discreetly took my hand in his, offering his support.  I shot him a grateful glance, my heart rate slowing slightly.  My mother walked back into the room, a plate of cookies and two cups of tea in her hand.  She set down the treats and handed us each a mug before setting herself on the loveseat that faced us.

She smiled and looked at us expectantly, and I felt my hand begin to shake.  I removed my hand from Kyuhyun's grasp, not wanting him to know how scared I really was.  He shot me a look and I gave a weak smile, trying to convince both him and myself that everything was going to be okay.

"U-umma..." I began haltingly.  Her eyebrows scrunched together in obvious concern and she questioned,

"Are you okay?"

"I-i'm f-fine... I just h-have to t-tell you something..."

She nodded encouragingly, but I could still see the worry in her warm eyes.

"U-umma, I, um... uh... I-i might me s-sorta... ehm...g-gay..." I stuttered awkwardly, my face burning with embarassment.  There was a split second of agonizing silence before my mother burst out laughing.

My head snapped up and I stared at her, my eyes wide with confusion.  I shot Kyu a questioning look, but he seemed as mystified as I was.  I turned my attention back to my mother who was just calming down from her bout of laughter.  She shook her head before giggling,

"I'm sorry about that, but how did you expect me to react?  I've known you were gay for years now"

My jaw dropped open and I just looked at her blankly, waiting for her to elaborate.  She rolled her eyes good naturedly and continued,

"Honey, I'm your mother, I know you better than you think.  Don't worry about it, your father has known for quite a while now too"

My face turned a violent shade of red and I wished the earth would just swallow me up.  Honestly, the fact that both my parents knew about my ual orientation was a little bit discerning... maybe I appeared more gay than I thought... I would definately have to ask someone later...

My mom chuckled again and settled back ino the couch, looking relieved that there was nothing horribly wrong with me.  She glanced up at Kyuhyun curiously and asked,

"Did you just come for moral support?"

Now it was Kyuhyun's turn to be flustered.  He smiled uncomfortably and fiddled with the hem of his shirt.

"Uh no.  Actually I'm kind of invovled in this too..." he trailed off, sending me a pleading look.

I sighed and turned to my mother,

"Um... I'm sort of dating him..."

My mother's eyes widened in shock and she looked at us in horror.  I cringed at the look in her eyes and released a low whimper.  Kyuhyun's lips formed a tight line, but I could tell her reaction had pained him.  I reached over and grabbed his hand and squeezed it before telling my mom,

"I know this must be shocking to you, and I know it must be hard for you to accept, but we're serious... u-umma, I need him..."

Kyuhyun squeezed my hand back and I blinked back the tears that threatened to fall.  I had to be strong... for the both of us.  My mother covered and I could see tears forming in her eyes.  She stepped close to me and I squeezed my eyes shut, expecting her to hit me.  However, my eyes popped open in surprise when her hand caressed my cheek gently.

"U-umma?" I asked, not understanding her actions.  Her lips quivered and tears ran down her face, but she still managed to give me a shaky smile.

"Oh honey, I knew this would happen.  The head may forget, but the heart never does.  I knew you would end up with Kyuhyun since you two were children... I've been expecting this..."

"But why are you crying then?" I asked in distress.  She gave me  sad smile and sighed,

"I knew you two were meant to be, but sometimes fate is cruel.  It's dangerous for you to be together, I almost lost you once... I-i can't go through that... not again..."  She turned away, trying to compose herself before she continued,

"I can do my best to help you, but there's only so much I can do.  Ultimately, this is up to you two... this is something that only you can do"  She steped away from me and turned to Kyuhyun.

"Protect him, I know you love him, so I trust you.  Please, protect him"

Kyuhyun looked at her seriously and nodded, his grip on my hand tightening,

"He will be safe, I promise you"

She smiled and nodded, placing her trust in his hands.

"Stay strong, love is never easy, and you have every obstacle standing in your way.  Love is all about sacrafice and trust, there is no such thing as pride.  There's no way to avoid the pain, but you can overcome it, I know you can"

My mother nodded at us, and I felt my own tears fall at her faith. I knew the dangers we faced, but now the threat seemed more ominous, more real. Kyuhyun pulled me into a hug, and I breathed in his smell, feeling safe in his arms. I didn't know what awaited us, but I didn't care. All I knew was that the words I spoke to my mother were true...

I needed Kyuhyun...

 

Kyuhyun's POV

I held him tight, my stomach twisting in fear. There was so much at stake here, not just my future or my happiness, but Ryeowook's life. I was playing with fire and my love was the prize... either I won, or he was destroyed.

Doubts swirled in my mind and I questioned if this was really worth it, could I really put his life on the line? I squeezed him tighter, wishing I knew his mind, wishing he would let me in. I looked at Ryeowook's mother, and she sent me a knowing look.

That look told me that she knew of his fragility and that she knew my fears. For some reason, the fact that she knew was comforting, it made me feel less alone. It helped me to think that someone understood my doubts and could see what was in my heart.

I knew by the way she looked at her son that she knew of his past. She could see the scars on his heart and she was silently asking me to heal them. I nodded at her, telling her I understood, and she smiled. Both of us knew the precarious truth, and I worried we would have enough time.

It was troubling to think that I might never have the chance to help him...

  I had to mend him before I could save him...  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I didn't update last weekend but my internet went out and I couldn't stand typing on my cell. Sorry this chappie so short.

Ugh... I feel like such a troll... *shoots self in foot*

Anyway, thanks for putting up with me and reading this story, you guiys are daebek!!!!

Comments = ~<3

Location: college application hell

Mood: stressed!!!! I need to have a major like yesterday!!!!!

Music: "Ring Ding Dong" by SHINee (obviously this isn't the most relaxing song so this is probaby adding to my anxiety...)