Chapter 47

I Aim to Please You...

Kyuhyun's POV

"Kyu, are you sure you're okay?"

I looked at Henry blankly before nodding,

"Yeah" I answered.

He studied me and bit his lip, obviously concerned.  I knew he was worried but I couldn't bring myself to really care.

"Um, I gotta run some where really quickly.  Do you mind?"

I didn't bother responding and I didn't turn to look at him as he stood and quietly left the room. 

I stared at myself in the mirror.  My hair was styled and makeup concealed every blemish.  My tux was spotless and crisp and there wasn't a thread out of place.  The perfection may have been attractive, but it made me look artificial, fake.  The vacant look in my eyes did nothing to help the effect.  When I looked into the mirror, I barely recognized the person who stared back at me.

I stared at the clock and watched as the second hand kept ticking and time kept moving forward.  It was ten, in six hours I would be married.

This time there was no dread at the realization.  I had finally accepted it.  Ryeowook had broken me, and I was done fighting.  What was the point anyway?

My whole body was numb.  I couldn't feel pain or horror or anger.  My emotionless shell was back and I receded from the world.  Ryeowook had once lured me away from my cold exterior, now he was the reason I clung to it.

I loved him, hell I still loved him.  Even if he hated me and even if I meant nothing to him I still loved him with every fiber of my being.  I loved him, but it was obvious he didn't feel the same for me. 

When I slept with him last night, it wasn't just , it was everything.  I thought he would feel my love, I thought he would understand my heart, but I was obviously mistaken.

I really was stupid.  Looking back, it was obvious that the person I slept with wasn't my Ryeowook.  I wasn't sure if it was simply an act or if it was the real Ryeowook coming through, but either way I wasn't going to fight anymore.

For two years I had been living with the thought that one day we would be together.  I refused to entertain the idea that he was telling the truth in the letter.  My love and my own desire was enough to blind me and there was never any place for doubt in my heart or mind.

However, I suppose I never thought about Ryeowook's feelings.  I never thought he would dismiss me and I never thought he would cast me off.  It didn't matter how much I loved him, if he didn't want me I wouldn't force myself on him. 

This was my farewell gift to him.  I would give him the clean break he wanted two years ago.  I would let him go and let him live his life without the burden of my love. 

I would free him.

 

Ryeowook's POV

I stared at the ceiling and listened to the meticulous ticking of the clock.  I counted the seconds, trying to find ways to occupy my brain.  I focused my mind completely on the meaningless counting, I couldn't let myself think because thinking only brought me more pain.

I was alone now.  Zhoumi and hyung had nursed me through the night, holding me as I cried.  But now I pushed them away, not wanting them to waste anymore of their time.  I had already troubled them enough and I couldn't bring myself to burden them anymore.

Besides, what could they do?  They could wipe my tears, but new ones always fell.  They could whisper soothing words, but the words fell on deaf ears.  It was useless for them to comfort me.  I would never be okay, so I didn't want them to waste their time.

I curled up into the sheets that smelled like Kyuhyun.  These sheets and the soreness of my body were the only reminders I had of the man I loved.

I blinked back tears, refusing to cry again.  I hoped he hated me, despised me with every fiber of his being.  I hoped he scorned me and felt disgusted every time he spoke my name.  I hoped he would forget me and be happy.  That's all I wanted, for him to be happy.

Tick-tock... tick-tock... tick-tock...

My heart beat synchronized with the ticking of the clock.  Each time the second hand jerked forward, my heart broke a little more.  Today the man I loved was getting married.

I closed my eyes as a fresh wave of agony crashed into me.  The dam in my mind burst, and the painful thoughts came flooding forward.  

I hated myself for feeling like this.  I deserved the pain, it was my punishment. 

I should have regretted the moment I stepped into Cho Manor, I should have regretted meeting Kyuhyun, I should have regretted kissing him, I should have regretted loving him...

I should have, but I just couldn't bring myself to.  Each memory of Kyuhyun was precious, and I cherished everything.  I couldn't make myself forget, and I didn't want to.  I knew I had done the right thing, but I couldn't help but feel pain. 

