Chapter 40

I Aim to Please You...

Kyuhyun's POV

"Ryeowook..." I whispered, my eyes trained on the small figure.

Henry turned to look at me, his eyes wide with confusion.

"What?" he whispered, grabbing my arm and forcing me to look at him. 

"Can't you see!?  The person that walked through the door is Wookie!"

Henry looked slightly worried and he waved his hand in from of my face.  I quickly pushed it away and snapped,

"What the hell are you doing!?"

"I'm checking to see if your eyes work, I think you've had too much to drink.  Kyu, I know you want to see Ryeowook, but this is too far.  Hyung, when was Ryeowook ever a girl?"

I blinked and turned  back to the person I had mistaken for Ryeowook.  I blinked and realized that the small figure was wearing a dress and most definitely had s.

"Oh" I breathed softly, disappointment washing over me in oppressive waves. 

Henry patted my shoulder comfortingly and quickly asked the bartender to clean up the broken glass.  I continued to stare at the girl that I swore was my Wookie.  Henry nudged me and gently led me away from the bar.  I couldn't help but let my eyes linger on the girl.  The resemblance was striking...

Before I had a chance to clear my thoughts I found a pair of arms latched onto my own.  I looked down and frowned when Seohyun's pouting face looked up at me.

"Oppa!" she whined annoyingly.

I resisted the urge to pull away and swallowed my disgust, not wanting to cause a scene in front of the guests.  I subtly tried to remove myself from her embrace, but she refused to loosen her hold.  I shot Henry a pleading look, but he was too busy glaring at Seohyun to notice me.

"What do you want Seohyun?" I asked through clenched teeth.

Her bright red lips stretched into another fake smile as she cooed,

"Let's go around and greet our guests, 'kay?"

I was about to refuse and push her away, but I caught sight of my mother's glare and I nodded mechanically.  Seohyun gave an high pitched squeal that earned grimaces from both me and my brother.

I allowed her to pull me along, but I grabbed my brother's sleeve with my free hand.  I wasn't going to let him abandon me again.  

We went around the room, exchanging meaningless and shallow small talk.  I accepted their congratulations with a fake smile and I politely inquired about things I didn't give a flying about.  Secretly, I was dying to meet the woman that resembled Ryeowook, I really wanted to get a closer look at her.

About an hour into the party, my wish was granted as Seohyun pulled me over to a group of Chinese businessmen who were talking amongst themselves.  I noticed the girl had her arm wrapped around a tall handsome man and for a split second I felt a surge of irrational jealously.

Apparently my feelings must have been visible because Henry nudged my side and I quickly dropped the scowl from my face.  I regained my plastic smile as Seohyun introduced herself.

My eyes were focused on the girl and I grew curious when she suddenly went deathly pale.  Her eyes suddenly flew around the room in a panicked manner.  When her eyes fell onto mine they widened in horror, and I gasped softly.  Those were undoubtedly Ryeowook's eyes staring back at me...

 

Ryeowook's POV

Honestly, when Siwon had said we were going to a party I thought things would be much more lively.  Apparently, the main event of this so called "party" was standing around and talking about stock prices and government subsidies. 

I remained dutifully at Siwon's side, smiling prettily and doing my best to look interested in the conversation that swirled around me.  When Siwon wanted to talk to some of the Korean businessmen I would occasionally translate.  Siwon could speak Korean, but after living in China for so long, he was still a bit rusty.

I giggled at another joke I didn't understand and wondered how much longer I would have to stand in these shoes from hell.  I shifted uncomfortably and sent a pitiful look at my poor feet when a sickeningly familiar voice reached my ears.

My head shot up and my eyes searched anxiously for the source of that voice.  I felt the blood drain from my face as I found Seohyun standing before me, introducing herself and giggling in a way that was supposed to be cute.

I felt my stomach clench in panic when I remembered Siwon's saying that the event to celebrate a wedding... a wedding between two prominent Korean families.

My eyes flew around the room as I silently prayed,

"Please no... please no..."

Apparently God wasn't listening because I came face to face with the person I had vowed to never see again.  His eyes widened and I heard him take a sharp breath.

My knees began to wobble and the only thing I could think of was getting away.  I quickly removed my arm from Siwon and turned to run.  Siwon shot me a concerned look but I sent him a shaky smile and whispered in Chinese,

"I'll be right back, I'm gonna run to the restroom"

He smiled warmly and nodded, turning his attention back to Seohyun who continued to talk as she practically Kyuhyun's arm.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kyuhyun make a move to follow me, but mercifully someone held him back.

I turned away and fled the room.  I looked for the bathroom, but got lost in the halls.  I went out one door and found that it led to an outdoor balcony. 

I stepped out into the cold winter air, not even flinching as the icy breeze cut through my exposed skin.  I breathed deeply, trying to calm my heart.  I leaned against the railing and closed my eyes, still in a state of shock.  A million emotions assaulted me, the dominating one fear and disbelief.

I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel, but I knew I needed to get out of here.  I knew Kyuhyun had recognized me and it was only a matter of time before he came looking for me.  I pushed myself into a standing position and focused on the most immediate problem: escape.

I dug my phone out from my purse and was about to dial Siwon's number when a deep voice made me drop the device with a clatter.

"So this is where you went"

I looked up slowly, and gulped when I saw it was Kyuhyun.  I watched as he reached down and picked up my phone.  I took the device from him with trembling hands.  My heart was beating so hard I thought it was going to burst.  I my lips nervously and opened them to speak, but nothing came out.  What was I supposed to say anyway?

I looked up at him, expecting him to yell or even slap me, but he smiled instead.

"Come back inside, Siwon is looking for you"

I blinked, totally confused by his reaction.  This was definitely not what I was anticipating.

His brow furrowed and he questioned,

"You're Lixu, right?"

My mouth went dry.  Did he really not recognize me?

He rubbed the back of his neck and looked sheepish,

"Uh sorry, I bet I startled you.  My name is Cho Kyuhyun, I'm the one hosting this party.  I apologize for staring earlier, but you really are quite beautiful"

I continued to stare at him in disbelief.

He smiled again,

"I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, but it's really cold out here and I'm sure your boyfriend is getting worried.  I'll walk you back"

He put his hand on the small of my back and I stiffened.  He withdrew his hand and murmured "sorry" and offered me his arm instead.

I took it hesitantly, my brain too fuzzy to process anything.  I allowed him to lead me through the winding halls and back into the brightly lit ballroom.

As soon as I entered, Siwon came rushing up, a relieved look on his face.  I quickly took the hand he offered me, still in a daze.

Siwon bowed to Kyuhyun and led me away.  My eyes lingered on Kyuhyun, but he never showed any sign of recognition and he simply rejoined Seohyun.

I knew I should have been relieved but I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I couldn't believe that he really didn't recognize me.  I knew I was disguised as a girl, but still...

I never wanted him to recognize, it would be messy and it would cause both of us pain.  I knew I should have been relieved, I knew it...

But then why did it hurt so bad?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, but I'm just gonna roll with it... too tired to really care -_-

Location: rocking in a dark corner after watching "Les Miserables"

Mood: annoyed... if I hear anymore singing right now imma flip a b*tch

Music: "Where You Are- Instrumental" by CNBLUE (seriously, too much damn singing in that movie... I can only handle instrumentals at this point...)