Chapter 50

I Aim to Please You...

Ryeowook's POV

I quickly left the room.  I didn't look back, I didn't want to see his face.  I didn't want to see the disgust or the fear in his eyes.  I couldn't handle that.

I walked blindly, I didn't know where I was going and honestly I didn't really care.  I swiped at my eyes, feeling empty.  Part of me was relieved, happy that my horrible secret had finally been revealed.  However, another part of me just felt sick.  The thought of Kyuhyun hating me, even fearing me caused my heart to twist painfully.

I sighed and sniffled, I had gotten what I wanted in the end.  Kyuhyun hated me, and now he would be able to move on with his life. 

The opening bars of the wedding march reached my ears, and I looked up.  The room where the wedding ceremony was going to take place was right in front of me.  I knew I shouldn't do it, but I walked closer, taking a peek inside.

Kyuhyun was standing at the end of the aisle, standing tall and firm.  My eyes lingered on him, but I tore them away, not wanting to do something rash.

My eyes flittered over to the bride.  Seohyun was beautiful.  Her gown was long and elegant and it made her look like a princess.  Her back was to me, and I couldn't see her face, but I could imagine her smile, she was finally getting what she wanted.

Despite the heaviness in my heart I smiled.  Even if Kyuhyun didn't like her, Seohyun loved him.  I could only hope that he would grow to love her as well. 

I closed my eyes and said a silent prayer, wishing for his happiness and his health, this would really be that last time I ever saw him.  I would make absolutely sure our paths didn't cross in the future.

I finished my wish right when the priest began the ceremony.  I turned away, not wanting to see.  I started walking away, tears in my eyes.  I tried to console myself, comforting myself with the fact that at least this time I got to say good bye.  I smiled faintly at this.

"Ryeowook"

I turned around when I heard Henry's voice.  He looked worried and I smiled at him.  He had changed, he had grown up.  He wasn't the same silly, clingy Henry as before, but I could still see my best friend in him.

Maybe I had changed too, matured a little.  I couldn't really be sure, but I hoped so.  I wanted to grow up, it was about time for me to be a new Ryeowook, a stronger Ryeowook.

I waited as he walked up to me, it was obvious he wanted to talk.

"What are you doing out here, you know your brother's getting married in there, right?" I asked him, gesturing towards the room I had just walked away from.

"Did you talk to him?" he asked, ignoring my question.

I nodded, smiling sadly.  Henry looked at me oddly, and I could practically see the cogs turning in his brain.  Suddenly he reached out and pulled me into a hug.  It startled me, but soon I relaxed and wrapped my arms around him.  We had both changed, but he still felt familiar.  He still felt like my best friend.

"I'm so so sorry" he whispered, tightening his hold on me, "I didn't mean to hurt you like this"

I pulled away, smiling again.

"No, I should thank you.  You were right, he needed to know"

Henry grabbed my hand and squeezed it,

"But he knows you love him right?  If he knows, then what is he doing in there?"

Henry's eyes flickered towards the ceremony room.  I laughed, but it sounded flat and awkward,

"Love doesn't solve everything Henry.  There are just some things that love can't overcome" I shrugged, trying to hide the pain in my heart.

"But what you did wasn't that bad!" he insisted as he glared at Seohyun's back through the open door.

I looked up at him in shock,

"Y-you knew?" I asked, my voice shaky.

He turned his gaze back on me and his eyes softened.

"I found out a long time ago, I've known for a while now"

I looked away, suddenly feeling very vulnerable.  I felt dirty all over again.

"Henry, I am so sorry for everything.  I'm sorry my past has dirtied you, I honestly hate myself for that"

I stared at my feet, my face burning with shame.  I thought about all the good people I had hurt with my secret and I cringed.  I really was a bad person...

Henry hugged me again, and he whispered,

"Stop.  You may not be innocent anymore, but that doesn't mean you're not good.  I've seen what you've done.  I know you've sacrificed yourself for Kyuhyun, and I know how you've been punishing yourself.  Your friend told me everything, even how you would fall asleep crying every night"

I buried my head deeper into his chest, trying to stop myself from crying.  I had cried enough.

