Chapter 30

I Aim to Please You...

Kyuhyun's POV

I wasn't sure if I was happy to be home or not. I knew Woookie was happy, he had missed his parents and I knew he was eager to see Sungmin and Yesung again. However, I knew what kind of turmoil awaited us with regards to my mother and Seohyun. 

Ryeowook had no idea that we were walking into a firestorm...or rather that I was dragging him into such a situation. I knew with absolute certainty that Seohyun would stop at nothing to separate us, and I also knew that convincing my mother would be next to impossible.

It also didn't help that I was feeling insecure about our relationship. I knew Wookie promised to help me, and I trusted him, but I worried that our plan would not be strong enough without the added assurance of mutual love. 

How could I convince my mother that we were in love when I didn't even believe such a claim myself?  I had finally come to the conclusion that we needed to have a serious conversation about what had happened in his past. 

I knew it wasn't m place to push him, but seeing as his past had a direct impact on my future, I felt like I deserved to know. I wasn't being wholly selfish in my motives, I also wanted him to know hat he could trust me. I wanted him to know  that I would always be here for him and that I would never hurt him or let him be hurt. Mostly, I just wanted him to know that he was safe with me.

My fears and concerns must have been obvious on my face because I was jolted out of my thoughts by a hand gently smoothing out my forehead. I looked up, a bit startled, to find Ryeowook smiling at me sweetly.

"Stop worrying, everything is going to be fine" he soothed, sounding confident.  I returned his grin, albeit a bit warily, but rolled my eyes when Henry piped up,

"Yeah stop stressing, you're gonna get wrinkles!  Besides, failure isn't even an option when someone as amazing as myself has your back!"

Ryeowook giggled and playfully smacked his arm before turning his attention back to me.  He hugged me, knowing that his contact always had a soothing effect on me. I finally managed a genuine smile as I returned his embrace.

Beside us, Henry made kissy faces and I glared at him in warning,wishing he would stop his childish antics.  Ryeowook took to tracing patterns on my arm as we sat in relative silence.  I glanced at my surroundings and stifled a sigh.  We would be back at the manor soon and I still wasn't sure what we were facing.

I glanced down to watch Wookie mindlessly my arm, a faraway look in his eyes.  I was about to ask him if he was okay when Henry's phone went off.  Ryeowook snapped back into focus and immediately started laughing when he heard Henry's ringtone.

"Really Henli?  'Gangnam Style'?"

I turned and chuckled when I saw my dongsaeng's face turn red.  He muttered under his breath,

"What?  It's big right now!" before answering his phone.  Ryeowook was still smiling and I couldn't help but laugh softly as he began doing the silly dance moves.  Out of the corner of my eye, I glanced at Henry, and immediatley became worried when I saw his red face now completely drained of color.

Ryeowook must have sensed the sudden change as well because he stopped and quickly turned to face Henry, his eyes wide with concern.  We both listened intently as my brother shakily said 'yes' a few times before hanging up.  Ryeowook and I exchanged worried looks, and finally Ryeowook asked hesitantly,

"Henli... what's wrong?"

He looked up at us, but his eyes were glazed and he just looked lost.  I felt Ryeowook stiffen beside me, obviously startled at seeing the change in my dongsaeng.  The uneasiness grew in my stomach as he did his best to avoid our eyes.

"T-that was mom..." he began in a halting voice.  A shudder went down my spine as the icy dread began to spread throughout my body.

"She and Seohyun's father are already undergoing meetings regarding the merger... at Seohyun's suggestion..."

I cursed loudly and resisted the urge to kick something.  This was exactly the type of thing I had worried about.  I shouldn't have been surprised, I knew Seohyun would play dirty, but just because I expected it didn't mean it made it any easier to swallow.

Things were about to get bad...

 

Ryeowook's POV

Merger?  I didn't know what that entailed, but judging by the way Kyu reacted I knew it was bad.  The term sounded vaguely familiar, and for once in my life, I actually regretted not paying attention in my business classes. 

