Resignation from school

Heartbeat

I walked down the hall, numbly. My hand reached for the knob, but I shrinked away, unable to look at anyone. There was no doner. I really had to do this. I clutched my head. I wanted to do this. I told myself it would be the best, and that it wouldn't matter. But it did. I felt myself ripping apart just thinking about myself drifting away from the world. I sank to the cold floor. No tears escaped my eyes. There wasn't any spirit left in me to cry. I just stared blankly at the wall, trying to force myself to become hidden. I distantly noted that the door opened, and shut. Someone sank down beside me. 

"Hye Mi..." Myungsoo whispered. I shook my head. I didn't want him to see me like this. Out of all of them, Myungsoo was the closest to me apart from Sungyeol. 

"Come here." He soothed, and wrapped an arm around me, coaxing me to hug his chest. A small gasp bubbled from my lips, and I fell into his chest, his other arm wrapping around me also. 

"It's ok. I know it's hard. I know.." He kept saying, while the back of my head. I felt the pressure leave my chest, and I inhaled deeply, his scent sending relaxation through me. He started talking in a soft voice, knowing I wouldn't respond.

"Sungyeol asked me to check up on you. He said he had this feeling. That you needed comfort. But he said he wanted me to go. He said you wouldn't want him to see you." Myungsoo whispered. I closed my eyes in pain. 

"You're going to be ok, Hye Mi. Sungyeol has been everywhere, trying to find a doner. Visiting other hospitals. You can't fall now." He continued. *Jiho is also trying* I thought mutely. I nodded against his shoulder.

"That's right. It'll be fine. Whatever happens, we'll be with you until the end. Wherever that may be." He spoke next to my ear. He stood up slowly, pulling me up with him. 

"You ready?" He asked. I nodded, and reached for the knob again. Opening it, I swept across the room, and softened. Jin Gook was lying down, asleep, with everyone fanned out around him. I walked silently over, Myungsoo a step behind me. Sohee was laying next to Dongwoo, her head resting on his shoulder. Dongwoo, of course, was in a deep slumber. Woohyun was sprawled across half the bed, mumbling incoherant things in his sleep. Hoya's head was facedown at the foot of the bed, with Sunggyu on the right, also sprawled out. I chuckled a bit-his eyes looked just about the same either in wake or in sleep. Finally, Sungyeol slept beside Jin Gook, angelic face resting on his arms. 

"What idiots." Myungsoo snickered under his breath. I turned to him. He shrugged.

"We need to wake them up." He said, and chortled at my realization.

 

I stopped by the office in the morning. Somberly, I knocked on the principal's door. 

"Come in." A muffled voice said from inside the office. I went in, and bowed.

"Annehaseyo. I am No Hye Mi. Junior." I greeted. The principal nodded pleasantly, and motioned for the seat infront of him. 

"What brings you here, Hye Mi?" He asked. I gulped.

"I need to resign from the school." I managed as bravely as I could. The principal arched an eyebrow.

"I beg your pardon?" He asked again. I gulped.

"Sir, I have to resign from school." I said again, this time, even braver. The principal stared at me.

"Is it regarding your younger brother?" He pressed. My mouth went dry as I nodded. Of course the principal would know about this. When I registered, the secretary had asked me questions about my family, all in which I answered with 'no'. I had told them I had a younger brother in the hospital, and immediately, pity filled her face. I hated pity. And pity was in the principal's face at that very moment.

"Surely there must be another way to help your brother without leaving the school." The principal proposed. I shook my head stiffly from side to side.

"Sir, I can't hide from this anymore. I need to leave." I said again. Finally, he nodded.

"If that is the only option..then I will consent." He stood up, and opened a drawer, pulling out some files. A withdrawal paper was presented infront of me. Filling everything out, I hesitated when I had to sign it. I looked up at the principal. A look of sympathy passed his face. I looked back down and signed it hastily. I handed it back, and stood up, bowing. To my surprise, he also stood up, and bowed.

"Your acts of courage, and responsibility towards your brother are truly respectable. Please, if everything is settled, do come back." He held out his hand. I slipped my hand in his, and he gave me a reassurring squeeze. I managed a small smile, and walked out. I passed a hallway, and leaned against the wall. I was no longer a student here. I looked up, and saw Jiho walking down the hallway. he stopped when he saw me, and looked in concern at me. I stood up straight.

"Let's talk."