He pulled away and leaned down so his face was level with mine.

"Wookie, you've been hurt all this time.  You endured so much pain all alone, all for Kyuhyun's sake.  When will you do something for yourself?"

He my cheek softly, his eyes sad.  I smiled,

"I don't deserve anything" I answered honestly, "Why do I get to be happy?  Those people who died won't ever feel happiness again, and their families live with constant pain.  Don't I deserve to live the same way?"

Henry bit his lip, but didn't say anything.  I grabbed his hand that was on my face and I brought it to my lips and kissed it gently.  He looked at me with wide eyes.

"Thank you Henli.  You were really the best friend I could ever ask for and there will always be a place for you in my heart.  I'm saying goodbye now, I won't see you again"

He opened his mouth to protest, but I silenced him with a shake of my head.  There was nothing else to say, there really wasn't.  I gave his hand a final squeeze before releasing it.  I turned and started to walk away.  I could hear the priest through the open door.

"Do you, Seo Joohyun take Kyuhyun to be your husband?"

"I do"

"Do you, Cho Kyuhyun take Seohyun to be your wife?"

"..."

 

Kyuhyun's POV

The ceremony was nothing but buzzing to my ears.  I felt Seohyun's grip on my hand, but I didn't process it.  I'm sure in the back of my mind I realized what was happening, but my brain was so muddled that everything was little more than a blur.

My eyes scanned over the crowd and I paused when I looked down the aisle and out the door.  I got tunnel vision as I focused on the small figure I knew so well.

Ryeowook was talking with Henry, I watched as he spoke and Henry's face contorted with pain.  He opened his mouth to protest, but Ryeowook smiled and my brother stopped.  Ryeowook turned away, heading towards the exit of the chapel.

"Do you, Cho Kyuhyun take Seohyun to be your wife?"

I didn't hear the question, my eyes still locked on Ryeowook.

A low buzz ran through the guests and Seohyun's grip on my hand grew tighter.  The priest cleared his throat awkwardly, breaking me out of my daze.

I looked up at him startled, and he repeated,

"Do you, Cho Kyuhyun take Seohyun to be you wife?"

I blinked and looked back at the door.  Henry now leaned against the doorway, his eyes meeting mine.  He looked at me expectantly.  My eyes traveled past him and I could still see Ryeowook, walking towards the exit.  My eyes scanned the crowd and I was met with confused glances, and the murderous glares of my parents.  I looked at Seohyun and I saw her shooting me a pointed look.

Suddenly, my brain snapped back into clarity.  The haze that had left me numb and unresponsive lifted, and I was again in control.  I looked at Seohyun and snatched my hand away, earning a horrified gasp from the audience.

"No!" I shouted, shaking my head, "I won't do it!"

A collective gasp rose from the audience and I glared at them hatefully.  They were nothing to me, they were simply strangers my parents had invited for business.  This wasn't a wedding, this was a business deal, and I had had enough.  I wanted out.

I met Henry's eyes and he smiled at me.  He raised an eyebrow and tilted his head in the direction Ryeowook had left.  The message in his gaze was obvious,

"What are you waiting for?"

That was the only prompting I required.  Before anyone could stop me I was running, running faster than I had ever moved in my whole life.  I flew out of the chapel, my eyes frantically searching for the one I loved.  I caught sight of him and my heart began to race, not in fear or nervousness, but with hope.

I sprinted after him, feeling more sure of myself than I had in my entire life. 

"Ryeowook!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're getting close to the end y'all!

I'm not sure how many chapters yet... maybe two?

Anyway, thanks for hanging with this even when I had writer's block and wanted to quit!  You guys have no idea how much your support means to me ^^

Location: bed... I'm not allowed to leave my room, my mom doesn't want me to spread my germs >.>

Mood: still feel like death warmed over...ugh...

Music: "IYAH" by Boyfriend (*shock* I'm actually starting to like Boyfriend, their new stuff is good... I just can't stand the cutesy bubble gum they did before... I'm talking about "Love Style" here!)