Transcript

Heartbeat

I blinked out of my daze, and stared at the hospital. Letting out a dry laugh, I wondered how I ended up here. I walked in, and slowly opened the door to Jin Gook's room. He was sleeping peacefully. I tip-toed over, not wanting to wake him, and chuckled at the coloring book on his lap, pencil crayons laying astrew. I picked them up, and placed them on the side table. I brushed my fingers over his furrowed eyebrows, and they flattened peacefully. My heart ached that we had so little options. I noticed his breathing was slightly unbalanced, and placed my palm over his chest, rubbing in a circular motion. Slowly, his breathing turned rhythmic, and I kissed his temples before leaving the room.

"Good afternoon." The doctor greeted when I entered his office. I sat down in his chair, and slumped back. He peered at me over his paperwork, and pushed up his glasses. He took in my hard expression carefully.

"Is this regarding the heart transplant?" He asked cautiously. I felt myself nod curtly, but my heart cried out that I couldn't do it. I couldn't tear myself away from Sungyeol, from Sohee, or from any of them. I dug my nails into my hand, fighting pain with pain. The doctor saw right through me.

"Hye Mi, what you are thinking isn't the only option. We're still searching for doners. We will find one." He said soothingly. 

"What if you don't?" I whispered, hoarse. The doctor reached out to pat my shoulder.

"That is always a possibility, but the future hasn't happened yet, so we need to live in the present." the doctor soothed. I nodded stiffly, and stood up. I bowed.

"Please keep looking, doctor." I plead, and head back to Jin Gook. I sit on the chair next to the bed, and watch his eyelids flutter each breath. He was beautiful. I couldn't let the heavens take him away from me. I brought out my transcript, and began to write.

 

Jules walked under the shade of trees, watching the spring blossoms dance across the sky. Apart from the gorgeous day, her world was black. She heard her name being called, and turned in that direction, a smile now hiding her pain.

"Jules, you're here! We've been waiting for you." Kris called, striding up. Jules watched warily, taking him in slowly. His denim jacket blew back softly in the slight breeze, accentuating his toned, but slim body. His hair was colored chocolately brown, the sunshine lightening it. His eyes were soft and teasing, his lips hiding a smile.

tumblr_m3mc5aMMES1roki78o1_500.jpg

Jules swallowed the pit in , and walked towards Kris, taking his outstretched hand. She felt the warmth of his hand, and smiled ruefully. She wouldn't get the chance to feel that warmth after today. Kris let her towards the others, all sitting cheerfully at a park bench. Elli swung her legs over the bench, her boyfriend Brendon lounging next to her. Jay saw Jules, and his expressionless face softened. Colton clapped and waved cheerfully. Jules felt the lump rise in , and no amount of swallowing would make it go down. Jules sat down, and wrung her hands. Kris noticed, and placed his hands in hers.

"What's wrong?" He asked, his voice silky. Jules moved her hands away, and looked away from him. She cleared .

"Guys.." Her voice came out cracked. She looked at the faces of all her friends, and tears materialized from her eyes. She closed her eyes, letting the tears streak her face. Ellie jumped up.

"Jules?" She called, concerned. Jules took a deep breath. She had to do this. 

"Thank you, guys, for everything." Jules said slowly, eyes focusing on Kris, then at Ellie, then at all the others. They blinked back in confusion, remaining silent. Her breath shuttered, and she closed her eyes.

"This is good-bye." Jules said, voice slightly shaken. Silence followed. She opened her misty eyes, and took in Ellie's look of surprise. She quickly looked away, past them, at a cheery blosssom tree. FInally, Kris spoke.

"Good bye?" He ventured. Jules nodded curtly. She stood up, and took a step back from the table.

"I'm sorry. This is good-bye". Before anyone could say anything, Jules ran off, adrenaline spiking her body as the sobs broke free