Henry, even thought he was still looking somewhat dazed, must have noticed my confusion because he explained,

"A merger is when two seperate companies merge together to form one big company" I nodded in understanding, but failed to see why this was this was such a big deal.  This time Kyuhyun cut in, and he elaborated through clenched jaws,

"Once the companies begin to merge, it will literally be impossible to break the marriage agreement.  My mother will never risk our business relationship with Seohyun's father.  If the merger goes through then I won't even be able to run away.  If I run then the partnership will fall apart and thousands of innocent workers will lose their jobs because of my selfishness"

I bit my lip as despair began to set in.  It was an ingenious plan, one that would guarantee happiness at Kyuhyun's extent... at my extent...

"That rancid !" Henry snarled, obviously coming out of his shock.  Kyuhyun's eyes flashed and his hands curled into to tight fists as he seethed,

"We knew she was going to pull something like this"

"I know!" Henry hissed in frustration, "I just didn't think she would be so smart... I was expecting a direct fight!"

Kyuhyun shook his head,

"Never underestimate that girl, she's has no conscience and she's a calculating , she'll do whatever it takes" Kyuhyun looked at Henry seriously as he warned,

"It's still early, and I know she has more up her sleeve, she most likely has a direct attack waiting for us"

I watched the exchange with wide eyes, the way they talked made me feel like we were going into war.  I hesitantly asked,

"I-is she really this cruel?  She's willing to trap Kyuhyun in a marriage even when she knows he doesn't love her?"

Kyuhyun snorted and spat,

"This is the same Seohyun that freakin' pushed you off a cliff!  What do you think!?"

I flinched at the venom in his voice, and I paled at the mention of my past and I whispered,

"Oh... yeah..."

"Kyuhyun!" Henry scolded, "I know you're pissed, but don't take it out on Wookie!"

"I'm fine" I protested, but Henry ignored me and wrapped me in a comforting hug,

"Don't lie, it's okay if you're scared" he murmured softly.  I nodded into his chest, taking deep breaths to steady the panicked beating of my heart.  There was just so much to take in and I didn't know how I was supposed to react.

I was shifted gently and I found myself nestled on Kyuhyun's lap, my face now buried into his chest.

"I'm sorry" he whispered in my ear, sounding legitimately apologetic. 

"I didn't mean to be so harsh...it's not fair to you"

I nodded but didn't lift my face from his chest.  He rubbed my back soothingly and continued softly,

"But Wookie, you need to understand, this isn't a joke.  Seohyun isn't someone to be taken lightly, you have experienced what she can do first hand.  I need you to be aware"

At this point, Henry chimed in,

"He's right Wookie, you need to be on guard. Stay with me, Kyu, Sungmin or Yesung as much as you can.  We'll move you into Kyu's room as soon as we get back, okay?"

I pulled away from Kyu's hold and nodded.  Henry looked at me strangely and asked,

"Why are you so flushed?"

I only turned redder and stared down at my lap, silently cursing my face for betraying my embarrassment.  I did my best to evade the question, but it as a failed cause as Henry immediately jumped to conclusions.

"Omo!  Naughty Wookie!  Are you thinking about all the dirty things that will happen when you two share a room!?"

"Yah!  I'm not a ert like you!" I defended, my face burning.

Kyuhyun laughed, his eyes glinting mischievously, his previous anger seemingly gone.

"Well what were you thinking then?" he asked.

I glared at the two and pouted slightly,

"You know, sometimes I really hate you guys"

Henry chuckled while Kyuhyun teased,

"Psh!  Don't lie, you know you love us!"

"That's what you think" I grumbled under my breath.

Henry rolled his eyes and interrupted us before we got into a full fledged snark war.

"Anyway, back to the matter at hand, what was bothering you Wook?"

I cringed, not pleased that the earlier subject had been renewed.  I looked down at my lap, but I could feel the pressure of their combined stares weighing on me.  Finally I sighed and with a faint blush on my cheeks I groaned faintly,

"Kyu...we have to tell my parents..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this update took so long and is so short.  I am not with my laptop so I'm updating on my phone...

Let me tell you, it's a real b**** >.<

Anyway, sorry again, this story is giving me trouble so please bear with me

Thanks and sorry again!

Comments = ~<3

Location: My obachan's house

Mood: annoyed... I NEED MY LAPTOP!!!!!

Music: "Catch Me" by TVXQ (I can't even process my feels for this song.... It's just too amazing... *spazzes epically*)