I smiled sadly as I remembered the feel of his hands on my body, the feel of his lips on mine.  I told myself that it was enough.  That it was enough to know that he held me, enough to know he had loved me.

The second hand kept moving and I found myself wondering how long until Kyuhyun married Seohyun.  I wondered how long until she took his lips. 

These thoughts haunted me and despite my best efforts, more tears leaked from my swollen eyes.  I sat up and buried my face into the sheets, sobbing harshly.  It was a mystery how I still had any tears left, but it seemed like my tears were as infinite as my agony.

A soft knock sounded at the door, but I ignored it, hoping the person would just go away.  I didn't lift my head from the sheets as I heard the door slide open.

"G-gege, I r-really don't w-want t-to talk" I sniffled.

There was no response but I still didn't look up, hoping my friend would just leave me alone. 

I stiffened when I heard a familiar voice,

"You lied didn't you?"

I slowly lifted my head and my eyes locked with Henry's.  My eyes widened and I hastily wiped my face, trying to erase any evidence of my tears.

"W-what do y-you w-want?" I asked, trying to sound cold, but my voice shook too much to be convincing.

Henry continued to stare me down, his eyes condemning.

"Why did you run and why do you keep running?!  Do you enjoy hurting him?!"

I flinched and looked away, not being able to handle his words.

"Ryeowook" he started again, this time his voice was gentler, "Why did you lie?"

Tears were falling again, and I was simply too exhausted to care anymore.  I was tired of deception and I was tired of hiding how I really felt.

I exploded.

"What the hell did you want me to do Henry?!  Did you want me to tell the truth and ruin his life?!  So what if I love him?!  Loving him doesn't make me a good person and it doesn't excuse the things I've done.  Telling him I love him back would only hurt him~" I trailed off, my breaths coming out in harsh bursts.

"So you slept around, is that the reason you rejected him?  That's your reason?!"

I laughed bitterly,

"That's the least of my sins.  Trust me, Kyuhyun deserves someone so much better than me, just leave it Henry.  Just leave it"

He looked at me, his eyes angry,

"How am I supposed to just let this go when my brother is broken?  He like a zombie!  I hated that emotionless Kyuhyun, but now he's back!  He's back and it's all your fault!"

"W-what?" I asked softly.

Henry glared at me and hissed,

"It's worse than before.  He won't talk to anyone... he didn't even cry, not once..."

I stared at my feet, Henry's words slowly sinking in.  The thought of Kyuhyun closing himself off and internalizing his pain was scary.  I wanted Kyuhyun to be angry, I wanted him to hate me.  I didn't want this, I never wanted this.

"He's getting married at four, the ceremony is being held in the hotel's chapel"

My head snapped up,

"W-why are you telling me this?" I whispered.

Henry was already walking towards the door.  He stopped and looked at me over his shoulder.

"I'm telling you because I know you care.  No matter what you said you still love him"

His eyes softened and he lost the hateful edge in his voice.

"You can't just leave him like this, it's cruel.  Talk to him, he of all people deserves an explanation"

With that, he walked out of the room, not looking back even once.

I stared down at my feet.  My heart throbbed and I reached up and clutched my chest.  I squeezed my eyes closed, but this time there was no wetness.  I had finally run out of tears.

Tick-tock... tick-tock... tick-tock...

I glanced at the clock.  It was already one.

Henry was right, I couldn't leave Kyuhyun like this.  I still couldn't be with him, but he needed to know the truth.  It was the least I could do.

I had three hours... just three hours to fix what I had broken.  Three hours to fix Kyuhyun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another update, sorry it's coming so late.

I wanted to finish this fic before school started, but I'm starting tomorrow so I failed... ;w;

But the end is coming soon, I promise ^^

Thank you all for reading!!!!!

Location: watching the Australian Open on the couch

Mood: depressed... I really hate school...

Music: "Heartquake" by Super Junior- KRY ft. Eunhyuk (I like this version better than the one with Yunho... *hides from the Cassies*)