I know

Heartbeat

I watched the sparkly view of the Han river, hands on the rails. I smiled brightly at Sungyeol, who stood next to me, watching me. Turning my attention back onto the water, I felt arms around me, and felt a thudding heart. I turned to see Sungyeol gazing at me. Before I could think of something to say, he swiftly pressed his lips on mine, closing his eyes in the process. I stayed wide-eyed, unable to move. Sungyeol leaned away, and encircled me in his arms. 

"Hye Mi.." He whispered, over and over again.

 

I shot up, and rubbed my eyes, forgetting where I was. I realized I was in the hospital, and Jin Gook was on his knees, staring at me. * I must have fallen asleep here* I slowly thought. The brightness of the hospital indicated that it was early morning. I gathered my things, and quickly stood up.

"Jin Gook-ah, noona has to go right now, for work." I patted Jin Gook's head, and smiled when he nodded ferverently.

"Bye Noona! Don't work too hard." He waved, and I walked out the door. Taking the bus, I ran from the bus stop to my house, and quickly brushed my teeth, not bothering to eat. Throwing on my uniform, I dashed over to the restaurant. My throat constricted a bit when I saw Sohee at the door, bringing the tables and chairs out for the customers wanting to dine outside. I wasn't ready to say good bye. Sohee saw me, and waved merrily.

"Hye Mi! You're here!" She greeted, and continued pulling chairs out. I signed in, and helped her, setting up the tables, and umbrellas that shaded customers from the sun. My stomach growled angrily, and I placed my hand over my belly embarrassingly. Sohee gave me an accusing glance.

"You didn't eat, did you." She didn't bother making it a question. I sheepishly nodded. Sohee whipped out her phone, and texted someone. She snapped it shut, and clapped.

"I hope you like bagels and coffee!" She beamed, and walked into the restaurant, leaving me confused. I stumbled after her, fighting the urge to ask the cook to make me anything. Minutes later, I heard the tinkle of the bell. 

"Good Morning, welcome to-" My voice trailed off as I saw Sungyeol and Woohyun standing in the doorway, both holding a bag of food, and a coffee tray. Sohee rushed over.

"Thank you, oppas!" Sohee took the bag from Woohyun's hand, and grabbed a coffee. Sungyeol walked over to me.

"Here, eat this. I know this isn't much, but at least it'll ease your hunger for the time being." He handed me the bag. I peeked inside, and the scent of delicious bagels filled my mind. I sat down at a table, inviting Sungyeol to sit with me. He slid into his seat as I took a large bite, savouring the sweet flavor it left in my mouth. Sipping my coffee, I watched Sohee and Woohyun interact outside. She giggled as Woohyun casually slung his arm around her. I smiled.

"I'm glad Sohee warmed up to Woohyun oppa." I said, looking at Sungyeol. Instead of replying, his eyes were dark, sad, as if they were holding a secret. I opened my mouth to ask, but thought better of it. *Soon, I won't have that right to ask him anything* I thought. Sungyeol looked away, and turned back with his usual smile.

"I have an idea. Let's have a picnic later in the week. It's perfect weather for a nice afternoon out." Sungyeol suggested. A part of me screamed that I couldn't afford to make myself more vulnerable, but I nodded. 

"That sounds wonderful." I smiled. Sungyeol leaned over, and I blinked slowly as his fingers gently carressed the skin beside my lip. 

"You had a crumb on your cheek." He said softly. Not knowing what to say, I turned my attention back to the bagel. Woohyun re-entered.

"Come on, we have to get going, Sungyeol. Hye Mi, slow down." He frowned at me, and I stopped chewing. 

"I said slow down, not to stop." He chuckled. I began chewing again.

"Bye oppas! See you later!" Sohee waved as Sungyeol and Woohyun left. She sat down infront of me. I blinked at her.

"What?" I asked, sipping my coffee. She shook her head.

"You're too innocent." She laughed.

 

The picnic day arrived, and I walked into the park. Children squealed left and right, chasing each other, playing on the sets, having no worries. *Jin Gook would love it here* My heart squeezed painfully as my grip on my shoulder bag tightened. 

"Hye Mi!" I turned my head in the direction of the voice. My breath caught slightly as Sungyeol strode over, lips curling into the amazing smile I loved. His height set him apart from the other visitors from the park. He stopped infront of me.

"Everyone's here. Lets go." He offered me his hand. I stared at it, and slipped my hand into his. I felt the warmth of his hand, and almost wanted to rip my hand out, and run. This was too painful. He led me over to a huge table, where Sunggyu was already setting up the barbeque. 

"I know how much you love barbeques." Sunggyu smiled, when I arrived. Hoya grinned from his spot at the end of the table, setting up the food.

"And how much you love my skewers." He joked. I attempted a brave smile. Sungjong presented me with a small bouquet of cheery blossoms, tied together with a stem. I softened.

"These aren't as pretty as you, but close." He beamed. Myungsoo coolly sat on the bench, and when I looked at him, he waved lazily, and patted the seat next to him. I sat down, and saw Sohee arrive with Woohyun. Dongwoo suddenly appeared beside me, and I noticed his sweater had fabricated spikes along the back of the hoodie. 

"You like?" Dongwoo said, noticing my stare. I wasn't sure what to say. He got up, and started dancing foolishly infront of me. I broke out into laughter, with Myungsoo chuckling. * Like a cute dinosaur* I mused, when Dongwoo finally settled down. The food was served, and I picked at the meat, all appetite lost.

'What's wrong? Not hungry?" Sunggyu frowned, concerned. My throat dried, hearing him worry about me.

"Noona, are you ok?" Sungjong echoed. Sohee nudged me.

"Are you sick?" She asked, and slid her arm on my forehead. I couldn't do it anymore. I bolted out of my side, and ran. I heard footsteps behind me, and ran faster, air being ripped from my chest. Finally, strong arms stopped me from continuing. I didn't have to look to know it was Sungyeol. His arms felt so natural around me. Pain wretched through me. Sungyeol remained silent. My chest heaved as I tried to calm down, knowing full well this was a recreational park. I felt his arms drop from my waist, moving to my shoulders where he turned me around. I didn't raise my head, too scared to look at his face. Instead, he rested his forehead on mine. I felt his breath  wash over me, and closed my eyes as the last tears slipped past my eyelids. 

"Hye Mi..." he whispered, and I shuddered slightly as I felt his breath hit my face. My lip trembled. 

"I thought I told you not to fight this alone." He said, voice soft. 

"You don't understand.." I croaked. I opened my eyes, and saw Sungyeol searching my face. The look in his eyes was the same as at the restaurant. I was captivated by those probing eyes. His hands caressed my face, and held it as he gazed at me. Slowly, he pressed his lips against mine. *My dream* I thought numbly. Unlike the dream, my eyes fluttered shut almost immediately after his lips met mine. His lips gently overlapped mine, and there was nothing rushed about the kiss. I felt my insides melt, mixed with dread as I realized I had fallen for him. His hand moved from my face, and onto my waist, pulling me closer. My hands rested on his chest lightly as he tilted his head. Tears spilled from my face. When Sungyeol finally leaned away, he wiped the tears with his hand. I choked.

"Sungyeol...I have to...leave you guys." I whispered. His silence pushed me further, my voice rising slightly.

"I have to leave. I can't fall in love with you." I felt resentment as I shunned myself for letting my guard down.

"I have to..give my heart away, to save Jin Gook." I found it difficult to keep my voice level as anguish threatened to break me. I expected him to let go of me. Expected him to yell. Expected him to leave me. But instead, he pulled me close again, bringing my lips to his.

"I know. I've always known." he murmered against my lips.